HID's

italian1nj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HID\'s

Hey, does anyone know where I can get HID's for my '93 RT/10? I have run into a problem obtaining them. Apparently there have been people in this wonderful litigious society of ours that have caused problems. Now noone wants the liability of insatall aftermarket lights. So I would appreciate any help you guys could offer. Thanks, Vince :crazy:

OP
OP
I

italian1nj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: HID\'s

Thanks but Sean is who my guy was trying to get them from. He has been hit with a cease and desist order to stop selling them. :(

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Roe does not carry them anymore.

Do a search on Catz hid on the internet. Easy to install kit. I have a contact where I bought mine from at home and can post on Wednesday when I get home if you would like.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why can 't Sean sell them any more????

I bought them last year, Sean had them on sale for Christmas.....it was a very good price. They work great..... why have a car that is very fast and not see far enough down the road...... it becomes a safety issue!

Cudaman :usa:

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I posted something about this at the other site a week or more ago. (A l l e y)

There is a link to some board with info and even more links to why this is all happening.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jerome Sparich.... please post that link..... I looked but could not find post.

Thanks,

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thankyou... Jerome Sparich. It looks like most of the complaints come from trucks and SUVs. It ruins it for us low cars. I do not get complaints from on coming cars (flashing of their high bleams)with my HID lights.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The main problem, is as I understand it, from the HID's is not being designed for the lens that come on the car. The halogen lens throws too much light where it should not be. Cars with HID's from the factory have a different housing and lens then the cars with halogen type bulbs do.

Halogen and HID lenses are very different in their flute design.

OP
OP
I

italian1nj

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I guess this is just me being a little too slow on the draw. I thought about these for too long and now they are not available. Anthony, WCV is where my car is right now and John is having no luck as of yet locating the kits. Jerome thanks for the links good info. I am not about to give up on this thaough, it has become a crusade. I WILL HAVE LIGHT!! ;)

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Try here. Scrool down to see them. Call and see if they still sell them.

Good guys to deal with even though they cater to the rice crowd. But I would never hold that against them. The service was top notch when I did order from them once.

Oh yeh, you are welcome. :D

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why don't they outlaw those stupid red neck trucks that are sky high? The bumpers should be 16 inches from the pavement and those stupid trucks have their bumper at my roof level, something is wrong in society. Those are more dangerous than my lights.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You got it Vince. If you need any more places to look I have one or two more, that is if they don't pan out.

Good luck.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What is west coast vipers web address? I did a search & could not find??

Thanks
Andy

need4spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score

btw, my bumpers are about 40" from the ground. i do get harassed every now and then, but it's as fun to drive as my viper! kyle :)

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

need4spd....see, that is worse than a car having brighter lights. There is a law that has existed and is still effective that states that the national height of the bumpers should be 16" or 18" off the floor, not 40". This is to ensure the safety of ALL the motorists. I don't have a problem with you, just the cops that enforce *** laws, but not ones that are supposed to actually help.

The first line of defense is not effective. I see cars on the road that should not even be towed to a junk yard since they are that bad and not "road worthy". Trailers with lights out that you don't know if they are stopping or not, stuff not secured to the back of the trrucks and flap around in the wind, tubes that fly off the top of truck when they stop, that is the stuff that cops should be looking out for instead of some lights that may be a bit too bright to the elderly.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's actually less light hitting the eyes of oncoming traffic in a car with correctly designed HIDs. The newer cars (mostly German and Lexus) have level sensors in the back of the car. Load the trunk and they aim themselves down. On accel or decel, you can actually see them re-aim. The older light didn't have this. My new cars both have HIDs. The SRT has them with no automatic adjustment, but there seems to be no need as the suspension always stays flat. My 325 coupe has up / down aiming and swivels in corners! It's cool to be on the highway and give the steering wheel a small tug and watch the headlights swing in response. Technology and mass production will fix the offenders soon enough.

OP
OP
I

italian1nj

Viper Owner
Reaction score

One of the things I love about this sight is the wealth of knowledge that we get to share. This light issue has definitely been a learning experience. I have been told that one of the main issues with the after market HID's is the headlight lens. When they are factory installed the lens have a focus point for the HID light however with after market you don't have this focus point. As a result the HID's look good but are actually less effective lights. I need to confirm this and then look into the cost of changing out the lens as well. TTYL, Vince

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Focal point is a big issue, but most aftermarket companies don't care, but Sean's were perfect. If you held the OEM bulb and Sean's HID bulb right next to each other, you would see that were the arching occurs on the HID bulb, corresponds to the point where the filaments are. So in conclusion, they were accurate when some other cheaper sets were not. I have a well defined pattern on my set of Roe lights that look identical to the ones on my 01 Merc S500.

The real problem is those idiot ricers with the purple lightbulbs at like 10000K, which mean nothing, only color. Why don't they ban those ******** "snake eye windshield wiper washers" instead of something that can actually help you when driving. I noticed that I can see better at night with the HID than with OEM ones....and i have yet to be "flashed" because they are too high.

I do love the new BMW HID system where the lights turn into the corner, that is awesome.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll be in Europe (munich ge) for about 6 months. Do anyone of the European co's offer HID retrofit kits? e.g. phillips, narva, hella?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm clueless about the Euro retrofit kits....and jealous! Munich is an awesome city to live/work in. I'll ask a few of my Munchner friends here at the plant about your question. Near one of the GE buildings, there's a little restaurant called Rusticana (3 stops to the west of the Ostbahnhof) Best ribs in the world! Trust me, you have to try it. Reserviert is a must.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32