Gas Prices

S

SUN RA KAT

GAS prices

Motorists who think they've been charged unfairly high prices can report to the government at 800-244-3301 or gaswatch.energy.gov. The Federal Trade Commission investigates complaints of price-gouging.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Government, keeping us safe.
How would one know if the price was unfair? Higher than all the other stations?
I'd probably skip the federal case and go to one of the other stations.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its the tax stupid.Fed,State,County,sales,property,gross receipts,transportation on the tanker trucks,etc,etc,etc,etc........... Bruce

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I saw OPEC was cutting production.
Price hike probably has something to do with that.

Hey, I also read that Iraq oil production is up higher than pre war. At least a little progress. Perhaps they can pay some bills soon.

I heard that on a radio talk show interview. Nothing on TV about it. Nothing in the paper.

Also, US casualties were way down last month. Nothing on TV about it. Nothing in the paper.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read several articles on various financial websites.

The consensus is that production will fall slightly (between OPEC and further problems with Venezuela).

At the same time, US demand for oil just keeps going up, up, up, as we sure do love our big SUVs.

Gas prices will only go in one direction, unless Bush's buddies do something drastic just in time for the election.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of which (and not to hijack the thread)...

Nothing cracks me up more than people who buy the BIG SUV's that get 7 miles to the gallon and then COMPLAIN that gas prices are too high. If you can't afford the gas, DON'T BUY THE VEHICLE!

I mean seriously... if gas prices DOUBLE, then the annual cost paid for gas only DOUBLES. So $500 / year becomes 1000... If you were paying $750 for gas, it becomes $1500.

IT AINT THAT MUCH!

phew. Thanks for letting me vent.

JD

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I don't see the logic in this. Regardless of how much it equates to at the end of the year, month, etc... It is still double what I usually pay. Granted $1500 a year is not that much money, but it doesn't mean that I am going to sit back and say, "It's okay if they want to double or even triple the price of <whatever>, just as long as I can still afford it."

Bottom line is, the price is unjust!

Mark
:)

Nothing cracks me up more than people who buy the BIG SUV's that get 7 miles to the gallon and then COMPLAIN that gas prices are too high. If you can't afford the gas, DON'T BUY THE VEHICLE!

I mean seriously... if gas prices DOUBLE, then the annual cost paid for gas only DOUBLES. So $500 / year becomes 1000... If you were paying $750 for gas, it becomes $1500.

IT AINT THAT MUCH!

phew. Thanks for letting me vent.

JD

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Government, keeping us safe.
How would one know if the price was unfair? Higher than all the other stations?
I'd probably skip the federal case and go to one of the other stations.

Can't go to another station when they all jack up the prices! $2.35 to $2.57 for premium. Was around $1.87 10 days ago,Think somebody is greedy and getting rich?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was a lad, ever notice how many of my posts start like this?
Anyway, I worked at a Sunoco station in Alexandria Virginia. In 1965 the best gas we sold, Sunoco 260, hit .40/gallon. I remember because I thought that was a big deal.
The best gas I can buy now costs less than $2/gallon. I don't know exactly how much but it's less than $2.
Most things have gone up more than that since 1964.

I don't think there is any big conspiracy, other than OPEC, trying to gouge the public.
Look at all the companies involved in the process. Who is making all the money?
Buy their stock.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who is making all the money?
Buy their stock.

Won't work- A few select higher-ups pocket the lion's share of that money for themselves... shareholders see very little of it.

This is true in most businesses though, not just oil.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now come on.
How can "a few higher-ups" pocket enough money to change the price of gas nationwide?

The price per barrel of oil is set by commodity trading every minuet of the day.
The price of gasoline is a commodity with it's price set the same way.

If a corporation is paying more than it should because some "higher-ups" are skimming, then the difference would be noticed by anyone who looked at the books.

I agree that the price of gasoline seems to be manipulated from time to time. I just don't think some guys are getting the money. It's xom and their competitors.
Buy the stock.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Around here, regular (which sadly, only one of my three vehicles takes) is about $1.67. Sure, it's more than it used to be...but so is everything else.

I am always amazed when people cry about a gallon of gas costing $2.00....but they are the same ones line up at Starbucks to happily pay $3.00 for a 12 ounce cup or coffee!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's the air.

When different parts of the country have local air quality problems, they become an EPA non-attainment area. Then they institute oxygenated gasoline and reformulated gasoline (not the same) requirements. That means instead of one "type" of gasoline, oil companies have to make two types, but distribute all 130,000,000,000 gallons per year the US consumes through the original distribution system.

Now that MTBE is being banned, expect the distribution problem to go up some more. Ethanol as a replacement for MTBE... sounds good, but BZZZZT. Ethanol is so hydrophilic (it likes water) that pipelines won't let you send it through. That means the ethanol is shipped separately to the local terminal where it is mixed with gasoline (and where the truck picks it up from to deliver to the station). Worse yet, because the ethanol is so different from gasoline, the oil companies have to make yet another special version of gasoline just to be blended with ethanol... and now you still have to distribute it through the original system.

So shortages are likely, shipping and timing issues are more critical, and the distribution system is stresses because there are several types of gasoline out there. It will eventually be cheaper if the EPA requires reformulated gasoline across the country, because then the refineries and pipelines are back to dealing with a reasonable number of products.

Oh yeah; taxes, profits, supply vs. demand (anybody using less gasoline?) all are part of it, too.

Hissses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Around here, regular (which sadly, only one of my three vehicles takes) is about $1.67. Sure, it's more than it used to be...but so is everything else.

I am always amazed when people cry about a gallon of gas costing $2.00....but they are the same ones line up at Starbucks to happily pay $3.00 for a 12 ounce cup or coffee!

So from your statement you would not complain if they raised the cost of regular to, lets see on my way home the Arco was $2.19 per gallon for regular in your area! Inflation is one thing but a 30 percent increse in 10 days is something else. Yes prices do go up and I do not have a problem with that. I do have a problem with people being ***** by big corporations! I don't drink Starbucks but if they raised there prices the same way gas prices have been raised I don't think as many people would be buying Starbuck's.
I'm not sure but around here peoples pay checks are not going up at the same rate as inflation let alone gas prices. Not crying just my two cents worth, that what 2 drops of gas?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do you know what the number one reason the Hummer H2 gets a bad JD Powers QUALITY score??? Customers complaining about poor mileage! To JD powers, a problem is a problem. Doesn't matter if it's a broken radio, a scratch, or the wipers don't clean as good as you think they should. I remember someone complaining that their 325 didn't have enough power. BUY A 330 or an M3, DUH!

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a somewhat more pragmatic view of gas prices. When I joined the work force 40+ years ago I made $2.20 an hour and a gallon of premium cost about $0.24; a little over 10% of my hourly wage. (Gas wars would bring it down to $0.17 or lower; anybody remember them?)
I'm retired now but if I was still working at my trade I'd be making about $24 an hour and premium costs $2.30 around here so, in my case, gas is actually cheaper than it was 40 years ago.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right,
as I said in my other post on this,
as long as there are no gas lines, even at the new price levels, it isn't something that I care about.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We shouldn't care at these bargain prices....in Europe gas is about 1 euro per liter. Works out to $5 per gallon U.S.

With Iraq costing us so much, I think we should get 100% of their oil for the next 10 years, free.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the gas price update. I thought the gas tank for my SRT was much larger than my GTS. I could only fit about $25 worth of gas into my GTS a few years back. Now I can fit over $30 worth in my SRT. :cool:

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys, gas is too cheap at anything under 4 bucks. The problem is our government ****** any extra money away that they should be using to better the transportation system (or any system for that matter), so we would not see a benefit from a "realistic" gas price. Gas is WAY TOO CHEAP in the US and we, as a country, waste it. How many cars are driving around with more than one person in them?

How could a Viper owner worry about gas expenditures? A 500 cubic inch gas guzzler is not efficient, it's FUN. At 2 dollars a gallon given inflation, gas is much cheaper than 40 cents in the 60's.

Chad

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Hummer and a Viper. I would feel like a fool complaining about gas prices so I won't. I'm still pissed about them though.

ElCapo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The idea that gas is too cheap if it's under $4/Gallon is insane. I'm about the biggest right-wing conservative guy you'll find, but the impact to the "working man" is far to high. The pain average Americans would feel is not offset by some magic improvement in the transportation system.

If you trust the Federal government to spend your money wisely, I've got some beachfront land in Montana for you.

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
The prices are going up to keep people home so it is not so hard to keep track of you ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang