Is 2000 considered an in between year for the GTS?

Wifey's Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just wondering if the 2000 GTS was considered an odd year. It does not have the forged internals of the 96-99 models nor does it have ABS like the following two years. Does this affect the value at all? I am somewhat torn between looking for a 1999 ACR or 2001-2002 ACR but have thus far shyed away from the 2000's. Is this valid or just stupid?

As you can see we are new to the board, mostly lurking since May, but have found this site a tremdous help. I bought my wife a 2002 Graphite GTS in May and I am hardly allowed to drive it. She just polishes it with Zanio and looks at it. She even had the carpenter install 12 can lights in the garage so she could see it better! Guess who got to paint the garage though. We love it so much she wants me to get my own.

Thanks for any help regarding the ACRs and what years are more desirable.

Karl & Chrissy (in absentia)

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you care about the forged internals or the ABS brakes then the 2000 would be worth less to you. If you don't care, they are a good deal as they are probably a bit cheaper than the other years.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually, someone here mentioned that the highest stock horsepower numbers came from the 2000 (of course, I'm sure its only 2-10 hp more). If you don't plan on modifying it, there is no difference, supposedly. When I was researching prices last year, there was absolutely no discount given for year 2000 Vipers, nor would I ever be giving one myself. Each year's base price was a little cheaper than the newer years, and the 2000's fell between the 2001 and 1999, as you'd expect.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted a Steel Gray ACR, so a 2000 was my only choice. If you're going to put a huge blower on it then maybe it's not the best choice. Like Bill Pemberton told me, if enough people think the 99's are the way to go then that will drive the price higher based on perception. He said the 2000 recorded the fastest out of the box performance ever. I've had two 2000 Steel Gray ACR's built within two hours of each other and my first one was much quicker. ABS is a great feature and the 2000 doesn't have it, but neither does the 99. The 2000 does have a larger oil pan than the 99 and those hypereutectic pistons that everyone slams have the potential to run smoother and last longer due to tighter clearances as well. The longer rods also explain the lighter piston mass. All that said, I do like the larger 708 cam lope the 99's have. I would be interested in getting a perfect car rather than anything else. So why not include the 2000 in your search? , you might even get a better deal on a great car. P.S. graphite is an awesome color as well!

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Karl: Chrissy must be quite a woman. Most guys on this board seem to have wives who want them to get rid of their brash, noisy, V10 Coffins. ( I'm single and don't suffer from that affliction )...

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You are one lucky guy. She don't let you drive her car but let you get your own? Does she have a sister? Just kidding. I wish you luck on your choice. Sorry I can't help. Just got mine 8 months ago and still have the grin in my face everytime I take her for a spin. :D :2tu:

OP
OP
W

Wifey's Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrissy is pretty amazing. Originally she wanted a 427 Cobra kit built but after running the numbers to do it right it was going to be $45-50k. The Viper was a better choice, more driveable and a better investment.

I may look at the 2000 as well after reading all the posts. I appreciate all the help and keep it coming.

Thanks again.

Karl

P.S. Has anyone dealt with Exotic Motors in Roselle, IL?

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I want BC's SRT so my 2000 is for sale, I do have the 708 cam in it so you get the lighter pistons plus the .66 overlap.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It really depends on what you are looking to do with the car. For me personally, I would not consider a 2000 as I knew I was going to supercharge it. If you do not think you will be doing any forced induction I recommend buy whatever year / color excites you.