Gas Lid Bubbles? Help?

vettegc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this a clear coat or some type of plastic coating? Anybody dealt with this.
I guess I can try and scrape it off? Is it needed?

You must be registered for see images attach

LaViper

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
:omg: I do believe they do have a "Clear coat" over the polished Aluminum. Send it to a chrome shop like Advanced Plating & it will look better than new. :drive:

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes you can remove the clearcoat and just keep it polish?

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the same to mine. I removed that clearcoat with paint remover. You wiill have to re-polish it/chrome it after you do though because it will be dirty and streaky. I plan on getting mine chromed over the winter.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is there a way to get this thing apart? id like to get the lid off of the body as well as the arm that holds it closed off. it will make it a tonne easier to polish

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just tied to take it apart. got the two larger wedges out and then broke the hinge portion of the gas cap! Is there a replacement available, or do i have to buy a MGW one :(

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrome is too shinny IMO

MGW is a gawdy piece of rice IMO

Stock with the clearcoat sanded off and the aluminum polished down to whatever sheen suits your personal taste is another option. I like mine with a satin/brushed finish, Like 1000grit or so. You do have to maintain it every-once-in-awhile. Actually, Im due, so since this thread inspired me i will re-polish mine this weekend and post some pics. (I polish leaving the cap on the Viper)

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, maybe it is because I read iy cellphone but I wasn't sure if it was the mgw being gawdy or him polishing the cap while on his car

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that the MGW cover looks gaudy, having the Viper badge on it. I think of the Viper as a race car for the street, so, I am not in to blinging it up. In my mind, it is like putting a diamond earring/stud on a prizefighter. It certainly is done, and it is some people's "style". It just looks out of place to me. Does anyone care what I think? I don't think so.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do believe there is overkill, personally adding more shine to an ready **** car is acceptable. There are emblems and font all over the car so what's another one?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not consider a gas cap with OEM logo as "blinging" it up but to eaches own. Guess tinting the windows is out of the question as well.

Window tint isn't jewelry. It is functional. Not the same argument. IMHO. I guess that would end up in a discussion of color of the tint. Are we talking gray or yellow tint ! Good luck on your sale. I was not trying to discourage a prospective buyer, if that's the way you took my comment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte