? for Luke about PS2's vs. PS.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently switched to PS2's they work great in the rain or dry pavement as for the difference my pilot sports were 6 years old and basically petrified doughnuts at the time I removed them,so I can't say with any accuracy.

FSTENUF

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i went from the ps to the ps2 and they are very good tires.gripping in the turns and hooking up on the street. tire life is shorter, but they make more:2tu:

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the PS2 uses an asymmetrical tread design with larger outside shoulder elements and a high grip compound on the outer shoulder, to obtain better cornering. While using a high silica content coupound on the inner portion of the tread surface along with smaller tread elements with a higher void ratio to improve wet grip and hydroplaning resistance. These design features make the tire perform much better than its predecesor, the Pilot Sport, in both wet and dry comditions ....

oh and Juli ... JonB gets his tire information from me ;)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the PS2 uses an asymmetrical tread design with larger outside shoulder elements and a high grip compound on the outer shoulder, to obtain better cornering. While using a high silica content coupound on the inner portion of the tread surface along with smaller tread elements with a higher void ratio to improve wet grip and hydroplaning resistance. These design features make the tire perform much better than its predecesor, the Pilot Sport, in both wet and dry comditions ....

Sounds a little geekish, But it's car talk. I guess real men can use fancy words about cars and not be a geek.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Call Jon from PartsRack...juli

I was Autocrossing at VOI on PS. When I took my half-used 2-year old PS off my GTS and added PS2 during luch, I was TWO SECONDS FASTER in that 50-second layout.

That is LIGHT YEARS in an AutoCross.

We have DOZENS of anecdotes that say lap times are much better (as well as the RIDE) with PS-2. The handling is noticable even to a novice.

I do get all my tech info from Luke and Michelin..... I get my hands-on info (VIPER SPECIFIC) from my own Vipers (lots of track time as Pace Car) and my customers......

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do get all my tech info from Luke and Michelin..... I get my hands-on info (VIPER SPECIFIC) from my own Vipers (lots of track time as Pace Car) and my customers......

You must be registered for see images

To both of you!~! Luke--you are always the one I refer people to for tires/wheels; I had just remembered that Jon posted about having PS2's before also, thanx for filling me in that he gets his info from you!!! Always good to find out accurate information!~!:2tu:
~juli~

viperrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke, you might be interested to know that according to an email from Bill Ozinga from the Tire Rack in South Bend, Indiana the PS2 size for the front of a Viper SRT10 is "tire speciific to Mercedes" and not recommended by Tire Rack for use on a Viper!

jeffareid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke, you might be interested to know that according to an email from Bill Ozinga from the Tire Rack in South Bend, Indiana the PS2 size for the front of a Viper SRT10 is "tire speciific to Mercedes" and not recommended by Tire Rack for use on a Viper!
There are 3 PS2 tires in the 275/35/ZR18 size. The one you want is the Viper version:

275/35/ZR18 service description (95Y) C1
Michelin part number 84530 (Viper tire)

The ones you don't want are:

275/35/ZR18 service description 95Y MO
Michelin part number 94902 (Mercedes tire)

275/35/ZR18 service description (95Y)
Michelin part number 36599 (Generic tire)

There's only one PS2 for the rear:

345/30/ZR19 service descriptor (105Y) C1
Michelin part number 33625

Note that on the tire, the PS2 is in very small letters. However the C1 will be prominent.

Iceman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of what the tire looks like mounted?

The thread design just does not look as cool as the old PS's.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bill, or as we call him here "Oz" is a web design guy and an accomplished racer but, is not as up to date on the technical side of things as he could be, since his position does not require it. The Viper specific version, which has just recently been released, is the best choice when considering PS2's but, Michelin did state that the Benz version could be used in conjunction with the PS2 Viper specific rear, prior to the release of the front Viper specific PS2.

OP
OP
A

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To revive an old thread...
Luke,
Here's the deal, I need new rears, but the fronts are fine with about 8/32ths on them, no checking and even wear, and date coded 2505. The 335/35/17s are out of production (though still showing as avail. on the Tirerack website). Should I get PS1s for the rear? PS2s on the rear, keep the PS1s on the front (think it would look odd). Thoughts?

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mixing and matching tires is nver a good idea ... if keeping Pilot Sports on the front put Pilot Sports on the rear ... .if putting Pilot SPort PS2's on the rear put them on the front as well

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456