How is it decided on who gets the first 2003s?

blkasp1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know how dodge is deciding who gets the first SRTs? A recent post stated that there are numerous factors? Does anyone actually know what these "mysterious" factors are? I have spoken to numerous people and have not been able to get a straight answer. I remember when i first recieved my certificate, we had until the end of febuary to order the car and it DID NOT matter if you did it towards the beginning or the end. I even called viper headquarters to confirm this and was told that it made no difference when you ordered the car as long as you did so by the cut off date. The last I was told was that the orders were submitted to dodge in the order that they were faxed in. I am now concerned that since i did not order right away, i will get one of the later cars as the early orders will be built first. It has also been posted that some people have already been assigned VIN #s. Isnt it only logical that those cars are the ones that will be built first? Could we please have a update on what actual process is being used to determime who gets the first batch of cars???

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to be first (now that I know I probably won't). The first fellers will get the smellers --- the first ones built will probably have all the recalls, leaky engines, warped and poorly fitted panels, etc. Yeh, I think it was pretty low-down to tell us it didn't matter who got in first. BUT, they didn't have to do ANY favors for us, so ---.

(I keep telling myself that the post office did me a favor routing my cert. by way of Moscow.)

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 2 ordered.....the first(red)certificate was applied for the first morning on line within minutes after the lines opened...that car is in D1 status, build date scheduled for Aug 21....the other certificate(black) was nearly 40 minutes later and all I have is a VON# at this point in time...I understand there is somewhat of a chronological order to the VON#, but there are likely to be small exceptions to the rule...

OP
OP
B

blkasp1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Dodge is building the cars in the order that they were faxed in, dont you think it is unfair to everyone that weas specifically told by viper headquarters that it would not make a difference in relation to when the car was ordered???

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
blkasp,

Did they actually say that? It may have been mentioned on this board but I don't know that they ever officially said that. I hemmed and hawed for a while over what color I wanted and where I wanted to order from, so I think I sent it after like 2 weeks.

Remember, there were several "deadlines". There was the # we called to GET a cert... then there was the time it took to send it to the dealer.... then there was the time we took to 'confirm' our orders with Dodge. So which line will be the one used to determine build order? I have no idea.

OP
OP
B

blkasp1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

Yes, it is a FACT that it was stated that it did not make a difference when you ordered the car as long as you did so by the cutoff date. I called Viper Headquarters as soon as my my certificate arrived and was clearly told myself. I am not talking about hearsay/rumors that sometimes come about on the message board.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way I heard it will go down is the following:

100 Red, 100 Black, 100 Silver. After that they will reduce to around 30-50 of each color in the same order as they began. I thought I heard the build/delivery order will be chosen at random other than a small number out of each color that will be built for VIPs'.

I think I heard they hope to have around 200 built by the end of September. Then it gets back to the typical delivery requirements of 5 or 6 cars ready to ship to a particular region or city. Once they have at least 5/6 cars ready in one area they are loaded and shipped. Some cars may be built and ready to ship but don't go out because there is not a full truck ready for the area they are being shipped to.

OP
OP
B

blkasp1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 questions...

1-what are the qualifications for being a "VIP"?

2- when you say random, Does that mean it will not make a difference as to when you ordered the car? Random sounds pretty vague.

3- Are the cars that have VIN #S assigned already going to be built first?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blkasp1:
3 questions...

1-what are the qualifications for being a "VIP"?

2- when you say random, Does that mean it will not make a difference as to when you ordered the car? Random sounds pretty vague.

3- Are the cars that have VIN #S assigned already going to be built first?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) It is certainly nobody on this forum. I know some cars are being built for "internal folks" first - I would imagine that if a higher-up at DC (like what Lutz was when he was there) wants one, they get it before you or I do

2) I have never heard that the order the certs were sent in were not a factor. To be honest, I have heard the opposite, that the order they came in is the order they will be delivered. I guess, if that is the case, there is nothing you or I or anyone else can do about it, other than accept it. If it is true that it will be random, then I don't think there is any vagueness in the word random - it would mean they pick a completely arbitrary person that the car will go to. One thing I DO know is that whatever is being done is not negotiable or changeable - DC is scrambling to meet deadlines as it is and there is no room to accomodate special requests, as far as I know.

3) YES. I know this for a fact. If you have a VIN, you are already moving down the assembly line. If you do not, it only means you are not already moving - you could start tomorrow for all I know. As I understand D status = scheduling parts, D1 = build schedule decided (i.e. VIN assigned, production date chosen). In other words, those who have VIN's at this point will be getting cars sooner than those who do not.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
#1 - That's up to DC

#2 - I was told that it didn't matter when your cert was turned in other than if they went over the limit they could build in a year.

#3 - Just because the car may be built or on it's way down the line it could still sit in the storage area until they have enough cars built that will be going to the same area to fill a truck.

What I have posted is not official word - just what I have heard from people I have asked that know more than I do.

Lyn Turpin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered my new red 2003 Viper on the second day that orders
were able to be taken. I was with the dealer when he faxed
the order in. I have received a confirmation via e-mail back
in May and now a letter of confirmation last week.

However, when I check with the dealer, I do not have a VIN
assigned so I am still not in line to be built. I don't
really want one of the first 100 or so but I don't want
to wait until spring either.

Just FYI, I am a CPA and I want to clear up some of the
misconceptions on the luxury tax. I would rather not pay
it but it is not a huge amount of money and I would not
want my car to hold up three or four months for the savings.
The tax will go away on January 1, 2003 (provided Congress
doesn't change their mind). But, even if you have to
pay it on the car you get in 2002, it will only be around
$1200. It is only on the amount OVER $40,000. So, an
$80,000 Viper gets taxed at 3% of the amount over $40,000,
or $1200.

OP
OP
B

blkasp1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

The reason i am so upset is the fact that I was told by viper headquarters that it WOULD NOT make a difference when you ordered the car. It seems very unfair to change that after the ordering process is done. If they would have told me, hey we really are not sure how its going to be done, I would have made sure to get my order in ASAP. Secondly, Does anyone know how many VIP cars are going to be built? Are you thinking just a few for the high ups at DC?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blkasp1:
Mike,

The reason i am so upset is the fact that I was told by viper headquarters that it WOULD NOT make a difference when you ordered the car. It seems very unfair to change that after the ordering process is done. If they would have told me, hey we really are not sure how its going to be done, I would have made sure to get my order in ASAP. Secondly, Does anyone know how many VIP cars are going to be built? Are you thinking just a few for the high ups at DC?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

blkasp1,

I understand your frustration completely! It's impossible to give everyone what they want. If there was a way to get an earlier car, everyone would be doing it. If getting your cert in earlier was important to getting an early car, I am convinced they did not know that at the time - so I don't think you were lied to. People who live closer to MI got certs earlier than I did, so again there is no way to make it completely fair ever - there is always going to be a bit of bias in there. I don't even know that this method is even how it is proceeding - it's just that I talked to a few different people who I think know what they're talking about and I was told the order of certs would be the order of build, but that may be totally wrong for all I know.

As for the # of VIP cars - I think around 20-30. Remember that some cars need to be crash tested, some will go to the auto mags and/or enter the DC fleet as company owned cars, and some may go to executives at DC. I don't know if it's 20-30 per color, or combined, or even if maybe that figure is not accurate.

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do know that we were told (at the time the orders were actually being placed) that the timing of the order arrival would not matter, and my current understanding is that the cars are indeed being built within the color batches at least, in an order related to the timing of the order arrival.
Oh well, - If we had been told that the timing was going to matter, it would have been a madhouse with virtually everyone faxing the orders all at once & the lines would have been jammed & the actual order would not have been evident anyway. So perhaps it just doesn't matter.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SRTRICK:
If we had been told that the timing was going to matter, it would have been a madhouse with virtually everyone faxing the orders all at once & the lines would have been jammed & the actual order would not have been evident anyway. So perhaps it just doesn't matter.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT size="5">EXACTLY!!!</FONT s> IMO there is NO WAY to set up a FAIR system whereby a build order will be determined. PVO/DC is already overwhelmed with things to do to get the SRT out there - the last thing they have time for is comingup with a system to let us get cars when we want. With 1,500 of us all scrambling to get the first 100 cars, it's inevitable that alot of us would end up in the 2nd 1/2 of production anyways, so it doesn't really matter all that much. Remember, this is going to be a short build year... cars won't show up until early November or so and they will be finishing up in May/June, so the LONGEST you could have to wait would be 6-7 months -it's not like it will be a year behind or anything!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the simple explanation:

You will get your SRT/10 BEFORE the public gets one. That was what was promised, and that is what is going to happen. The rest is up to Dodge to determine. Build, Vin, shipping are all the other things that go into the equation. Can't we be happy that we get our cars prior to the genera public?

OP
OP
B

blkasp1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I am reading the posts wrong? Was there a method used to determine build order? It seems from the posts here, the only answer is "it is up to dodge". All I am looking for is a legitimate answer on how the allocation was handled. I understand dodge did viper owners a favor by setting the whole program up but it still does not answer my initial question.!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
blkasp,

I think you are looking for an official answer from Dodge on what they did to determine build order (or rather, who gets assigned what VIN).

The offical answer is - they are randomly assigned.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes there was a method that Dodge used. I do not believe that at any time they had mentioned that the method they were going to use would be disclosed? Like the post above said, being that Dodge made the offer, they are using there own internal method.

Here is an analogy you may understand? You get invited to a fundraiser or party (prior to a big concert lets say for conversation). Once you arrive, your seat placement will be determined by the host (which would be the person who made the invitation). Now if you do not like your seat assignment, then you have the option not to attend, and thus can wait in line like the rest of the general public.

All Dodge owes us is the car, and any order they choose is better than having to get in line for a 2004!

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
blkasp,

You're putting way too much energy into this.

Honestly, if DC had said "those who return their certificates earliest get earlier cars" - and then you ran down to the office trying to fax it in but the line was busy until afternoon, you would say "ITS NOT FAIR I DIDNT HAVE A CHANCE TO GET MINE IN".

If they sent an email and said "the order you will get your car will be the order you respond to this email" you would say "ITS NOT FAIR I DIDNT GET THE EMAIL IN TIME THATS NOT FAIR".

What WOULD be fair? Let me guess - a scenario where YOU get your car first, right? And do you think that would be fair to ANYONE else? NO!

THERE IS NO TOTALLY "FAIR" WAY TO DO IT!

They are NOT playing favorites. Why do you insist on beating them up over this? It's SIMPLE. When you get your car is related to several factors such as where you live, what color you ordered, who your dealer is, and other RANDOM factors. If you ordered black and they make red first, you just got bumped down the line.

You are looking for something that is not there. There was no secret code that you were not made aware of, there is no secret handshake that gets you an earlier car, there is no preference given to certain people - it's a methodical LOGICAL system that is as RANDOM as it can be that assigns the cars.

Your question has been answered 10 times over - please let it go!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I never come to this forum til this week, so this is really funny !!

....what are the qualifications for being a "VIP"?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have to ask, you:

a) are'nt one
b) will probably never be one
c) need to read more while waiting.........

"I hear AeroSmith" gets the first cars......

Can anyone tell me the NAMES of the AeroSmith band, except Stephen Tyler?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
let me get this right? ....... dodge played favorites in choosing who get the first cars? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Honest answer.
Reality based answer.
Market-savvy wise answer.
As in NO-BRAINER answer:

Y E S. Welcome to the USA, and God Bless Dodge for getting hi-profile, value-building, flag-waving Dodge owners and VIPS their SRT/10s first, increasing the exposure of the brand for their stockholder expectations. Whiners last please, but alas......

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And, what's the big deal with being first?? Don't we all RARELY see ANY Viper on the road? And there are 10,000 of them. If I get mine next May, I'll bet I still won't have seen one "on the road". Maybe at a Viper meeting, but not on the road.

In effect, we will ALL be first, as long as we get the 03 sometime in the next year.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

Joey Kramer

Brad Whitford

Steven Tyler

Joe Perry

I think that's all of them.

Funny story - Joey Kramer lives not too far from me, and he owned a silver GTS a while back (custom job). I had just gotten my 1998 which was one of the first silvers around. I was dating a girl who lived in his hometown, and EVERYONE thought I was Joey while I was out driving.

I was down there alot that year. One time Steven Tyler drove by us the other way in a little sports car (TR6 or something) with what looked like Liv, and they both gave a big wave - maybe thought I was Joey? or maybe Liv thought I was hot? (ok, so I admit probably the former!).