Is it worth the extra few grand to get a 96 B/W over 97

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a new addition to the family and it has to be a B/W but I am finding 96's are a bit more than 97's?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, 96' should be worth a couple K more just because they are the FIRST GTS.

Not sure if you want a stock Viper (this one isn't) , but here is one that was on Ebay a week ago or so and didn't sell. Its a 96' GTS and at $42k for now

Ebay GTS

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id think the 97's were more valuable since they are the first true GEN2 instead of the GEN 1 1/2

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE 97 is a better car, no engine seal issues and I believe ( from personal experience ) that the 97's are a little more powerful, maybe late 96's are the same but the 96 I had and dynoed came in at 385 RWHP but my 97 RT/10 is soooo strong the but dyno says alot more RWHP

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I consider 96' GTS true Gen 2's. Only us RT/10 guys have a Gen 1.5. The 96' GTS is all Gen 2 stuff, 96' RT/10s are a combo of Gen 1 and Gen 2

i really thought the late GTS 96's were not exactly the same as the 97's and the rest of the GEN2's...

ballhog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the buying guide, collectibility is about the same. 97's, have narrower stripes, forged wheels instead of cast and a Dana Super 44 which has thicker bolts replaced the Dana 44. The biggest and most important difference is that made them in Red in 97.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
id think the 97's were more valuable since they are the first true GEN2 instead of the GEN 1 1/2
You have the '96 GTS confused with the '06 RT/10. '96 GTS's were not "gen 1.5"'s.

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
THE 97 is a better car, no engine seal issues and I believe ( from personal experience ) that the 97's are a little more powerful, maybe late 96's are the same but the 96 I had and dynoed came in at 385 RWHP but my 97 RT/10 is soooo strong the but dyno says alot more RWHP

My 96 B/W is a monster, way stronger than my 02, maybe you got a lemon, was your 96 a rt10? Anyway, 96's are the first, only ones with stripe right down the plate.....the ultimate B/W available, that's why they are a bit more money. All the other horse$hit you hear about seals and weaker years is nonsense. As long as it's pre 00, it's the stronger engine with the lumpy cam. Get the 96, but a 97 ain't bad either.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget, the '97 B/W was the ONLY B/W ever made that did not have stripes going down through the license plate area. :p

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 96 B/W is a monster, way stronger than my 02, maybe you got a lemon, was your 96 a rt10? Anyway, 96's are the first, only ones with stripe right down the plate.....the ultimate B/W available, that's why they are a bit more money. All the other horse$hit you hear about seals and weaker years is nonsense. As long as it's pre 00, it's the stronger engine with the lumpy cam. Get the 96, but a 97 ain't bad either.

My 96 was a GTS, but it was the first GTS ever made so maybe the engine was more similar to the Gen 1 engine, the first dozen or so cars had these engines and it definately felt much weaker than my 97 RT/10

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget, the '97 B/W was the ONLY B/W ever made that did not have stripes going down through the license plate area. :p

Personally I would rather have the stripes go through the license plate area. :p

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I would rather have a 96. But if you are going to drive or modify the car I'd go with the car that is in better shape or the better buy.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To me I think today they are close in value and guess in the future that the 96 may be worth a premium due to it being the first of the Gen 2's. I'd personally go for the best deal on the B/W regardless of whether its a 96 or 97 and buy whichever gives you the best bang for your buck. Of course, location of the car is also an important factor. Almost more important than whether it is a 96 or 97. JMHO.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, a 96 GTS engine is as strong as any. It should be noted not only do the strips go all the way thru the rear, the strips are also wider on a 1996.

Yes the 1996 did have some problems (e.g. leak oil from rear main seal cover gasket) no doubt about it. Either way you choose, you will have a nice car.

Rev

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I totally agree, a 96 GTS engine is as strong as any. It should be noted not only do the strips go all the way thru the rear, the strips are also wider on a 1996.

Yes the 1996 did have some problems (e.g. leak oil from rear main seal cover gasket) no doubt about it. Either way you choose, you will have a nice car.

Rev

[/QUOTE]

Were there any recalls with the oil leak? Can I expect to have this problem eventually, or should I assume at 15,000m it has already been taken care of?

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smaller Oil pan to. Most change it to the later factory larger one if they do much hard driving.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a VIN check at a Dodge dealer. They can give you a service history. If you don't have issue at 15K miles, you most likely won't - All of my 1996 specific issues occurred before then.

1997's GTS's have their share of issues too.....

BTW, 435.4 RWHP Dynojet dyno, SAE corrected, as delivered except for K&N's and smooth tubes.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
434.8 RWHP SAE Corrected, Dynojet with tubes & filters. 5k on a '02

The '02 FE's are my favorites!

Do a VIN check at a Dodge dealer. They can give you a service history. If you don't have issue at 15K miles, you most likely won't - All of my 1996 specific issues occurred before then.

1997's GTS's have their share of issues too.....

BTW, 435.4 RWHP Dynojet dyno, SAE corrected, as delivered except for K&N's and smooth tubes.

Kevin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1997 B/W's ARE the Viper to have*** ;) Mine doesn't have and has never had any issues. Which is why I paid the extra premium for a *97 B/W* over a 96 B/W in the first place*

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While obviously any Viper is special, doesn't the fact that 1996 GTS's sell at a premium over 1997's say it all?