FNG Questions

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
This is my first post so please be kind. I have used the search button but I'm still not clear as to what the right answers are to some of my questions. I very recently bought a low mileage 97 GTS. This is after 30 years of driving and racing Fords. I really have close to no knowledge about a Dodge. I'm looking to mildly update/improve my car for track use. I'm planning on 7 or 8 track events this year. I mean road course, not drag racing mostly. I'll also be driving the car to work and around most days when the weather is ok here in Chicago. I think the race version in 97 was a GTS-R. Is that true and is there a list of what parts were changed to bring a GTS up to the higher spec? How about the oil pan? I've read where if you're using soft compound rubber it's recommended you go to a pan with more capacity and the baffles to keep the pick up supplied with oil. Is this pan really over $1000? What about wheels? I'm unclear as to what are Sidewinders or Copperheads or is a set of SSRs really the most cost effective way to go. When I was looking at some of the supporters of this sites webpages looking at wheels I thought that some of the same wheels are either a little over $3000 or a lot more. I think I'm not understanding what some of the definitions are. If I had a choice I would prefer to go with whatever the factory used on their cars but in this economy and starting from scratch again on wheels and tires, I'll buy a bargain. I've already picked up the updated rear calipers and power steering bracket and pulley. This car is a diaster waiting to happen with the factory rear calipers. Any other advice would be appreciated. I'm not looking to create a fire breathing dragon but something competitive that my wife and daughter can still drive. I've wrecked most everything else I've owned and I don't want to do that again. No gutting out the heater and air conditioning and taking off the cats and all of that. I want to go in for emissions testing and not worry about getting my plates suspended. Thank you all.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get better handling, start with eibach springs and a set of Kumho tires. If you want to get rims, call JonB, he can get you both at a great deal(PartsRack.com - Home). He especially likes to be called on Monday :D

The get with Tom for his rear brake upgrade, best way to go for the money. Solid support behind all the products too :2tu: (40mmBrakes Home )

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WELCOME.

There is a different oil pan with baffles available, yes.

A real GTS-R....I think you can forget that!

HF-cats and a nice exhaust will make a big difference in SOUND and HEAT.
Wheels? 18" and sticky PS2. Good for the road and for the track.

Since you are in IL, join the IL VCA and they will HELP YOU!!!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Korina...I'm not going to be able to answer any of your questions, but I wanted to welcome you to the VCA and the viper world. I'm sure that many here will point you in the right direction as to the appropriate mods and where to find suppliers. There are plenty of threads about track modifications and hopefully some knowledgeable members will point them out to you...again Welcome!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
in addition to those listed, k&n/smooth tubes, and depending on the road course, gear swap

new viper owners (new owners, not new cars) are known for wrecking their cars early, respect the tq, and good deal letting family drive the viper, my kids have strict rules that none of their friend can have a test drive - riding as passengers anytime, but never "just once around the block"

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You better learn your car first before you start jumping at adding performace parts. Your remark to the rear calipers are a disaster waiting to happen is way off base also. This is not your Fathers Dodge or anything like any Ford you have driven. I've raced on those rear calipers and going deep into the braking zone doing actual WTW racing.
Go do some HPDE's find out what your comfortable with & what your not. Use your street tires, this will give you an excellent feel for your car. Learn respect, then move on.

Join NASA, let me know if your interested in doing some of the Mid Ohio Events i'll help you out...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Track Prep Questions

what are FNG questions??

97 GTS oe top-10 for 7-8 track events/year:

1) perform frame gusset recalls 998 and 999. Free. May be done already, any dealer can run the vin, but NOT many dealers can do the work.

2) Oil starvation is a known issue 96.5-99, esp with sticky rubber, and any low oil, even 1/2 qt low. DO THE PAN UPGRADE and baffles, save the motor. and Use the right oil.

3) The OE brakes ****. upgrade to Stainless Lines; Lighter slotted rotors and grippy pads like Brakeman3; Tom's rear caliper swap-grade. Better fluid, ie Motul 600; Brake cooling, Cone Kit and/or Porsche Ducts. DO SOME COOLING or do some fading...

4) Performance alignment. DO THIS, huge difference.

5) Power Steering fluid upgrade and TIGHT cap, or bleeder cap.

6) 96-97 PCV line swap. $25

7) Lightweight SSRs are more suited to your oe suspension and steering and brakes. Why go heavier-slower? SSR+Tires track-Kumhos $3440 mounted/balanced. !!! These are the most cost-effecive and competitive. Double-winner. EZ Search too.

8) Eibachs are a lower, progressive spring, Change to these and tighten your ADJUSTABLE REBOUND when you swap. Yes, your OE shocks are REBOUND adjustable! Lower C.G. is a good thing.

9) 6-point harnesses can save you from injury if / when your 12-year-old car breaks at speed.

10) Go back and insert this at #1: DRIVING INSTRUCTION = "SOFTWARE Upgrade"
You can add 200 HP and go 2 sec faster, but take a couple good schools and go 6-10 sec faster!!!

The GTS-R was soooo different you need $150,000 to start. Not street legal. Not the same. Apples -to - Tuesdays comparison. Call for history lessons, free with purchase!!! Really!

I was an instructor and tech inspector for Viper Days years ago, and helping owners get track-ready since 1993. The above will be a great start. Call me, but Monday AM is a maniacal rush.....

Thank Yu and BE SAFE

Hello Everyone,
This is my first post so please be kind. I have used the search button but I'm still not clear as to what the right answers are to some of my questions. I very recently bought a low mileage 97 GTS. This is after 30 years of driving and racing Fords. I really have close to no knowledge about a Dodge. I'm looking to mildly update/improve my car for track use. I'm planning on 7 or 8 track events this year. I mean road course, not drag racing mostly. I'll also be driving the car to work and around most days when the weather is ok here in Chicago. I think the race version in 97 was a GTS-R. Is that true and is there a list of what parts were changed to bring a GTS up to the higher spec? How about the oil pan? I've read where if you're using soft compound rubber it's recommended you go to a pan with more capacity and the baffles to keep the pick up supplied with oil. Is this pan really over $1000? What about wheels? I'm unclear as to what are Sidewinders or Copperheads or is a set of SSRs really the most cost effective way to go. When I was looking at some of the supporters of this sites webpages looking at wheels I thought that some of the same wheels are either a little over $3000 or a lot more. I think I'm not understanding what some of the definitions are. If I had a choice I would prefer to go with whatever the factory used on their cars but in this economy and starting from scratch again on wheels and tires, I'll buy a bargain. I've already picked up the updated rear calipers and power steering bracket and pulley. This car is a diaster waiting to happen with the factory rear calipers. Any other advice would be appreciated. I'm not looking to create a fire breathing dragon but something competitive that my wife and daughter can still drive. I've wrecked most everything else I've owned and I don't want to do that again. No gutting out the heater and air conditioning and taking off the cats and all of that. I want to go in for emissions testing and not worry about getting my plates suspended. Thank you all.

OP
OP
K

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the good advice here. I've been running Hoosiers or R-1s for the past 4 or 5 years at places like Road America or Blackhawk and I have some limited open wheel experience. I'm coming out of a 2800lbs Pantera that needed to be trailered. I guess I should be more specific as to what I'm looking for. What I'm really looking for is a baseline on what I need to do to the car to make it track ready. I'm talking driving to the track with a bunch of my friends and their Z0-6s,Nobles or 911s. No one trailers and there are no changes tires at the track. Good pads and fluid of course. Maybe some camber and caster.I'm imagine we'll all be using soft compound tires like Cup Sports, Kuhmos or Goodrich R-1s. I read a thread a few days ago about the SSRs. They seem to be light and affordable. I want to buy a set of racing wheels for this car once. I really want to drive the car and not work on it. I'm getting too old to be laying underneath a car past midnight and then getting up at 5:00am to go to the track. The oil pan is concern #1 to me. I don't want dry bearings. Thank you all again.

OP
OP
K

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Jon,
I'll call you Monday. FNG= F$#@ing New Guy.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the good advice here. I've been running Hoosiers or R-1s for the past 4 or 5 years at places like Road America or Blackhawk and I have some limited open wheel experience. I'm coming out of a 2800lbs Pantera that needed to be trailered. I guess I should be more specific as to what I'm looking for. What I'm really looking for is a baseline on what I need to do to the car to make it track ready. I'm talking driving to the track with a bunch of my friends and their Z0-6s,Nobles or 911s. No one trailers and there are no changes tires at the track. Good pads and fluid of course. Maybe some camber and caster.I'm imagine we'll all be using soft compound tires like Cup Sports, Kuhmos or Goodrich R-1s. I read a thread a few days ago about the SSRs. They seem to be light and affordable. I want to buy a set of racing wheels for this car once. I really want to drive the car and not work on it. I'm getting too old to be laying underneath a car past midnight and then getting up at 5:00am to go to the track. The oil pan is concern #1 to me. I don't want dry bearings. Thank you all again.

OK, you can skip the Novice school then! The other advice stands..Monday.......Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte