GTS Replacement Speakers

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just upgraded my head unit to a Kenwood KDC-X994 with Bluetooth and added a HD Receiver. I want to upgrade my door speakers and finally pulled the trigger on a set of Kicker QS60.2 for 275.00. Now the place called me (techtronics.com) and tells me the last set of QS60.2's are damaged so they want to send me RS652 for the same price. From what I understand these aren't as good as the QS's and I don't know if they will even fit.

Can you guys give me some input on this and or recommend other speakers. I'm not sure all 6.5" speakers will fit.
I see they have the soundstream for like $150, and also the Hertz hsk165 but they are $368 and I'm not sure I could appreciate the difference with headers.

Thanks

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the Alpine SPX-17REF 6 1/2" component's up front. They look great, have a pivoting/adjustable tweeter mount, and sound fantasic! :2tu: Huge improvement over stock in every way! :D Priced a bit more than what your looking at, but that's why you usally get what you pay for.:smirk:

You must be registered for see images attach

-Greg

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

paxtu22

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a set of the Alpine SPX-17REF's and they are unreal. I used a PDX-5 amp and a set of 6.5 JL subs. The installer used 4 channels for the front and ran the rear's in mono System sounds incredible. Would highly recomend the Alpine gear and the JL subs.

Eric

paxtu22

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

By paxtu22 at 2010-11-17
Stock vs JL on the right
You must be registered for see images

By paxtu22 at 2010-11-17
All the gear that went in car

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it worth just replacing the speakers with the stock head unit?

I am kinda hesitant to put any money into the Viper stereo since I never listen to it and even when it is on all I can hear is the Corsa's which sound better than any stereo IMHO.

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that is a sweet setup.

The PRO series uses a black cross-rib hybird glass fiber cone, larger tweeters, and upgraded crossovers. I have the REF series that uses cross-rib aluminum cone mids. I also have them bi-ampped off a Alpine PDX-4.100 amp.:) and a Alpine PDX-1.1000 to an 8" sub in a custom ported box. :D

-Greg

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it worth just replacing the speakers with the stock head unit?

I am kinda hesitant to put any money into the Viper stereo since I never listen to it and even when it is on all I can hear is the Corsa's which sound better than any stereo IMHO.

Yes. Just replacing the stockers with a set of drop in Kicker KS600s in the doors will improve your sound dramatically.:2tu:

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The PRO series uses a black cross-rib hybird glass fiber cone, larger tweeters, and upgraded crossovers. I have the REF series that uses cross-rib aluminum cone mids. I also have them bi-ampped off a Alpine PDX-4.100 amp.:) and a Alpine PDX-1.1000 to an 8" sub in a custom ported box. :D

-Greg

Greg, I've heard your system on sever occasions and it sounds sick!!! Fantastic sound and loud as hell.

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:1up:
Yes. Just replacing the stockers with a set of drop in Kicker KS600s in the doors will improve your sound dramatically.:2tu:

Yes, to what Red Snake said ! :1up: The factory speakers are junk :rant:, just cheap paper cones that break down after a "short" time :irked: and never sounded good when they were brand new :flush:

-Greg

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it worth getting anything better than the Kickers? How hard is it to install, assuming I just need to pop off the door panel and bolt them in. I would guess the door panels come off pretty easy on these cars.

Do the stock grills fit on these?

Last edited:

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Gen II Vipers are difficult when it comes to the door speakers. IMHO 5.25in speakers are definitely too small, but at the same time, not all 6.5in speakers will fit properly and clear the lower part of the dash when the door is closed.

I have JL Audio ZR650ci components. They are premium speakers, but take some effort to mount and get the grill in and clear the lower part of the dash on the passenger side. I went with the JLs because I'm partial to them and didn't care about the difficulty of the install. However, if I were to go with a different brand, I'd definitely go with the Alpine's Greg has. His install looks about as clean as it gets, and they are good quality. I really like the flush mount of the 6.5in speakers. Nicely done.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kicker KS600, Ebay. You be able to score a new set for about $50. They will bolt right in with no mods.

Is it worth getting anything better than the Kickers? How hard is it to install, assuming I just need to pop off the door panel and bolt them in. I would guess the door panels come off pretty easy on these cars.

Do the stock grills fit on these?

As I said, $50 and they bolt right in. No door panel removal, perfect size, unscrew/unplug old speakers and plug in/screw in new ones.

3_21_09_055.JPG

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just ordered the Alpine SPX- Ref. At least I know they will fit.
Thanks

I did have to trim the "inside" opening of the door panel its self just a bit using a die grinder (the part that the speaker screws to). I also didn't use the mounting ring for the grill, I just "pushed" the mesh part of the grill into the opening over the speaker. It's the perfect size and the carpet helps hold it on (they havn't moved at all since installed). One tip: when grinding out the door panel cover the carpet with masking tape to prevent little metal pieces sticking in the carpet, Yes I learned the hard way. It took a long time to get that #@!* out!:crazy2:

As for the mounting of the tweeter, because I wanted them countersunk, I just had to take some sand paper to the plastic mounting cups, and sand the edges of the "rings" until they would push down into the door panel opening. Then made a metal strap to screw the tweeter to the factory mounted holes on the back side of the door panel. A note: one tweeter mount had to be sanded more than the other because of a slight difference in the panel openings:rolleyes: (this may be different from car to car).:dunno:

For the crossovers, I ran new speaker wire all the way to the back of the car and mounted them back there since I was hooking an amp to them. This makes it alot easier later for tuning down the road, plus don't have to worry about them getting wet or becomming loose rattling around if they were mounted inside the door or door panel.;)

- Greg

OP
OP
S

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Greg!

I did have to trim the "inside" opening of the door panel its self just a bit using a die grinder (the part that the speaker screws to). I also didn't use the mounting ring for the grill, I just "pushed" the mesh part of the grill into the opening over the speaker. It's the perfect size and the carpet helps hold it on (they havn't moved at all since installed). One tip: when grinding out the door panel cover the carpet with masking tape to prevent little metal pieces sticking in the carpet, Yes I learned the hard way. It took a long time to get that #@!* out!:crazy2:

As for the mounting of the tweeter, because I wanted them countersunk, I just had to take some sand paper to the plastic mounting cups, and sand the edges of the "rings" until they would push down into the door panel opening. Then made a metal strap to screw the tweeter to the factory mounted holes on the back side of the door panel. A note: one tweeter mount had to be sanded more than the other because of a slight difference in the panel openings:rolleyes: (this may be different from car to car).:dunno:

For the crossovers, I ran new speaker wire all the way to the back of the car and mounted them back there since I was hooking an amp to them. This makes it alot easier later for tuning down the road, plus don't have to worry about them getting wet or becomming loose rattling around if they were mounted inside the door or door panel.;)

- Greg