Got the HP on the '04 to normal, but something is about to let go ...

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Got the HP on the \'04 to normal, but something is about to let go ...

Hi Everyone,
Between replacing the spark plugs and doing a compression test, the HP on our 2004 SRT came up to the "normal" range, even though we actually didn't "find" anything wrong. It's now at about 429 RWHP and in the 455 RWTQ range.
Now the new problem. We had the car on the dyno and had just done 2 pulls. On the second pull, I heard and felt a faint "clunk" right after I shifted (I shift from 1st to 3rd on the dyno). I thought, "hmm, maybe a strap hook moved".
We put some different parts on the car to test and started to do another pull. The noise was there again, but it did it as I started letting the clutch out and rolling the tires. I had Dave and Doug look under the car as I made it do the clunking again and again. All we could see was the differential did a quick shake right after the wheels started moving. We checked, but everything visible was tight.
I started to prepare for another pull to begin our testing. when shifting to 3rd and 4th, I noticed the clunk was there and much harder. I had Dave make it do the noise, lightly loading and unloading in 4th gear.
I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, diff, trans or axle, but it's getting worse very fast. We stopped running the car for concern that something is about to break, big time.
It's a severe clunk that you can feel in the seat right after shifting, or changing from no load to load. The car has only 1,750 miles.
Before I go and start pulling parts off, any ideas? I need the car for some testing ASAP. Anyone experience something like this on the newer cars? Are there common failures to look for?
Regards,
Sean

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Got the HP on the \'04 to normal, but something is about to let go ...

Sean,
I have had several differentials break the cross pin and had several break the spider gears. It definitely makes a clunk when it happens. It should be much worse on turns if the spiders broke. I have also had the flywheel bolts fall out on some 04 cars...no noise , but the clutch starts doing weird things like it has air in the system. That is the only big things that hit me right now.
Later,
Joe

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sean, my guess is one of the aluminum arms on the diff. that mount to the frame is cracked. After all it was in pretty bad wreck. Or it could be one of the mounts on the diff., the ones with the silver dollar size rubber mounts.

I'd also check the motor and trans. mounts. They are terribly weak items.

Something is shifting under load, as a result of the wreck.

None of what your describing is in the nature of the SRT, especially being able to repeat it.

Skip White

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i have heard of several people w/ loose or possibly cracked harmonic balancer, could this be a possibility.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery