In search of traction

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running BFG's right now at around 25 psi on the street. This is great weather for making power (yesterday the high was around 50 with no humidity), but even with the BFG's I'm severely traction limited in 1st, 2nd and to a lesser extent 3rd, although by 3rd it's starting to hook pretty good with some slippage. I keep reading posts by people with similar setups (>850 rwhp) claiming that BFG's, or even Pilot Cups or Kumhos, "hook really well, even in 1st" etc. and I'm trying to figure out why that doesn't seem to be the case with me. Obviously the cooler road surface may be part of it, but I wondered about two other issues: 1) tire pressure--as noted, I'm running 25 right now; how low can I go without risking a problem with stability or the tire slipping on the rim, and how much difference will it make? and 2) my BFG's were pretty thoroughly abused during road and dyno testing/tuning when they were new and have tiny cracks/wrinkles all over the tread surface--could this have something to do with why they don't seem to be hooking as well as they should? I wouldn't have thought so, but I didn't expect the back end to go sideways on every 1-2 shift at WOT either.

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ronnie ...I have very good luck with 18" Kumhos do not use 17" , smaller tires are like using a different ratio in your diff. I have had very impressed with these tires, although cooler weather gives your car more horsepower and also makes the road have less traction.
BFG have no corner ability and whats the point of having a Viper ,if can't haul cass in the corners. That is why I like the Kumhos, it gives you the best of BOTH worlds.

Cudaman :usa:

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ward, I actually have a pair of the Kumhos in my basement that I bought just in case I found the BFG's too mushy in the cornering department. And they are mushy, but I'd be willing to live with that if they hooked like crazy. I can certainly swap them out and try the Kumhos, but could a tire with more tread and a stiffer sidewall possibly hook better than the BFG's on the street? Maybe the BFG's hook better at the track hot but the Kumhos hook better on the street cold?

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cool pavement will make a huge difference, like already mentioned.

I previously had Kumhos, and LOVED them compared to the BFGs on the street.

Throw those Kumhos on! Just make sure you give them a good 'spin' to warm them up this time of year! :2tu:

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ronnie,
I'm in NY where it's starting to get cold. I also run BFG's and once the weather cools the combination of cold air and roads means no traction. 1st & 2nd spin pretty easily, but things get hairy when 3rd starts spinning. Haven't tried the Kumhos yet, let us know what you think of them compared to the BFG's after you mount them up. I hate these tires in the corners, but am waiting until they are dead before I spend more money on rubber.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cold pavement + too much throttle is a recipe for disaster. Put it away till summer...

:)

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cold pavement + too much throttle is a recipe for disaster. Put it away till summer...

The hell you say! I'll practice drifting before I'll do that. :D :D

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BFG's hook better than anything you can possibly run on the street! When you make more hp than they can handle, you have to start adjusting your foot. They hook better when they are worn than they do new, so I'd guess the cold pavement is probably your problem.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cold pavement + too much throttle is a recipe for disaster. Put it away till summer...:)

Rich,

You forget he lives in TN. Our garage queens have to hibernate for awhile.

OP
OP
R

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BC, that's pretty much what I thought. I may drop the pressure a couple of pounds and see if it helps, or I might try the Kumhos just to see if there is any difference.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kumhos won't be as good. They are a better all around tire, but for straight line traction, the BFG's are much better.

YELL03

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The cold weather is rough on traction.

My car is STOCK except for filters and smooth tubes.

At ATCO 11/13/04 (Vettes vs Vipers) on Pilots at 22#, i was launching easy (line was prepped good), but I couldn't go full throttle on the 1-2 without lifting and even the 2-3 spun and hopped like the 1-2 normally would in warmer weather.

I saw a guy trying to run Kumhos on a Viper with NOS and he was having serious traction problems also.

Even so, Kumhos will be my next tire.

Howard

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ronnie I just can't understand your traction problems. I mean you only have 860 rwhp. What's the problem? Those Pilot sports should hook just fine. :D :D :D :p

J/K I understand your pain I don't think any of the tires out there are gonna do much good with the kind of power we have.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yell03:

You will change your mind about the Kumhos. Straight line traction is not that good (except on a prepped track) and the continual peppering of the sills and wheel wells will get to you. If you live in a perfect world and drive on roads without pebbles/cinders you may be OK.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With my experience the BFGs blow doors on the Kuhmos...the only thing I have found to hook harder on the street is the new Mickey Thompson drag radials. I drive my BFGs at 21 pounds on the street and spray it all the time. You can't do a 4000 rpm hole shot on the street making that kind of power when it is cold out on any tire. Like somebody else said " they hook a lot better after they are broke in". I have cut some of my best 60 foot times on BFGs that were on the verge of showing the cords.
Later,
Joe