GTS Bank Repo?

Reaction score
Has any of you had any dealings with any Viper bank repos that you have purchased? I'm looking at a 96 GTS with 19k on it now that was a bank repo and am kinda scared of it. But the price is WAY low! Car needs tires and thats it. Runs out strong and is bone stock. The bank repo just scares me for some reason, should it?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
just make sure it wasnt a FORCEFUL repo, meaning the grab the car and DRAG it out of the guys property....thay can ruin the frame, body panels, tires, wheels, etc...

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
just make sure it wasnt a FORCEFUL repo, meaning the grab the car and DRAG it out of the guys property....thay can ruin the frame, body panels, tires, wheels, etc...

The car is in GREAT shape for the money other than needing new tires. Title is clean too.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The actual act of the repo (to me at least) means very little. My Yukon was repoed on me so somewhere in SC someone is driving a truck I dumped $5000 into upgrades on.

Most dealers buy from repo sales anyway so you're not likly to be better off anywhere else. If the car looks good and there is no obvious signs of neglect go for it.

You could always see if they would allow a certified inspection (though I doubt it)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't be bothered about the repo history as long as the price is right.
Just make sure that the price is really right. Not too many folks sell things for a whole lot less than they are worth.
Why didn't you post the price?
Without that data point, this discussion doesn't make much sense.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main thing to be concerned about is the maintenance history. Often when someone doesn't have payment money they don't have insurance money or oil change money, filters, etc. Someone usually knows the car is getting repo'd and ulitimately treats the car accordingly. My father was a bank officer growing up, and he purchased almost all our cars through the repo yard. Good luck and be careful.

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what are they asking for it?

my experience with repo dealers: i was looking at a 2000 ACR (red with silver stripes), it was a bank repo, i talked with the guy for two weeks before deciding to head out there to see it in person, however 3 days before i was planning on leaving, the dealer called me back saying title problems.... sketchy...but he said he would have it resolved in a week

i called him back twice and he never got back to me, the price was really low, which would have been good, but also sketched me out.

what are you looking to spend? there are tons of non-repo GTS's are decent prices.

Ting

Has any of you had any dealings with any Viper bank repos that you have purchased? I'm looking at a 96 GTS with 19k on it now that was a bank repo and am kinda scared of it. But the price is WAY low! Car needs tires and thats it. Runs out strong and is bone stock. The bank repo just scares me for some reason, should it?

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So said Bonkers

The actual act of the repo (to me at least) means very little. My Yukon was repoed on me so somewhere in SC someone is driving a truck I dumped $5000 into upgrades on.

Do what? Sssoooooo...you dumped $5K of crap onto a Yukon, that you couldn't afford to make the payments on...hhhhmmmmm...Oh yeah, you're real bright! :rolleyes:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonkers is ok, I think. Bad driving record, repo history, boarder line ***** and all. That kind of thing can happen to anyone.... Well...Not me, but he probably has a good story.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonkers is ok, I think. Bad driving record, repo history, boarder line ***** and all. That kind of thing can happen to anyone.... Well...Not me, but he probably has a good story.

Stupid is what a stupid does.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
[quote
Do what? Sssoooooo...you dumped $5K of crap onto a Yukon, that you couldn't afford to make the payments on...hhhhmmmmm...Oh yeah, you're real bright! :rolleyes:

[/QUOTE]

Some might say he is ...... Bonkers.

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just kited a check on some shrubbery I couldn't afford. Do you think someday somewhere somebody else is going to be pruning my bush? That would really tear me up.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
I put a bid in on the car today and I'm 90% sure it's mine. He's going to hold it for me till I can look at it tomorrow afternoon by a tech. I got the car for way under 40k.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I met Bonkers at a VA/MD function recently. He's cool. Lay off him, already. At least he's not driving that GM junk anymore.

I buy repos at auctions, but rarely. What always amazes me is the feeding frenzy that occurs in the repo lanes (two of the twn lanes at the local dealer auction are repos). As a result, the prices are generally far higher than I'm willing to pay. Strange mentality. I think the buyers are figuring they can "steal" the vehicles at great prices, but they bid the hell out of each other and up goes the price.

The only "great" deals I see are vehicles being dragged through behind tow trucks that may have a minor wiring problem or some other minor issue but won't start. It's a gamble buying those, but sometimes I get VERY lucky. Like a 99 Taurus SHO, 20K miles, for 1200 bucks. It needed a tranny speed sensor, and that was it.

Buying a repo car is like buying anything else. Check it thoroughly. Frankly, Vipers seem to be some of the easier cars to check out and inspect because they are basically very simple cars.

Best regards to all, George

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think someday somewhere somebody else is going to be pruning my bush?

Do you travel out of town and have a girlfriend needing a trim somewhere???? Oops. Sorry we're talking shrubbery or Vipers or something. Let me get my mind out of the gutter.

I'd be leery of the car. See if a local VCA member can check it out for you or even get it to a Dodge dealership for a Viper mechanic to inspect.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bonkers, you're in bad shape! Democrat, repoed Yukons, etc. JK :)

none of those things bothered me nearly as much as the "93 del Sol Si" in the sig. that car is like #2 on the all-time "Chick Cars / ******* Cars" list.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>
none of those things bothered me nearly as much as the "93 del Sol Si" in the sig. that car is like #2 on the all-time "Chick Cars / ******* Cars" list.
>

...Number 1 being the Miata. Oh, wait...that's the "gender-confused" male car.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason
If someone was having their Viper repoe'd maybe they drove the crap out of it knowing that it was leaving.
Make sure that you have a tech look it over first. Cleaning it up to sell is easy.
Rohn

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top chick/hairdresser mobile would be a white, VW Cabriolet convertable. I don't know if I can spell it but I know it's got to be #1.

Bonkers is ok. I met him at MIR and have conversed by email on various topics. Of course this statement would only carry weight if some of you think I'm ok.

Getting a deal on a car at a public repo auction depends on you being able to buy the car for a price that you think is good AND is more than all the professionals that are also bidding.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
Jason
If someone was having their Viper repoe'd maybe they drove the crap out of it knowing that it was leaving.
Make sure that you have a tech look it over first. Cleaning it up to sell is easy.
Rohn

Tech went offer it yesteday. Bought it, sold within hours thanks to Nathan Rose!!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tech went offer it yesteday. Bought it, sold within hours thanks to Nathan Rose!!

Okay, you lost me here. Did you get the car?? Did somebody else steal it from underneath you? TELL ME YOU GOT THIS CAR!!

Chris

PS. I heard the price and it was the deal of the century on an undamaged, clean title GTS. I was going to buy it if Jason didn't!

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why is the price such a secret? Way below $40K? Does that mean $10K? How much is "way below" $40K? And I'm lost also, did you buy this car and then immediately resell it?

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is the price such a secret? Way below $40K? Does that mean $10K? How much is "way below" $40K? And I'm lost also, did you buy this car and then immediately resell it?

I guess it was a secret because Jason was buying it to re-sell to someone else.... and if he revealed his purchase price before selling... he would reveal his "hand" to any potential buyers here on the boards.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess it was a secret because Jason was buying it to re-sell to someone else.... and if he revealed his purchase price before selling... he would reveal his "hand" to any potential buyers here on the boards.

I can't imagine he would buy it to resell it, although it was probably good for an easy $8-10K "flip" if he wanted. I know he has been looking for a Viper for a loooooooong time for himself and figured this was THE ONE. Hope he got it!

Chris

OP
OP
J
Reaction score

I can't imagine he would buy it to resell it, although it was probably good for an easy $8-10K "flip" if he wanted. I know he has been looking for a Viper for a loooooooong time for himself and figured this was THE ONE. Hope he got it!

Chris

I did buy it. It is being billed out as we speak. I made right at 10k profit on my end. I was buying the car for myself but had A LOT of offers to make some good profit so I got greedy I guess. Nathan Rose helped me though the whole ordeal so a BIG thanks goes to Nathan!! I bought the car for LOW 30's but it needed tires as I said but I did not have to put new ones on it for the new owner agreed to have some put on it. So now I have 10K more in the Viper fund Chris. Trying to have one paid for when I do buy another. I hate payments. Theres a 97' Red GTS with 23k on it, new tires and all the owner is bringing to the V-10 Nationals tomorrow for Prashant and I to look at. I'll keep you posted. Maybe a few more deals like the one above and I'll have a nice GEN 2 paid for!! :D

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Geez Louise! Low 30's? Good job. The last two 96 GTS's on ebay with 25k and 40K mi both did NOT meet their reserves when the auctions ended at about $40K. Nothing finer than finding money and when you find a jewel like you did for $10K below retail, its a gift. Congratulations!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang