How can you leave your Viper parked without worrying all the time?

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do have four other cars. If the Viper was my only ride, I would have to take it everywhere. I don't only keep it in the garage. I enjoy its use. Plus, there are four months per year here that is not fit for man or beast.
The first day I had it I drove 960 miles home, rather than shipping it.
Donzi, we are related. I'll be down in February so get my room ready.
Main thing is, though, do what makes you happy. However, if I ever buy a used Viper, I want one that has been owned by a guy JUST LIKE ME! (I slide mirrors under the sills in order to check for dust.)

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By no means is the viper a car that should be drivin ALL of the time. Driving in the rain or snow not only makes the car nasty looking, it is not enjoyable. So what is the point? I just think people should get over the FEAR of something happening to it even when conditions are good. Some people are so scared stiff they refuse to let the car leave the safety of their home.

Heck, I know a guy who is like that with his boat! 10 years old and it still smells new. Looks pretty boring sitting in his garage all of the time. I think he's afraid to get it wet.

Donzi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GraphiteGTS,
we are in St.Petersburg FL. If you are going to come down, we would love to meet you and do dinner.
I have an Excursion and Wifey drives a C-5 convertable so our GTS is a toy, not a driver. I have two brothers that live in cincinnati.

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(I slide mirrors under the sills in order to check for dust.)
Obsess much?
;)
J/K, I understand the concern about those painted stripes, matching metallics can be a PITA. That insurance thing bites too.
:(
You should just move here, and not worry about the 4 months of not driving the Viper! Then you can concentrate on the slow old folks, the soccer moms on the phone, and the crazy cab drivers!
:eek:

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Donzi,
Two brothers in 'Nati? You better get up here and visit them. Bring your car. They like Vipers or are you the black sheep in the family?
Sam, you are my hero, man. Single in Vegas, with a Viper! I'd never fit in like you do. You are indeed da' man.
Graph

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell Rick, you guys would have a blast here. Your kids would dig the lake and the mountains. Just gotta get used to the 110 heat in August, tho.
:)
We need more cool Viper owners here w/ a sense of humor. :cool: Me, MoparMan, Trent, and Ohiodoc need more cruisin' buddies. Hardly anyone here drives their car to the monthly meeting, fer cryin out loud!

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Firecat, That wasn't me on the Embarcadero last week.

Hey DChan415, I was in the Marina, but moved to Hillsborough!
But I do drive the car to the City all the time. I just never leave it unattended. Especially in Chinatown! How many door dings and bumps and scrapes do you have on your doors and bumpers? I'm Chinese and I know how it is ;) Those old ladies , on the streets with their shopping carts and purses brushing and scraping your paint.

GTS1998, I'm in Hillsborough too. Ever see my car? I haven't seen any other GTS there.

TACDOC, I track my car all the time. And I still care what my car looks like. I hate it if I get paint chips. Fortunately I haven't had anything significant happen on the track.

Hey elanderholm, I drive my car very hard at the track and go to the track every chance I get, AND still complain about paint chips. I want the best of all worlds!

Frank Barefield

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do try to be careful where I park my car, and look for spots where it would be hard for someone to get too close. Of bigger concern is the door locking fob. Most of the places where I leave the car I have a very hard time locking the doors. Sometimes I can move the car one space and the doors will lock. Other times I can get the car to lock, but can't get the fob to unlock the doors. I have tried getting a new fob battery, but this doesn't help. I probably would feel more comfortable leaving the car if I could just lock it most of the time. Had the same problem with my 1996 GTS. :p

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Firecat. In my hometown, there are a lot of people who are jealous of nice cars. If I take it to a restaurant, I try to park where I can see it. My wife used to say "It's just a car." and roll her eyes. But I tell her if it was just a car...every yahoo in town would have one. When I bought her a Mercedes..she started parking it away from all other cars...then admitted that she now understands how I feel. I would never take it to Walmart! :eek:

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to take the Viper to local Wed and Sunday cruises. I don't even do that anymore.

One Wed cruise a girl with huge belt buckle was like 1/4 inch away from leaning on my paint with it when I stopped her.

Last summer at the Sunday cruise a couple old f*rts were next to my car pumping up the tire on the one guy's model T and I watched them casually leaning on the Viper off and on as they waited for the 12V compressor to do its' thing.
Then one of them got a little vocal when I asked very nicely if they could avoid leaning on the car...

It's easier to drive the station wagon and enjoy a walking around a cruise instead of fending off kamakazie attacks. I don't need the adoration of the public towards the Viper that much.

We just got back from grocery shopping with the Viper, and we take if often; park it out where we can see it.

We'll use the car more this summer when we're not on the Harley, but it'll be to select locations where parking is ample. If cruises are no guarantee for respect for a nice car, why should I expect to get it anywhere else?

The Viper's a fair investment for me, and if I get a rock chip-that's life. But I'm still going to keep an eye on it.. :)

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I go out in my Viper, I try to park away from the crowd, but still in a clearly visible area. It's also important to park "up stream" of run away shopping carts. At car shows, I rarely leave the car unattended because experience has taught me that the world is full of jealous, low life, ****** fuking, a$$ holes, who would love to destroy your prized possessions because THEY don't have what YOU have. A bullet through the head is what they deserve. :usa:

GTS1998

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SF Final 286,

I have seen a red GTS on Black Mountain Rd., near Wedgewood a few times. I live near Skyline and Skyfarm, but I roam through town all the time. There are a few SRT-10's in town as well. I will waive if I see you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte