Hi flow cat question

RikRok

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Will hi flow cats really reduce side sill temps? I have a white car and the sill are turning a little toasted looking, and the the had been repainted once by the previous owner. I was planning on going with no cats and a B&B cat back system, but am worried about it being a little too loud. If I were married I may welcome it, but dates still expect you to try and carry on a conversation :)

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi flows reduce temps, but it's still hot. I prefer no cats (I've tried both ways, and went back to no cats). It's really not that loud. If you want it to be "quiet", just upshift and ease up on the throttle.

Brad Manhattan Beach

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Iput in Random Tech metal substrate cats and it did reduce my sill temps pretty dramaitcally. At least I can touch them and wear shorts without burning myself...

Interior temperatures also went down.

Brad

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say on a scale of 1-10, stock cats produce 10 heat, hiflows 6 heat, and no cats 0 heat.

I've driven pretty hard with hiflow cats, and it is still pretty hot to the touch. With no cats, the sills always feel as cool as the other body panels.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the high flow Random Tech cats from Parts Rack. They significantly cooled my side sills and I never burn myself at all. I have been very happy with them.

ViperLB

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Dyno chart of before and after installing high flow cats? I'm going to purchase a set and I am curious if i'll feel much of a power gain.
Thanks.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say on a scale of 1-10, stock cats produce 10 heat, hiflows 6 heat, and no cats 0 heat.

I've driven pretty hard with hiflow cats, and it is still pretty hot to the touch. With no cats, the sills always feel as cool as the other body panels.

but how load is it with no cats??

any smell?

what kinda hp will you pick up going from hi flow cats to no cats?

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for High Flow Cats also would be very intersted to see dyno figures with and without HF cats.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't imagine restricting the exhaust would yield any measurable performance gain. Stock, high flow, super high flow, they all restrict to some degree.

I've read where people actually lost 5 hp. I think they were talking peak power at an instantaneous point along the HP curve, which itself is a function of the torque curve. I'm not sure that tells us what we need to know. Seems to me 5 hp is within the range of "inacurracy" for measurement (2%) and I'd be more interested in what the torque curve looked like. I'm guessing there would be more area under the curve throughout the rpm band, coming up faster.

I'd like to see some curves too.

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As everyone stated, hi-flow cats are tremendously cooler compared stock cats. They still get darn warm at a track event, but not enough to burn, IMHO. Call Jon B at www.partsrack.com he has adapters if you need those as well.
As far as conversations go, keep in mind, when you are married, you are expected to talk, and express yourself, and listen to her ramble on and on about...
Dates and girlfriends, on the other hand, well, I'm too far removed to comment.

ggc

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I bought my GTS it had no cats. Sounded great, ran great and it had no gasoline smell, although some have reported that and had to install O2 simulators to correct the problem. I installed Random ceramic high flows and it still sounds good, but not quite as loud as with no cats. I have headers so it will be a little louder anyway.

Either way sills run relatively cool. Iam sure if you track the car no cats will run cooler than high flow. If you have to pass an environmental inspection you may have to go to high flows like I did. The HP gain if any seems to be in the range of 5hp or less, which to me is not a factor.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided I am going with the B+B cat back and hi flows.Just hope theres no way I can be slowing my car down (nock nock nock) its running so well now Thanks for every ones advice

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

but how load is it with no cats??

any smell?

what kinda hp will you pick up going from hi flow cats to no cats?

How loud? Hard to describe... definitely louder than with stock or hiflow cats. It's probably best to hear it in person in order to make a decision for yourself. I only smell exhaust when I'm stopped at a light (and even then, I don't think it's that bad). Horsepower is probably not a factor at stock levels. 5-10 hp at most. With more mods, I'm sure that number is more.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NO cats are not loud until you're into it.Light pedal application and its almost stock sounding.Open it up and it sounds like Lemans.When your right foot is planted its better to concentrate on driving rather than conversing anyway.Oh and temp.Warm to the touch without cats.You can lay your hand on the side sills.Interior cooler too. GTS Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo