Harmonic Balancers

KEast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any reason to upgrade the factory crank blancer to something like a ATI balancer if the botom end is stock?

Thanks

MKB96Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Upgrade the balancer. I just had my second viper loose a balancer and damage the crank. Two in two years. First my 96 and now my 2000. Dodge will do absolutely nothing about it. Its a known problem and Dodge knows but does nothing. Its about a $7,000 - $8,000 fix so do the balancer asap. I can't believe Dodge will not accept responsibility for this problem. Anyone else feel my pain?

Keith

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain brother. Chuck Tator pins the balancer in 4 places and he tells me that he has never had a failure after installing 4 pins in it.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If the balancer bolt is properly torqued and a locking compound used, you will not have a problem. All the balancers I have seen come off, the bolt came loose. On SC engines the cast balancer can crack if you run higher than stock boost, its a good idea to replace it.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe Racing has a 2 pin kit that is so far doing the job for me after my damper fell off. I wonder if the Gen IV engine at NAIAS has a key or a pin from the factory?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Roe Racing has a 2 pin kit that is so far doing the job for me after my damper fell off. I wonder if the Gen IV engine at NAIAS has a key or a pin from the factory?

Doubtful... the new engine is still NA, and dodge learned their lesson with small bolts (2004). A properly torqued damper bolt should come loose, even without a key, so long as OEM accessory drag isnt far surpassed (blower)