Installing Stoptech 4 wheel system tonight - any tips?

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am starting the install of the Stoptech 4 wheel system tonight. Although the installation instructions look straight forward, I was wondering if any of you that have done the installation have any tips that helped the installation go smoother, something not to do, or any other helpful comments.

Thanks

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you are installing their stainless steel lines as well, lay ALL the hardware out...be SURE that you have all the parts, including brackets...and do a "walk thru" on your Viper BEFORE you disconnect stock hoses.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just take your time. It isn't that complicated. Make sure you have all the tools they say you'll need including an 11mm box wrench [for bleeding the brake lines]. Most sets go straight from 10mm to 12mm... I had to buy an 11.

And make sure you have a brake bleeder kit. There are TWO bleeder valves on each caliper... I didn't notice that there were 2 the first time... Make sure you follow the break-in procedure.

Have fun! It will take a little while, but it is worth it!

JD

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two holes in the brackets that hold the front brake lines on the back of the steering knuckle. You have to remove (and then re-install) two (of the wheel bearing bolts, I think) to mount this bracket. You'll need a torque wrench, and when I did mine, I got the Gen 2 version, so the holes were too small. The correction, as advised by StopTech (not their fault) to simply drill the holes larger (or send them back for replacement.)

Again on a Gen 1, the larger diameter suspension arms allow the rear brake lines to come really close to rubbing (your other choice was to rub the wheel.) If you have some smaller diameter rubber hose to slit and cover your brake line, secure with tie-wraps, it'll make you feel better.

Good time to buy speedbleeders. Good luck!

OP
OP
N

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I am going to make certain of the items listed above and then get started.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure you have the proper instructions for the front brake line supports (RevC1). They included an older version with mine and it made things pretty confusing at first as the new bracket is designed to mount on the top two spindle bolts and the instructions showed it mounting on the bottom two. I have a copy of the revised instructions if you need them.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff -

I just did a stoptech front only kit, and the bracket they gave me for the brake support line looked like the wrong one! And the directions said to install it on the bottom.

Were the directions wrong? We were pretty sure it didn't go on the bottom, but it didn't look like a perfect fit on the top either. The bracket was different than the picture... the bracket protruded at a 90 degree angle as opposed to the picture that did at a 45 degree angle.

Where should that bracket have gone?

Thanks!

JD

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JD,
I think your situation is the same as mine. The old instructions show a bracket with a 45deg bend that is designed to install in the lower bolts. The new bracket is bent at 90 deg and installs in the upper bolts. The most important thing is that the brake lines do not rub on the suspension when turning the wheels left/right. Here is a picture that goes with the updated instructions:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/gallery/data/500/18401ViperFrontLine2-med.jpg?2397

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff -

That is _definitely_ what I need to fix. I moutend the bracket on the bottom pair and then bent the bracket. We got it clear, but it took some effort.

Thanks for posting that pic! You definitely settled the confusion.

JD

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newt,
I did the same thing (bending the bracket) before I called them. Did my install in January, not quite sure why they haven't updated the instructions yet. :(