Fogs and Lows On With Highbeams

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to keep the fogs and low beams on along with the high beams? Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Sal

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I remember, you cannot have the high beams and fogs on at the same time. I know In my GEN II it will automatically turn off the fogs once the high beams are turned on (stated in the owners manual). I assume it does the same thing on the GEN III - IV cars

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the LX-LC vehicles/Chargers, Magnums, 300's, Challengers (which I have), it's a EuroSpec deal. In the U.S. the fogs are supposed to turn off once the high beams are activated. In Europe, they are all allowed to be on at the same time.
In the StarScan and StarMobile devices at the dealership, when they plug into the ECM, there is a basic On/Off for EuroSpec vehicles. It's there because in the case of the 300 and Magnum and occasional Challenger there is a European version whether the car was built in Brampton, Ontario or Mexico.
You may want to contact your local Viper dealer to see if there is the same option for your car year.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy to do on a Gen 2. There is a relay that turns off the fogs if the highs come on. Cutting one leg off the relay allows all 6 lights to come on at once.

Instructions complements of Luc 2000GTS

Anyways, here is a free,5 minutes way to do it.
1/ open the hood
2/ Remove the Power Distribution Center black plastic cover
3/ Locate and remove the Fog lamp logic relay.(on my 2000, it is the last one closest to the windshield)
4/ Once it is removed you will see 5 tabs/prongs on it's bottom.
Each one have a # printed on the relay housing.
87A
It look like that:
_
| | _
_
Now you have to cut tab/prong # 86.
On the drawing above, that will be the horizontal tab on the top.
That's it, you are done.
Put the relay, plastic cover back on and enjoy the extra light.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is a canadian model .Low beam comes on [ DRL ] when parking brake released . Fog light can be turned on with low beam and turns off when high beam switched on.

Last edited:

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the LX-LC vehicles/Chargers, Magnums, 300's, Challengers (which I have), it's a EuroSpec deal. In the U.S. the fogs are supposed to turn off once the high beams are activated. In Europe, they are all allowed to be on at the same time.
In the StarScan and StarMobile devices at the dealership, when they plug into the ECM, there is a basic On/Off for EuroSpec vehicles. It's there because in the case of the 300 and Magnum and occasional Challenger there is a European version whether the car was built in Brampton, Ontario or Mexico.
You may want to contact your local Viper dealer to see if there is the same option for your car year.

While a StarScan should be able to enable this, any reputable dealer will likely not want to for liability and safety reason.
If you were to find someone with thier own StarScan...
I'd be more concerned with what local law enforcement would do.
Are you doing a lot of night driving? What about upgrading the stock headlamp bulbs?

PS, the 300s and 300 Touring models for Europe are assembled in Austria, left and right hand drive, (no Magnum). All Challengers are made at Brampton, though I don't think there's a right hand drive (someone?).

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my local dealer use the starscan on my 2009 5500 Ram and all they did was tell the computer my truck was in Mexico! :omg: I can have my driving lights on with low beam AND high beam witch makes a huge difference. I would bet the same thing can be done with the Viper. As for the law, 99.9% of police and regular people probably don't even realize having them all on at the same time is illeagal in the USA. I will try to get my 2009 ACR set up this way once I get my MOPAR ECM installed.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to start a thread on this subject a few weeks ago.

Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me?
When I first got my car in 2008 the DRL default was the amber marker lights. When I turned on the car, these were the only daytime driving lights that came on automatically- kinda like the new Challengers.
The fog lights or low beams did not come on unless switched on.

Now, this last summer, I noticed when I turned on the car, the amber lights did not automatically come on but the fogs did - without activating the fog switch.
Its like the car just decided overnight to change the daytime light setup.
How can this be possible ?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I first got my car in 2008 the DRL default was the amber marker lights. When I turned on the car, these were the only daytime driving lights that came on automatically- kinda like the new Challengers.

Now, this last summer, I noticed when I turned on the car, the amber lights did not automatically come on but the fogs did - without activating the fog switch.

What have you been smoking? Please step away from the drugs. :omg:

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Id say you have a problem/opportunity. Something has gone crazy.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will this work on Gen4 cars?
I added a relay off the true ignition wire to keep the fogs on at all times in my Gen IV. Took an hour and works perfectly. Relay and socket was about 5 bucks. I also installed 4100k HID's in my fogs...so they are around the same color as the low beams.

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of it either. I want lows, fogs and highs on at the same time. Dark curvy roads here.

Illegal.
Thats why its set up the way it is.
If you somehow forget to turn the highs off due to an oncoming car - All three sets of lights on will blind the hell out of them making things dangerous for you and them.

And no guys, I'm not smoking drugs. I've even got pics back in 08 showing the car only with the ambers on - and now the fogs come on instead.
jman2 - my car is CAD. The only plausible explanation I can think of is that the previous owner coded the system to be set up that way and when I disconnected the battery for the winter it came back on as a different DRL setup.

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe it is the fogs that are supposed to be the DRL's in Canada. This is what I have seen anyway.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why it's illegal to drive with fogs and highs on at the same time?
I have never heard of such a law!
PBR
I don't believe it's that the law says you CAN'T have them on all at the same time, but it does limit the amount of lumens you can project from the car. Haveing all 3 sets on at the sime time would push them over the limit, in most cases, so the manufactures just automatically turn off the fog lights.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a ticket the other day...it was for 'Too many lumens in a school zone' or maybe it was 'Too many lumens above the posted lumen limit'...sorry...I just think this thread is getting funny and I wanted to play along. ;)

I do plan on trying the OPs suggestion though. :D
Please return to normal operating conditions.

Last edited:

TheMilkman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to see the officer with the Lumen meter out checking the candle lumen factor of the front of the car.

Then in court you would be all "But the passing cars and ambient street lighting along with the police cruiser Red and Yellows were interfering with the Lumen tester and thus making it's readings higher and thus invalid"

Plus, I have always wondered when you see those "Noise Ordinance Enforced" signs do police have decibel meters so as to catch people with loud radios? What if my radio was 2 decibels under the legal limit, and my car with 6 lights on was just a hair under the possible lumens limit?

:smirk:

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope these aren't illegal:D

You must be registered for see images

They are only a shade darker than I had them before without incident. Oops.. I danded off any DOT lettering there may have been.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus, I have always wondered when you see those "Noise Ordinance Enforced" signs do police have decibel meters so as to catch people with loud radios? What if my radio was 2 decibels under the legal limit, and my car with 6 lights on was just a hair under the possible lumens limit?

:smirk:

They do carry decibal meters. I've seen them inuse.

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I added a relay off the true ignition wire to keep the fogs on at all times in my Gen IV. Took an hour and works perfectly. Relay and socket was about 5 bucks. I also installed 4100k HID's in my fogs...so they are around the same color as the low beams.

Do they come on automatically when you turn the lights on? If so can you give me some wiring. If jcaspar1's remedy doesn't work on a gen3 I'll do it your way.
Thanks

OP
OP
B

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd try the mod but my car is apart. Someday soon!!!!

Fogs are lighter:

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do they come on automatically when you turn the lights on? If so can you give me some wiring. If jcaspar1's remedy doesn't work on a gen3 I'll do it your way.
Thanks

They come on automatically when you turn the key if you do it as I show below. If you prefer that they only come on when you turn the lights on, you'd have to wire it so that pin 85 gets a 12-volt feed from both the low and high beams, using diodes on each feed to isolate them (1N4001 diode with stripe towards relay on each wire). You don't want them to feedback to each other; that's what the diodes do. I prefer having them come on with ignition anyway, because in Canada, those are the DRL's and the law requires that they be on all the time, day or night.

Here you go...

1) Standard 5 pin automotive 30 AMP relay and socket.
2) Pin 85 - ignition source...under hood. Ignition will be on through ignition/crank/run. YMMV on exact color/year etc. (multimeter required)
3) Pin 86 - chassis ground
4) Pin 30 - high current 12 volt constant source - ie; battery etc...
5) Pin 87 - hot side (+12) of fogs, common to both so you only need to connect one light for both to work.
6) Pin 87a - NOT USED

***********SOLDER ALL CONNECTIONS AND TAPE WELL**************

I don't remember the colors of the ignition source or the 12 volts constant I used, but it's easy to find with a multimeter or if someone here has a shop manual, they can tell you which color and where.

Keep the relay secured in a dry area, away from electronics.

Last edited: