How to build a professional motorsports wiring harness... 101

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Step 1: Clear schedule for a month or two.

Step 2: Fire up Microsoft Excel, the coffee maker, and get the keys to the nearest padded room.

Step 3: Create templates and order sheets.

Step 4: Empty Wallet and Bank Account.

Step 5: Devote life to identifying and locating every terminal and connector known to man, purchase these items, and prepare to do it at least ten more times along the way:

You must be registered for see images

Step 6: Arrange items in the following fashion:

Step 7: Install into vehicle as shown, and pray to all that is holy that you did not write a number incorrectly anywhere between getting this grand idea, and this moment:

I cannot stress enough how much this doesn't show of this process. This is only one of three main harnesses in the car, the second is for chassis sensors and fuel system, and the third is for the interior. The third photo is early stage installation, there are over a half dozen attached items not shown yet, and you cannot see much of this harness overall when installed- the best is always hidden. Figures! These pictures do this no justice. In fact, if anyone wants one just like this, I will only trade you your car for it; therefore eliminating the need for you to have it in the first place
lmao2.gif

This is a Pectel SQ6M12 Gen-4 TT car [ECU can be seen in the top right of last photo] and has every single conceivable sensor or communication type integrated into it for onboard logging, with expansion connectors for up to 20 more sensors and actuators. If it can be tried or tested on a Viper, down to integrated video capture with indexed datalogging, this system is set up to do the job 10x over.

And it will pass OBD-2 Plug In Inspections :)

Just wait and see as this thing gets further along... all of those things I have been hinting at or mentioning will be making an appearance soon enough.

We certainly do not have the cheapest products, but no one else builds like we do either.

Power without compromise.

Perfection. That is our only requirement.

Last edited:

SSGNRDZ_28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice. Often the wiring is an afterthought to people because it "just works". The materials and tools required to build this type of harness are not cheap and experience cannot be underestimated. The time required to specify, measure, and design is incredible. If done right the end result is better in every way than what comes on the car from the factory.

If you ever get in a bind for time and need to outsource wiring let me know!

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could feel my stress level going up as I read thru this... :crazy2:
That's just intimidating
Nice work. :1up:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rather you than me! That's a LOT of work! And as you say you have to hope all is well. ;)

Good luck with the rest of it!

Is this for a customers car or something of your own?

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Rather you than me! That's a LOT of work! And as you say you have to hope all is well. ;)

Good luck with the rest of it!

Is this for a customers car or something of your own?

This one is for my car... AKA the "Shoemakers Shoes", or "VSP Test *****". Just about everything is tested on this car, so I needed to make a harness that is capable of testing just about anything to eliminate any of the question marks when it comes to developing/selling products that do as intended, and eliminating the products that don't.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan your attention to detail is second to none. Very well done indeed.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain Dan, the harnesses in my car have hundreds of hours into them (not by me though!)
Harnesses look great, looking forward to seeing what new products you're developing on the car

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Envious to say the least, wish I could perform stuff like this myself! Awesome, awesome work and very impressive!

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I will update this a bit with different angles and products as things progress.

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having Specialized in High Voltage Power Equipment for allmost 30 years , I can appreciate good wiring ! Nice work Dan ! :2tu:

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having Specialized in High Voltage Power Equipment for allmost 30 years , I can appreciate good wiring ! Nice work Dan ! :2tu:

Somehow I think we may be in the same line of work.

Dan, for somebody that has never done any type of work like this, it doesn't look to complex. But to someone that has done an extensive amount of wiring, I realize the skill it takes. Very nice and clean work.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks all!

I should also note, that there are ZERO spliced pigtails in this harness. Every single raw terminal was sourced for production- there are just some of them in the photos as certain connectors that had to be purchased for samples to locate components came with them.

We even go so far as identifying mating connectors, and if needed, having terminal batches gold plated to match the particular mating contact material.

When it comes to professional vehicle wiring... there is no limit here!

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan that is great work there, I can see that there is no room errors,one wrong wire connection can keep you scratching your head for hours, I have repair wiring harness for a living and have done dash fires when all of the insulation has melted together! what a nightmare and doesn't compare to your work .:2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang