Is there a lever/cable to open the rear hatch from the cabin?

nspec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I always have to open it using the fob or the lock in the back. Is there no button or lever for it in the cabin?

Its an 06 coupe. And the remote doesnt work when the key is in the ignition I always have to turn it off and pull the key out to open the hatch.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To my knowledge there's no button inside the cabin to open the trunk. I have an 04; I usually use the button on the key fob to open the trunk. Mine still unlocks with the key in the ignition; I just have to listen for the clicking sound of the hatch unlocking which can be difficult to hear over the sound of the loud running engine. I never understood why the car was never designed with a trunk release switch in the cabin ( if anyone knows why..I'm all ears )..I always thought it was a design flaw. One could easily lock themselves out of the car by accidentally locking the car keys in the trunk. I know cause it almost happened to me a few times..

OP
OP
N

nspec

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for the replies.

Pretty ****ing ******** though! I'll have to make my own i guess

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a button wouldn't do mine any good, the weight of the wing holds the hatch down, you have to pull up on the hatch as you hit the release button. If you don't pull up it re-locks itself after it pops. No idea if its the same on the regular coupe.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know a button wouldn't do mine any good, the weight of the wing holds the hatch down, you have to pull up on the hatch as you hit the release button. If you don't pull up it re-locks itself after it pops. No idea if its the same on the regular coupe.
You can adjust the rubber bump stops to fix that problem.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. The trunk will open with the fob with the key in the ignition (and even with the car running). You just have to use the ebrake.

2. I know why the vert was designed without a button in the cabin, and honestly no convertible should ever have a trunk release inside. This is done so you can leave your car parked with items you are concerned about in the trunk, and nobody can get to them. I leave my car parked all the time with the top down, but even if you have it up, a convertible top is extremely easy to cut through.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense for convertibles; I never looked at it that way, but what's the logic for not having one in the coupe models.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the coupe, I have to admit that I don't get it. Since its a hatch and not a true trunk, you can technically get to anything in the hatch area from inside the car. Since it's not a security thing with the coupe, I can only assume it's because they didn't feel like putting one in there. lol

Wiretech

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process of installing power trunk release for my buddy's 05 copperhead in center console next to lighter socket.
You must be registered for see images attach
Will post more pictures when the jobs done.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The GTS didn't get a release lever until 99'. I unfortunately have to live without it. I don't know why they would take away a feature they once had for three years.

SNIPERDOG

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Mine does the same thing:(

You can adjust the rubber bump stops to fix that problem.

You are awesome!!!!!!!!.,., problem is fixed :headbang:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang