Has anyone replaced their pedal set?

motomike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a Sparco pedal set for my car. Has anyone replaced their pedal set and know if the Sparco set will install without alot of hassle or grief?

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know about the Sparcos, but I bolted on a Razzo brake pedal that makes heel and toe a lot easier for me.

It's one of those cheezy 'carbon fibre' pedal covers with the bolt on clamps. You can get them at most auto parts stores.

Jim

Mark Young

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done two sets so far - the carbon fibre one Jim is talking about and now an aluminum set I bought through Apex. Here are the differences:

- the c/f set bolted on with clamps to the stock pedals
- the aluminum ones require you to drill through your stock
pedals
- both gas pedals have 'kick's on them to make heel-toe easier

I did not like the clamp-on c/f set at all. I even dremeled off the ends of the screws after I tightened everything up (they stick about 1" below the pedal). They also needed re-tightening and to be honest, I didn't really trust them. Not a good thing to be thinking about your pedals when you're heel-toe'ing at the end of the main straightaway.

The aluminum set is the trick in my opinion. The clutch/brake pedal are attatched by drilling through the stock pedal, putting a short bolt through and a nylon lock nut on the back side. 4 screws per pedal. They also happen to have 'GTS' machined into them, a nice touch (I think RT10 is also an option). The gas pedal is attatched by screwing it down to the plastic stock gas pedal in two places. The good thing here is that you can try it out for a while and re-adjust it by just screwing it down in a different place. I'm pretty happy with it now so I think I'll drill it and use two bolts with lock nuts the same as the other pedals. The peace of mind is worth it and the I like the kick on the gas pedal - works great.

My $.02.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a set of aluminum covers fom Snake Oyl. They look and feel great.

The accel pedal cover mounting system did interfeer with its operation. I tried two sided foam tape and silicon sealer but it just kept falling off. I finally secured it by drilling the pedal in four locations and screwing it on. Works great now!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought one of those cheap replacement pedal cover kits from a local auto store. They looked pretty cool. But, my first time out driving, the corner of my shoe kept catching the gas pedal when I hit the brakes. Not cool to lurch forward when you are meaning to apply the brakes. I guess they have the gas pedal jut out on one side for heal-toe driving, but sooner or later it was gonna cause an accident for me so I took them off real quick.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm concerned about my stock gas pedal.

The plastic pedal fell off of the metal arm. The clevis pin came out of the plastic pedal and the pedal fell off. (There is a spring that fell out too.)

It appears that the clevis pin is held in by some knurling that is pushed past the hold on the pedal so that the knurled diameter is "trapped" between the adjacent plastic pedal webs which have the hole. The point is that the knurl is not pressed into a hole, but is pressed until it is out of the hole.

This doesn't sound like a good design to me. In fact, it sounds like a poor one.

The clevis pin should have an e-clip on the inserted end so it is positively held in the pedal holes. Pressing the knurling thru the plastic hole damages the hole which then supports a smooth portion of the clevis pin.

A picture is obviously worth 1000 or these, words.

So, I'm a little concerned about bolting more stuff on the gas pedal.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gas pedal fell off on my 2001 ACR with the SAME PROBLEM. The knurl lost a tooth, and that it would not stay in. I looked at the design and found that it was very poor as well. Why no pin to hold it in?
The only way to fix it is to have the ENTIRE pedal assembly replaced. A few hour process by a dealer. Good thing I have over 6 years left on my warranty.

The only other way you might fix it is to use JB Weld or something and apply it to the bolt and in the hole of the arm, slip everything together, and let it harden.

Good Luck!

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the Performance pedals we offer for ONLY $55.76! Please note that we also have the same pedals with RT/10 logos.

You must be registered for see images

Call me with any questions 408.562.1000

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We tried a few different types of pedals on my 98 GTS and 01 ACR. We have decided to offer 2 options:

1) For ultimate performance w/ easier 'heel-toe', we offer an aluminum set of pedals with your choice of 'GTS' and 'RT/10'. These are the ones Mark Young purchased form us and refers to above. They require some drilling, but will not shift, move or fall off. We have these in stock NOW and priced at only $55.76 (SPECIAL VCA PRICE)!

2)For the accessory-minded owner, we also offer another set of polished or 'satin' look pedals from ZAF. They come w/ Viper logos and GTS or RT/10 and can be custom colored for your Viper.

Call me with any questions at 408.562.1000.
Glad we can help!
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)