Fog Lights!!??

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had so many questions for the SRT guys, but I didn't get a chance to get to this one....why no fog lamps on the new car? That's a signature a feature as anything else on the exterior of the car. I did notice that the AMLS car had them though (and I think it looks good). Thoughts?

tws

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I would like to see fog lights. Probably reserved for the gts car.

ArnarFB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

SRT should make something like this an option

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car they showed and all the picture are of the GTS, not the Viper version

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The front fascia with the integrated fog lights on the GTSR is perfect! The photos of that thing on the track are just blowing me away the same way the original GTS did years ago.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys you are right they really missed the boat on this one....no fogs....that's a must have. This, I believe is the Ferrari influence as in 599 influence....no fogs whatsoever on those cars. The fogs need to be on this car otherwise the 599 Viper will be just that, an American exotic muscle car reworked with a significant 599 influence. The one thing I also missed when thinking about fog lights is the retro round scalloped scoop in front of the doors. If they had the 06-10 "slash" with the fogs integrated into the front end they would have a winner. Close but not close enough. It will still be an unreal car but lets wait for the tests to come out.

ArnarFB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually prefer the old Gen I/II/V over the Gen III/IV side vents/scoops. They just flow so nicely with the rest of the car.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Fictional brake ducting instead and a great choice IMHO

They could have done something SOOO much cooler, and still get the benefits. For example, what about a row of white LED's that function as a fog light, located inside on the edge the brake duct? Or how about a fog light positioned in the center of the duct with an aerodynamic profile, so that it would appear to be "floating"? Neither would have a negative impact.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhhh no.
The ACR's in Gen II never had them. They are not any less of a Viper. Plus you have the LED's in the new one. You have all the light you need. Just extra weight and more things to break IMHO.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the look of fog lights but I don't think there needed with the LEDs. It would just add weight.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who takes their Viper out in the fog or pending fog, except San Fran and Seattle? Yesterday's look imo. I agree with Sween, LED's are today, and rule.

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wishing for fogs too. I believe LED's took their place but I'm really missing them. Let the street cars have them and use area for brake ducting on the ACR's.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GEN V does not have fogs as they actually create LIFT on our Vipers. I agree they are a trademark of the Viper front end but I would sacrifice that look for the performance aspect. I remember the VOI 11 concept had LED fogs that were in a line running up the fascia.

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I call BS on this comment. And you have wind tunnel results to show this? Those lights are inset and pretty much flat. If anything these lights will cause drag and not lift but not even worth worrying about. At 205 MPH a .001 % change because of a fog light is negligible at best. if you think that lights on our cars will make the difference between taking off like a frisbee and staying planted on the ground I really think you are dreaming. As well, led lights acting as fog lights do not belong that high up on the car. Those dinky little lights are not proven by any stretch....purely cosmetic at this stage...All they are is "trim lights" that just look cool but that's about it. Just wait til a led burns out, this will set off a chain reaction similar to Christmas tree lights burning out as the light manufacturers have the burn life figured out down to the hour. Once one burns out then you will be replacing light after light. Also good luck replacing one light, not going to happen. Over rated cosmetics in my mind but lets see how these things fare out. I say go back to the wind tunnel and show us the results. Just my .02 and too much micro analysis.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I call BS on this comment. And you have wind tunnel results to show this? Those lights are inset and pretty much flat. If anything these lights will cause drag and not lift but not even worth worrying about. At 205 MPH a .001 % change because of a fog light is negligible at best. if you think that lights on our cars will make the difference between taking off like a frisbee and staying planted on the ground I really think you are dreaming. As well, led lights acting as fog lights do not belong that high up on the car. Those dinky little lights are not proven by any stretch....purely cosmetic at this stage...All they are is "trim lights" that just look cool but that's about it. Just wait til a led burns out, this will set off a chain reaction similar to Christmas tree lights burning out as the light manufacturers have the burn life figured out down to the hour. Once one burns out then you will be replacing light after light. Also good luck replacing one light, not going to happen. Over rated cosmetics in my mind but lets see how these things fare out. I say go back to the wind tunnel and show us the results. Just my .02 and too much micro analysis.

If I remember correctly I believe Dick Winkles told us this at our holiday party back in '08 when the GEN IV ACR had come out. I remember being shocked by the comment but thats what I was told. Now I have no wind tunnel data to prove it but this is what we were told.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang