I don't drive my GTS anymore..

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I don\'t drive my GTS anymore..

I like all Vipers. That said, I don't think DC will ever match the beauty of the original viper: the RT/10.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is your's a GTS-R, or a wanna be? And how long ago was that win?
oh wait, SRT's don't have any wins... unless you count drifting

I guess you never heard of Tommy Archer and his Gen III?

Archer wins 2004 Speed GT Championship
"Tommy Archer drove the race of his life at Laguna Seca to win the 2004 Speed GT Championship. Starting in 10th position, he knew his work was cut out for him. However, the weight on his shoulders increased when he stalled his Viper on the start and fell toward the back of the field. From this point on, he was a man on a mission passing cars left and right to finish on the podium in 3rd. This is by far his most impressive drive of the year and solidifies his title as champion in 2004."

St. Petersburg Speed GT Top 10 Finishers:
1. Tommy Archer 3R Viper
2. Robin Liddell Porsche
3. Lou Gigliotti Corvette
4. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac
5. Wolf Henzler Porsche
6. Phil McClure 3R Viper
7. Tim Wiens 3R Viper
8. Tom Oates Corvette
9. Jon Groom Porsche
10. Rob Foster Viper

Speed GT Top 10 Driver's Points After Two Rounds:
1. Tommy Archer 3R Viper 65
2. Robin Liddell Porsche 53
3. Andy Pilgrim Cadillac 51
4. Wolf Henzler Porsche 46
5. Phil McClure 3R Viper 40
6. Tim Wiens 3R Viper 36
7. Max Papis Cadillac 35
8. Tom Oates Corvette 34
9. Mike McCann Viper 29
10. Sonny Whelen Corvette 26

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Podium: race winner Tommy Archer with Andy Pilgrim and Robin Liddell
SCCA-WC > Sebring, 2005-03-18 (Sebring International Raceway): GT Friday race

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's not quite LeMans and not a Dodge sponsored team (I think). Still great efforts, but speaks more about the greatness of the drivers rather than their platform of choice... not that I'm knocking the CompCoupe, but I want to see Dodge stand behind their Viper in a competition where you get as much attention losing as you do winning... and WIN!

Does anyone NOT want the Viper back in LeMans?

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree that the Gen III drives better. Not dramatically better, mind you. But then, my '00 ACR has some mods that make it better than a stock creampuff Gen II (headers, exh, rollers, flywheel, stop techs, MP comp, fluidyne, roll bar & other safety stuff).

But the fact is: the Gen III brakes are just plain incredible. I will upgrade my Gen II brakes to Gen III spec one of these days.

I occasionally drive a friend's Gen I car. It's still a blast to drive, and it draws more attention than my SRT-10.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree that the Gen III drives better. Not dramatically better, mind you. But then, my '00 ACR has some mods that make it better than a stock creampuff Gen II (headers, exh, rollers, flywheel, stop techs, MP comp, fluidyne, roll bar & other safety stuff).

But the fact is: the Gen III brakes are just plain incredible. I will upgrade my Gen II brakes to Gen III spec one of these days.

I occasionally drive a friend's Gen I car. It's still a blast to drive, and it draws more attention than my SRT-10.

The brakes alone make it a dramatic improvement. It's scarey when I have to brake quickly to avoid an accident in my 97 gts, and it's not just because of lack of ABS... the brakes just ****. I'll be upgraading my brakes as well.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's not quite LeMans and not a Dodge sponsored team (I think). Still great efforts, but speaks more about the greatness of the drivers rather than their platform of choice... not that I'm knocking the CompCoupe, but I want to see Dodge stand behind their Viper in a competition where you get as much attention losing as you do winning... and WIN!

Comp Coupe teams ARE privateers, but they are running against factory big buck teams like Cadillac which makes it even more impressive to me. And yes, I would like to go back to LeMans too. Read the following account by Bob Woodhouse and you will see what I mean about Speed GT and the Cadillac team..................

Race report from the windshield of the Woodhouse Viper Comp Coupe

First thank you all for your calls, those who watched the live broadcast Sunday, you know things got ugly, but no bones and no bruises. I can’t start there, let’s back up, we will get to the race in a few moments.

That feeling , the one you get from a track driving experience, when you, the car, and the track all come together; oh what a feeling it is. Most of you know that feeling. It makes you love the world you are in, it makes you happy to be alive, exhilarating, your fingers and toes tingle. (Hey hey, don’t go there.) Friday, the second day of practice, I have that feeling, Rick and Nancy have the car dialed, I am one with Laguna Seca and this wonderful #13 Viper Competition Coupe. If this were music it would be Bach, if it were dance; ballet, if it were romance; the first time. You also know it is as addictive as smoking.

I ran across another guy who knows that feeling. Jonathan Martinez, fellow Viper Club member and west coast racer, you could see the joy in his eyes. He was giddy, having the greatest time living out a dream, pro racing his red 97 GTS Viper clothed in the makeup of the winning 2000 ALMS Viper. He teaches school. “I am so delighted to just be here, this is my alter ego, nobody would believe this at work.” With him in the paddock were other California Viper racers, John Deering, Al Bacera, Ted May and Joe Brigante. A vibrant group of folks that make you appreciate their presence. They coordinated with Maurice Liang and mad scientist John Penn to get us all together for a Club Dinner with the Northern California Viper Club. Good people, good time.

Our Saturday qualifying times told us we had matched the pole sitting time of 2004, that was then, this is now; we are still off by 1.5 seconds from this year’s pole. This game is being played by teams of people no less professional in their roles than those that launch a moon shot. I have respect since I understand what it takes to bring another second to the game. This gets past the “oh what a feeling” and into serious business (pressure); from all directions: sponsors, team members, competitors, sanctioning bodies.

Now for the race: Leighton Reese said it best Sunday night at the SCCA Speed W.C. banquet. “I came to a bar room brawl this afternoon and somehow a race broke out.” If you were expecting gentlemen racing this was not the day. Testosterone, anxiety, grudges, and the price people are willing to pay for winning all exposed their demonic chemistry for this final race. Both Manufacturers Championship and Drivers Championships for 2005 were still up for grabs. Rookie of the Year was the only done deal in the record books. (won by Sonny Whelen, a man of character that red mist will not compromise).. I must spare you the details, for you will find them elsewhere but understand that these Championships came at a price; that of exposing the character of individuals under pressure. Not pretty. The phenomena of the desire to win is called “red mist”. Familiar Lou, yes?

There was mist everywhere Sunday afternoon It. helped end my day after one entire lap of racing. The back half of the Woodhouse Auto Family sponsored Viper CC #13 had the likeness of humpty dumpty at the base of the wall when Jimmy McCann’s yellow Viper CC came careening downhill out of control, fresh off of an altercation with the Mike Davis Saleen Mustang. I was told they went to war at the top of the hill where Mike attempted a pass on Jimmy. That piece of track referred to as corner one, is actually part of the main straight at a 130 mph hillcrest. Mist? Racing incident? Who knows but that bull fight ended with both cars spinning sending Jimmy cart wheeling along the exit lane concrete wall, across the gravel trap into the center of corner two, then explosive deceleration as his Viper torpedoed ours in the middle of the turn.

It was like getting a shock from a light socket. When you were a kid and your brother blew into a paper sack then popped it next to your ear? That’s the sound. What the ……? “There’s nobody behind me, this didn’t happen” as my brain fumbles with the obvious. This was just the first of several full course yellows that “red mist” influenced. In Nascar, where the driver gets out of the wreck and throws his helmet as the other car passes; yeah it entered my mind.

I love this car, slammed sideways by a 3300 pound anvil that produced around three full rotations gets your attention but I felt protected. The helmet slapped that ear on the racing seat designed for this very purpose. Safety crews do not like you climbing out of your car so I stayed put causing a few friends to call that were watching this “live”. After the crew pulled the car to safety, they efficiently got Jimmy and I out of there.

Mike McCann had said earlier that he felt Laguna was a Viper friendly track and that our brakes were a strength that displayed well here. He set out to prove it, making some passes under braking that put your neck hair at attention. He was in second when the bullfighting got serious and the three car Cadillac team decided to eliminate the competition. Mike got punted to the sand as did Robin Liddell in the Porsche leaving Tommy to his own battles with the Caddies. It does us no good to judge, that is for SCCA. Tommy’s patience/aggression and skill were show cased in the few green laps available but it was all he could do to find the last podium spot.

Got to hand it to the Cadillac team and their effort, they proved they had what it takes. They also proved that they had just one professional driver, Andy Pilgrim, the other two missed kindergarten, they never learned to play well with others. Bad karma to be settled by the rules makers. Top 10 Finishers: Max Papis, Max Angelelli, Tommy Archer, Andy Pilgrim, James Sofronas, Tim Wiens, Leighton Reese, Mike Davis, Tony Gaples, Lawson Aschenbach

It has been a heck of a year for the Woodhouse Auto Family Viper Competiton Coupe # 13. Trouble clung to us like smell to garlic. Kenny Hawkins diagnosed our incidents this year and determined we need a number change for number next year. Could be. Just keep going to www.woodhouse.com, and keep being our friends, thanks for caring. See you next year, and stay tuned, there could be a surprise coming.

[email protected]

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Comp Coupe teams ARE privateers, but they are running against factory big buck teams like Cadillac which makes it even more impressive to me. And yes, I would like to go back to LeMans too. Read the following account by Bob Woodhouse and you will see what I mean about Speed GT and the Cadillac team..................
Yeah, I hear you about the Cadillac team. Coincidence they sponsored the race. :smirk:

If I remember correctly, the Vipers are restricted from running at full strength, too.

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DevilDog / Warfang,

Re read my post... If you dont' want to , I'll re post it for you....

Any of you multiple viper owners experience this? I do NOT drive my GTS anymore. I can't beleive it........ The drive, feel, top down-ness (is there such a word?) of the SRT is simply so superior makes me never want to jump in my GTS. The only reason I'll jump in my GTS is for the near 1,000 HP rush I get..

Read the 1st sentence. Both of you go act like a bunch of stupid apes somewhere else.. mmmkay? :2tu: :rolleyes: Now leave the rest of us classy guys alone.... what a bunch of losers... hahahahaha, sorry had to laugh there..

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sell the car to someone who can put it to good use. N' quite the "My GTS isn't worthy anymore BS". If'n you wanna pat your SRT10 pals on the back n' have a "Love In", that's fine with me, but I'll be hangin' with the new GTS Owner. End of story...

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DevilDog / Warfang,

Re read my post... If you dont' want to , I'll re post it for you....

Any of you multiple viper owners experience this? I do NOT drive my GTS anymore. I can't beleive it........ The drive, feel, top down-ness (is there such a word?) of the SRT is simply so superior makes me never want to jump in my GTS. The only reason I'll jump in my GTS is for the near 1,000 HP rush I get..

Read the 1st sentence. Both of you go act like a bunch of stupid apes somewhere else.. mmmkay? :2tu: :rolleyes: Now leave the rest of us classy guys alone.... what a bunch of losers... hahahahaha, sorry had to laugh there..

We've moved on a loooong time ago from this topic, Gerald. Happy Thanksgiving! :D

I think you're the one that needs to re-read some posts here. I think DevilDog has some anger issues, so I don't know why I'm getting lumped in with him. All I've said is how great the SRT drives, how timeless the GTS is, and dodge needs to get back into LeMans to officially prove the SRT's abilities. If in the process, I had to be a bit crass with an idiot or two for saying idiotic things (Like the gen2 wins at LeMans is old history and meaningless), so be it. Doesn't take away from my 3 points.

You've always seem like a pretty reasonable guy, so I'll just chalk it up as the turkey in your belly talking.

...always question people that like to point themselves out as "classy". :D

OP
OP
G

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sell the car to someone who can put it to good use. N' quite the "My GTS isn't worthy anymore BS". If'n you wanna pat your SRT10 pals on the back n' have a "Love In", that's fine with me, but I'll be hangin' with the new GTS Owner. End of story...

Sell my car???? NEEEVER! I LOVE IT! After all, I need a pos to drive around when it's raining.. LOL!!!!! ;)

G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do I take it that you will not "hang" with SRT owners? What do you do with those that have both? Like 'em one day and hate 'em the next?

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I only hate people that owe me money...and I'll hang with anybody. But I have more in common with the GTS Owner. The SRT 10 is a better performing car than previous models. But I don't aspire to be an SRT10 Owner. I'm more of a Classic/Vintage Auto Enthusiast (we all have our problems).

"Sell my car???? NEEEVER! I LOVE IT! After all, I need a pos to drive around when it's raining.. LOL!!!!! "

Exactly

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To each his own. But I never thought to disclude a GTS owner when driving my RT/10. I guess I just thought it was Viper owners hanging together.

Every argument you can make works for the Gen I vs GTS as well. More performance. Different appearance, engine, interior, roof, wheels, tires, etc. The only major difference is the higher than thou opinion that some current GTS owners convey. Not stating you are in that crowd, but your statement above is in alignment with it.

Unfortunately that is an attitude that we need to eliminate if the Viper community is to remain as one community. As separate communities you would see Dodge support disappear (remember they are in the business of selling new cars). Doubtful that would be a good thing for any of us.

Oh, forgot to add that most SRT owners were once Gen I or Gen II owners and share the ownership experience. Most could probably help when you experience an issue with your car as well (or have repair parts in their garage :) ).

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

To each his own. But I never thought to disclude a GTS owner when driving my RT/10. I guess I just thought it was Viper owners hanging together.

Every argument you can make works for the Gen I vs GTS as well. More performance. Different appearance, engine, interior, roof, wheels, tires, etc. The only major difference is the higher than thou opinion that some current GTS owners convey. Not stating you are in that crowd, but your statement above is in alignment with it.

Unfortunately that is an attitude that we need to eliminate if the Viper community is to remain as one community. As separate communities you would see Dodge support disappear (remember they are in the business of selling new cars). Doubtful that would be a good thing for any of us.

Oh, forgot to add that most SRT owners were once Gen I or Gen II owners and share the ownership experience. Most could probably help when you experience an issue with your car as well (or have repair parts in their garage :) ).

Well said... divided we fall.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is just Viper Owners Hangin' together, and I'm not suggesting we divide the group. I've never met a SRT10/RT10/GTS owner that ever suggested otherwise. But I've taken my share of your car don't brake for chit, and it can't corner like mine, and those soft windows stink. The guys are just yankin' my chain, because we are friends and they have my permission.

Not at all unlike this and every other Red or Yellow cars are faster discussion.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Guys, we are re-creating history. Nothing wrong with owning more than one generation of an American Sports car. A bunch of guys own more than one Corvette. The only difference is we NEVER had a generation of underperformers like they did. Every one of our cars kicks asp. And yada, yada, yada about the Z. It's days are numbered.

I don't think the Z's days are numbered. It's a fabulous car. Having seen my first one a couple of weeks ago, and having owned and driven earlier C5s, I think the new Z06 will sell like hotcakes after dealers stop gouging. For $20,000 less than a Viper Coupe, the Z06 is the clear winner.

Having said that, I missed my 96 RT/10 almost as soon as I bought my Vette, and now that I'm coming up on my first year of ownership of my 03 Viper, I like it better than when I bought it, and it is starting to look like a keeper. There is just *something* about the SRT. :2tu: :usa: :nana:

Midwest Muscle

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm new to the Viper world, just bought an '01 GTS yesterday. I considered the SRT-10, and they seem superior in terms of horsepower and updates. And yes, a true droptop is a great ride.

But I went with a GTS with just over 2K miles. My misgiving with the SRT-10 was that I absolutely hate depreciation. The GTS still has a little ways to fall, but nothing like a brand new car does. And for me personally, when I think "Viper", the GTS body style is exactly like the picture in my mind.=

I figured I would let the first lucky owner eat the depreciation, and then I wouldn't have to think about it while the car sat in my garage. The more my kids' college costs, the more I think about these as fun vehicles, but also consider the money side of things.

Mike M

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala