Gutting the rear muffler

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who has gutted their rear muffler in a GTS? How exactly did you do it? I would like to minimize the intrusions into the muffler. Not having to do any welding would be preferable.

Also, I remember seeing a post (with pictures) a several months ago where someone did a really nice job replacing the muffler's internals with a cross-over pipe. I searched for it, but I could not find it. Does someone have the link to that post?

Thanks in advance for your help!

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Supercharged Vipermad... I am wanting to preserve the stock appearance, and I have a spare muffler to experiment with. The post with the cross-over modification had a good write-up, so if you find it, I would greatly appreciate you providing the link. Thanks!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just put an H-Pipe if you want to preserve the stock appearence. They look identical from behind, unless you get underneath.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is your objective, sound or power? If it's power, forget it. The pipes inside are straight through full diameter perforated with glass fiber packing on the outside. Since both sides are perf'd the muffler acts as a crossover.

If you want sound, drll a hole, stick in a hooked coat hander and pull out the glass fibers. Thread a plug back in to re-seal.

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJohn... I am wanting it to look completely stock... not almost. Plus, I already have an extra rear exhaust section to experiment with.

Ron... I am just wanting to experiment with the sound. I am not trying to gain power. Does the coat hanger method seem to work pretty good? Would you just drill a hole for something like a 3/4" NPT plug? Is there a particular location you would recommend to drill the hole (I have never seen the inside of a muffler)?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why you want to look "completely stock" on something you don't even notice anyway. Does that mean you won't disable the skip shift, because that gets rid of the "stock" appearance?

Not to mention, if you gut the muffler, everyone will know that you aren't stock anyway...so what's the point??

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ron's holding back. He has some good pics of the thing opened up. :cool:

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ViperJohn... I am wanting it to look completely stock... not almost. Plus, I already have an extra rear exhaust section to experiment with.

Ron... I am just wanting to experiment with the sound. I am not trying to gain power. Does the coat hanger method seem to work pretty good? Would you just drill a hole for something like a 3/4" NPT plug? Is there a particular location you would recommend to drill the hole (I have never seen the inside of a muffler)?

You gut the muffler and it's gonna sound like you got a fart can attached that thing.
I can't imagine how ****** it'll sound. Very tinny sounding I'm sure. Put an X pipe in and forget about it.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You gut the muffler and it's gonna sound like you got a fart can attached that thing.
I can't imagine how ****** it'll sound. Very tinny sounding I'm sure. Put an X pipe in and forget about it.

And as soon as you start cutting or messing with the muffler it's gonna screw up the bearing. Muffler bearings are a bear to get reset correctly.

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The muffler is also double-walled. If you cut one up just to take out the fiberglass packing and replace the perforated pipes with smooth straight pipes or X-over, be sure to weld back the double-walled skins carefully. A buzzing sound like "muffler bearings" rattling around might occur. Then we'll have to call you "Rattle Snake" from now on!

:D

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All... I appreciate everyone's comments about what it may sound like, and what the point of looking stock is. One of the main reasons I am experimenting with the stock muffler is simply because I have an extra one to experiment with. I realize it may or may not sound good, but like I said, I just want to try a few different configurations with it.

Does anyone have any pictures of the muffler opened up?

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All... I appreciate everyone's comments about what it may sound like, and what the point of looking stock is. One of the main reasons I am experimenting with the stock muffler is simply because I have an extra one to experiment with. I realize it may or may not sound good, but like I said, I just want to try a few different configurations with it.

Does anyone have any pictures of the muffler opened up?

Did you used to go by the name "Snowman"?

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Catwood... No, I did not used to go by the name "Snowman". Why do you think I did?

Marv S... thanks for the tip. Those pictures were just what I was looking for! I did not realize you could search in the gallery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog