Gen 1 exhaust advice

mackb67

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Took the 92 for a blast down the interstate and to say the least, I was far from thrilled with the exhaust note. It was more a loud hiss than a note that I would think more suitable for a Viper. I am guessing it is a catalytic converter issue so it looks like its time to do some exhaust work.Its a 22 year old car with 23K on it so obviously it has not been driven very much. I know that there are various exhaust options from cat delete to high flow cats to weld all the pieces together to bolt on. How about some ideas???

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did 3 inch straight pipe, no cats, or mufflers on my 94, and its not as loud as I thought it would be. Also have edlebrock headers. Love the decel pop. I also don't have any exhaust odor at all in the car. There is some drone in lower rpms, but it doesn't bother me at all

BigMrE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
During my [ongoing] search, I had the opportunity to sit in and turn on (but not drive) a 2001 GTS with, according to the dealer, a full Belanger setup. It was wonderfully loud. :) The car had nearly 100,000 miles, had been tracked and drifted, had been set up to look like an ACR, and they were asking for nearly $50k on it...I declined but it sold close to full price not long after I looked at it.

For what it's worth, I was willing to deal with the mileage and the fact that it had been modded and tracked, but the dealer and I could not agree on a price.

Last edited:

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having listened to numerous examples of Viper sound bites for all the different exhaust systems available there are really no great sounds out there unless you go with headers and a cam. The V10 will never have the sound of a V8 since the firing order is different. Will always sound like a "UPS" truck as they say. I have thought about removing the cats but then you've got drone and still don't sound like a big block 454 with a roller cam, headers and glass packs. I love my car but have always been dissatisfied with the exhaust tone. Search YouTube for sound clips. The UPS sounds you'll hear from the different exhausts only get louder. Not throatier. Bottom line...stock sounds like $__t without some motor work IMHO. Good luck. Cheapest way to go is get rid of the cats. Listen and drive for a while. You'll most likely put them back on or wear earplugs because of the drone. Some like it some don't. The popping and flames coming out the sidepipes with straight pipes are fun for a while but it starts to get old. Don't get me wrong, would love to have a sound where people hear you before they see you but it ain't happenin' without putting some big bucks in motor and exhaust.

s55c

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use hi-flo cats with the corsa set up made for the newer vipers.... shorten the turnout, add the mount pins thenmeasure and add the small cat and it fits like a glove,,, and NOTHING sounds as good without the drone as them corsa's...

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The basic problem is that with side pipes, you're hearing two individual 5 cylinder engines, one from each ear. Even with rear exit GTS's, you still hear it a bit. The note can be improved with different exhaust, but the human ear just isn't attuned to 5 cylinders. The STR10s have a crossover built in to help improve the exhaust note.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang