Had a bad night

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As the title says. A bad night. Im driving home last night at about 4am and my engine light comes on. Not the check engine light, but the picture of the engine. So 10 minutes later i get home and pull out front on my house and get ready to back in the garage, and scraaaaap. The damn curb jumped out in front of me. PISSED to say the least. I jump out and look, @*&*. So i finish putting it away, and stewed about the engine light and my rim with about 5 inches of light curb rash on it.
So now im looking to either fix my polishe rim some where or hunt one down. Does anyone know where i can get a good front rim?
As far as the engine light. Im not sweatin that to much. I got a code reader coming tomorrow. The rim is what has me bent right now.
Any leads on a rim would would be great.
Thanks.
:help:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheel can prob be repaired vs replaced. I see your in Canada, so I'd try to find a recommended wheel repair guy. You can actually DIY if you have the knowledge. A GA-VCA guy helped me repair one of my wheels that I curbed. Took us under an hour and didn't even have to break the tire off the wheel.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 spoke or 5 spoke wheels? The previous AL/TN Prez can fix your wheels. PM Chip.

If he can't, I have a couple of spares.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the title says. A bad night. Im driving home last night at about 4am and my engine light comes on. Not the check engine light, but the picture of the engine. So 10 minutes later i get home and pull out front on my house and get ready to back in the garage, and scraaaaap. The damn curb jumped out in front of me. PISSED to say the least. I jump out and look, @*&*. So i finish putting it away, and stewed about the engine light and my rim with about 5 inches of light curb rash on it.
So now im looking to either fix my polishe rim some where or hunt one down. Does anyone know where i can get a good front rim?
As far as the engine light. Im not sweatin that to much. I got a code reader coming tomorrow. The rim is what has me bent right now.
Any leads on a rim would would be great.
Thanks.
:help:

Aren't the "engine light" and the Check engine light the same thing??

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may be a Gen 1 thing, but on my car there are 2 separate engine lights. 1 is red and says "engine" and has an icon of an engine underneath it. The other light is yellow words that say "check engine" w/no icon. The "engine" light comes on when their is not enough oil pressure OR the coolant temp has gotten too hot.

My car:
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeebs said his wheels are clearcoated my 2000 were not, What years did dodge clearcoat the wheels?
If your wheels are clearcoated the sell a spray clearcoat remover or I have read you can use Easy-off oven cleaner,
I have used easy-off to remove oneshot sign paint.

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. And im gonna watch that video.The rims are polish, 5 spoke. On an 02gts. About the engine light thing, i haven't really looked, but i thought i read i had to didn't engine lights, like what V10SpeedLuvr said. The light that came on was/is the picture of the engine. My temp was normal, oil presure was normal. Im picking up my code scanner in the morning. I'll see what it says.
About the rim. Its light curb rash, but it bugs me. I might try and fix it myself. I got a quote from a good rim repair place, they said about $275. I showed them a pic. But i just told them it was an 18inch polished rim. I figured get a price first so i don't get dinged viper tax. I also talked to a good buddy of mine today, he works at a tool & die shop. He said the guy that does all their welding and polishing would be able to fit it up for sure. My buddies a car guy to and said he would trust him with his car. So that might be an option too. For the record, the rim does NOT need to be welded. Thats just his title.
BUT, im trying to talk the wife into letting me get some new wheels. My gts is an acr, but the guy i bought it off said he didn't order it with the acr wheels. He liked the polish 5 spoke better. Not sure if he told me the truth or not, but i would like to get the right rims for the car. Thats my forth option.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your news :(. Please let us know how you get on with the engine light problem :eater: For the record I have 5 spokes which are polished and laqured which were fitted to my gen2 2000 it seems some years were polished and others were not?

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya it's $275cdn. But after checkin out that video that was just posted, i think i might try it my self. I have all the tools and some good know how. Worse case i get it fixed after i try. Trying to fix it myself won't cost me nothing but my time.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheel can prob be repaired vs replaced. I see your in Canada, so I'd try to find a recommended wheel repair guy. You can actually DIY if you have the knowledge. A GA-VCA guy helped me repair one of my wheels that I curbed. Took us under an hour and didn't even have to break the tire off the wheel.

Chad. Send me the info u have for repairing the wheels! Thx

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way I fixed the wheel I removed the damaged part and re-polished the area, it is not like new but you would really have to look to see where it was damaged.
Most wheel repair place will fill in the scratches with aluminum welding then sand a reshape and polish so you can not tell it from new.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what a bad day. Hope everything works out. What was the check engine light deal about?

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. And im gonna watch that video.The rims are polish, 5 spoke. On an 02gts. About the engine light thing, i haven't really looked, but i thought i read i had to didn't engine lights, like what V10SpeedLuvr said. The light that came on was/is the picture of the engine. My temp was normal, oil presure was normal. Im picking up my code scanner in the morning. I'll see what it says.
About the rim. Its light curb rash, but it bugs me. I might try and fix it myself. I got a quote from a good rim repair place, they said about $275. I showed them a pic. But i just told them it was an 18inch polished rim. I figured get a price first so i don't get dinged viper tax. I also talked to a good buddy of mine today, he works at a tool & die shop. He said the guy that does all their welding and polishing would be able to fit it up for sure. My buddies a car guy to and said he would trust him with his car. So that might be an option too. For the record, the rim does NOT need to be welded. Thats just his title.
BUT, im trying to talk the wife into letting me get some new wheels. My gts is an acr, but the guy i bought it off said he didn't order it with the acr wheels. He liked the polish 5 spoke better. Not sure if he told me the truth or not, but i would like to get the right rims for the car. Thats my forth option.

According to the Viper Registry all the ACR's were shipped with BBS wheels. Either he had his dealer switch them out for him, or he sold them when they started to get hard to find.
ACR Coupe Exterior and Interior Color Production Information
Exterior
Interior
Wheels
Year
B
l
u
e
R
e
d
S
i
l
v
e
r
S
t
e
e
l

G
r
a
y
B
l
a
c
k
Y
e
l
l
o
w
S
a
p
p
h
i
r
e

B
l
u
e
G
r
a
p
h
i
t
e

M
e
t
a
l
l
i
c
B
l
a
c
k
C
o
g
n
a
c
BBS
'99
'00
'01
'02

OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks NHL2133, that just confirms what i thought. And i am a little anoid. But not sure if i should be. Finda feels like i was lied to. But maybe not, maybe he changed them at the dealer because he liked the polished better. What was he thinking. I would love to have the BBS's on their. I can see this is going to bug me a little. But anyway.
The check engine light. My code reader read cylinder 3&4 miss fired. :dunno: I didn't feel a miss. And i got on it a bit after i seen the light come on to see if i could hear or feel anything different. Seemed normal to me. But what do i know. So i cleared the code and i'll wait to see if it comes back on. If so, looks like a tune up is in store.
Has anyone else had this type of issue?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a problem with mine when I took the car to a Rolling road day, I did not notice but the light had come on and on lifting the Hood I found 1 of the plug wires had burnt out at the top of the spark plug! And another wire had fallen off, turning my car into a V8! as a quick repair I took the burnt out end of the plug wire, cut it back and re-crimped it, the other lead I pushed back on the plug and all was well again :) I attend a fair amount of car shows in the UK and normally have the Hood up so people can see the V10, all I could think of was someone maybe poked around the engine area when I was not looking and moved the wires slightly?

What I did think was funny though was that on my way to the rolling road I flew past a C5 Corvette on 8 cylinders :D

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That V10 engine heat can kill spark plug wires over time. I don't remember what the specific mileage recommendation that has been posted is; but, Chuck Tator recommended that I change mine out when I talked with him after I bought my car with 24,000 miles on it.

Also, I'd say don't worry over the wheels. It doesn't matter why the wheels aren't with the car if you bought it knowing they weren't there anyway. The wheels are good to have; but, I think that people's tastes in wheels have changed since there are so many aftermarket styles available now. The OEM BBS aren't as desirable anymore, IMHO. However, I do like them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well i cleared the code and have taken it for a ride and it has not came back on, yet. I hope it was a fluke. If not i will give it a full tune up.
About the rim. All fixed. I did it my self and saved my self $300. It actually turned out really good. Any normal person would never notice it. Maybe some one inspection the car to buy it, but thats about it. I used an air grinder with 4 different small grinding and polishing pads. Then when i got it all smoothed out, i polished the whole rim. Then did my back rim on the same side. Now i have to do the other side. Huge difference. I didn't think the rims looked that bad untill i polished them. Shines like crome now.
:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4