HELP! My GTS hesitates and gets jerkiness on steady gas

finnsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there,

My 1996 GTS has developed a new problem or two new symptoms that might be caused by the same failure somewhere. The car has only 8000miles on it and it is 100% stock, no mods what so ever.

Problem 1) When I start the car it idles between 500rpm and 1500rpm. It doesn't matter if it's a cold engine or warmed up, it just does it. What might cause such a thing?

Problem 2) Accelerating the car is fine, but once I try to stay on steady gas around 1800-2500rpm the car start to jump like grazy, like on the dying moment when a car is running out of gas. If I accelerate it goes a way for a while, but come back once I try to cruise keeping the same speed.

So far I've changed new spark plugs and spark plug leads (original Dodge stuff, no aftermarket parts), air filter (have tried both new stock and K&N). Both oxygen sensors. So far nothing has helped one bit. Only thing they managed to do at the local Mopar service was that they re-programmed it and it worked like a charm for about 300yards... I'm running out of ideas with this one. Anyone want to take guesses what might cause these problems? :dunno:

Thanks in advance guys.

Jay

OP
OP
F

finnsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try cleaning the IAC.

Drive it more. Gas goes bad.

What the heck did the Mopar reprogramming consist of?

Plug-in and they propably checked the engine mapping. I wasn't there to witness it though... :dunno:

What is the best way to clean the IAC? :dunno:

Thanks for the answers...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Checking the engine mapping and reprogramming the PCM sounds like 2 different things. Did they maybe just clear or reset it and used fancy words like reprogramming so you'd be happy paying the bill?

Anyway, go to Autozone or your favorite big box store and get a can of throttle body cleaner. Remove wire harness and hose from IAC and remove screws to intake. Spray inside with cleaner till shiny. Re-install.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have that problem occaissionally. Mine is the rear 02 sensors. I want to get the 4 02 sensor program removed from my PCM. After a couple thousand miles the car craps out at WOT. Play with the rear 02 sims and it goes away.

Maybe its your Cats?

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That would explain it then! My Cats are removed and the rear sims are a PITA. Actually it's the gov. required programming that seems to be my problem. I figured that plugged Cats would probably cause the same situation.

Ted