Is this true or not about the new viper?

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far I have had 2 dealerships tell me that SRT tells them they are not allowed to do test drives on the viper. Is this true or do they just not want to give me a test drive? lol. I feel a little anxious about spending 145k on a car without first driving it.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are 100% full of ****. In reality, SRT built 50 identical red GTS that are meant to be demo cars they are SUPPOSED to let people drive.

Now, i can see why they don't want to let people drive them, but still. Porsche doesn't care if you go take a spin in a 140k 911, hell they will throw you the keys and beg you to go.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They own the car. They can give you a test drive if you like. If not then find a place that will. If it is true your money is better spent elsewhere. I absolutely will not purchase a vehicle without a test drive.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol I even told them they could drive it and I would ride as the passenger. They still said no. Another said because the future owner will freak out about it. I'm like they won't care if we drive 2 miles to see how it feels on the road come on.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah I remember when the gen IV's came out and I was shopping for one and they wouldn't let me drive it so I sat in it and it was pretty uncomfortable so I was glad I didn't drive it. I remember looking at a ZR1 some years back and was told I needed to sign the deal prior to taking it out. But McLaren, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maserati and Lamborghini threw the keys lol

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until I drove off in my ACR I had never driven a Viper. And I owned four Vette models and got to drive a demo when I bought my 94 and they almost inisted I drive the ZR1 before we finished the deal.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Criswell? Darcars?

Lol haha it was actually both of them wouldn't let me test drive. But darcars at least let me pop the hood and start it and rev it a few times. They also said they would deal below MSRP unlike Criswell.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far I have had 2 dealerships tell me that SRT tells them they are not allowed to do test drives on the viper. Is this true or do they just not want to give me a test drive? lol. I feel a little anxious about spending 145k on a car without first driving it.

Absolutely wrong. SRT can't tell them what to do with the car, the dealership owns the vehicles, and like ViperSmith said, there were 50 Adrenaline Red cars made identically, intended for the dealers to show and test drive. Now obviously some of the dealers want to make more of nut thinking the demos can be sold with fewer miles, if any at all. Typical of dealerships who don't have a good grasp on how the higher end of the market works.

Then again, people who are shopping for a Journey may not be qualified (driving skills nor pocketbook) to drive a Viper, unlike the folks who are walking into a Porsche or AM dealership...

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah I remember when the gen IV's came out and I was shopping for one and they wouldn't let me drive it so I sat in it and it was pretty uncomfortable so I was glad I didn't drive it. I remember looking at a ZR1 some years back and was told I needed to sign the deal prior to taking it out. But McLaren, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maserati and Lamborghini threw the keys lol

Haha I nearly traded my shelby to crisswell chevrolet for like 15k off a zr1 but I wanted to drive it and they said no so I was like ok then too bad your not selling the car then. And that was 4 months ago and it is still sitting there. All 5 of them are still sitting there. I mean, I understand they don't want all of these driven then before you know it the car has 80 miles and no one is going to buy it unless it is invoice but come on when someone rolls up and is a serious buyer and shows they have the means there is no reason for them to not let you test drive it. It's not like I came out to them in a honda civic.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely wrong. SRT can't tell them what to do with the car, the dealership owns the vehicles, and like ViperSmith said, there were 50 Adrenaline Red cars made identically, intended for the dealers to show and test drive. Now obviously some of the dealers want to make more of nut thinking the demos can be sold with fewer miles, if any at all. Typical of dealerships who don't have a good grasp on how the higher end of the market works.

Then again, people who are shopping for a Journey may not be qualified (driving skills nor pocketbook) to drive a Viper, unlike the folks who are walking into a Porsche or AM dealership...

I understand this thats why I went in the shelby so they would think ok hey this person can drive a high powered car but nope. They wouldn't let me touch it. At least they let me sit in it and start it. Chevrolet wouldn't even let me sit in the ZR1. I told the sales manager that is BS that SRT tells them they can't do test drives. Actually first he said dodge told them. Then I said dodge has nothing to do with this car. Then he says chrysler and again I said this is an SRT, its a separate brand even though it is owned by Chrysler. He was such a *****.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol haha it was actually both of them wouldn't let me test drive. But darcars at least let me pop the hood and start it and rev it a few times. They also said they would deal below MSRP unlike Criswell.

Criswell has been sitting on that LE for over 3 weeks now at MSRP. Guess they may move it sometime...

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Criswell has been sitting on that LE for over 3 weeks now at MSRP. Guess they may move it sometime...

They said the sold the blue one. But the grey one isn't sold yet. I really don't like the LE. It looks ugly to be honest. I know that is the classic colors but it is ugly on this new style. I am debating between red (don't want to spend 14k for the other red), black, or grey. And maybe black stripes for any of the 3 but I am thinking maybe this viper looks good clean without stripes.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They said the sold the blue one. But the grey one isn't sold yet. I really don't like the LE. It looks ugly to be honest. I know that is the classic colors but it is ugly on this new style. I am debating between red (don't want to spend 14k for the other red), black, or grey. And maybe black stripes for any of the 3 but I am thinking maybe this viper looks good clean without stripes.
Koons has a $50k ADM on their black with gunmetal, but they will sell for MSRP

Though, I wouldn't buy at MSRP. You can find them with $10k off MSRP now...

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did not test drive mine before buying.

How do you like it? Hows the ride quality? By the way does anyone else have a problem seeing out of the car? The first thing I noticed was ******** the windshield is small and the roof cuts into it. Literally I felt like I had to slouch down to see out of it.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Koons has a $50k ADM on their black with gunmetal, but they will sell for MSRP

Though, I wouldn't buy at MSRP. You can find them with $10k off MSRP now...

Really?? Where?? Then I could get my car for 135k instead of 145k? lol

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 dealer visits so far to dealers with cars and not only would they not let me sit in the cars they didn't want me touching. In all fairness 3 of the 4 were already sold.

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
i did not test drive mine before buying.

Not only did I not test drive my first viper but I wasn't allowed to sit in it to see if my feet could reach the pedals...eventially I found out THEY DIDN'T!!

Also I'd never driven a stick before!! or a sports car of any real kind!! LOL!

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Another gen IV hater, I drive mine for hours at a time and just as comfortable as my CLS550. Bought it without a test drive,
no regrets.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I test drove the owners personal LE, it had 340 miles on it. Only went 5 miles up and down a single street and its all I needed to know it was the right car. But I really appreciated that he let me take a short test drive to make that decision.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re the 50 test cars, one showed up at Super Car Sunday two weeks ago in Woodland Hills. I'm pretty sure the one I saw two weeks ago is still in so cal at one of the local dealers.

Regardless, there has to be a dealer that will let you drive one before you buy it. That's not an unreasonable thing to expect.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In a previous thread you mention something about thinking you could be the youngest Viper driver in your area....maybe others, so you are what ....20 years old ?

You also stated that you want the new ZR1 to come out before you decide what to buy, then that you are in fact 1-2 years away from purchase

If I was a dealer, based on the above, I wouldn't let you test drive a Viper either......

Showing up in a Shelby doesn't say anything at all about your ability to drive a performance vehicle like a Viper...two totally different animals

Matt

Reaction score
OK just for fun, if you look in some of the other threads "most" buyers appear to want zero miles over the delivery miles if they are buying a $100k + Viper. Are you saying that you would be fine if the one you want has say 30-50 miles on it because the dealer was nice enough to let people test drive it, or would you then want one with 4 miles on it for your purchase? If a dealer has one of the demo cars then by all means I could see the test drives for actual potential buyers, but if they don't have one would you purchase it anyway with additional miles???

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought both of my Vipers sight unseen, without a test drive. No regrets, which is I why I bought the second one. If you are a serious Viper fan, you'll probably still want one even without a drive. It isn't like there are any comparable options to cross-shop in the same price range, with the same offerings. Some dealers have the test drive cars, some do not. I can understand why they wouldn't want to put any miles on an inventory (non-test) car, because most Viper buyers are picky and want no miles on the car.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely not a Gen IV hater...in fact I went to check it out because I loved the way it looked and wanted to buy it. Love the ACR too!

Buying Gen V unseen and undriven & based upon what I've read and heard. Hoping that since the pedals are adjustable more folks will fit in it.

PilotaX

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK just for fun, if you look in some of the other threads "most" buyers appear to want zero miles over the delivery miles if they are buying a $100k + Viper. Are you saying that you would be fine if the one you want has say 30-50 miles on it because the dealer was nice enough to let people test drive it, or would you then want one with 4 miles on it for your purchase? If a dealer has one of the demo cars then by all means I could see the test drives for actual potential buyers, but if they don't have one would you purchase it anyway with additional miles???

Playing Devils Advocate, it sounds like you are saying people that drive the car will decide not to buy it. If you screen buyers and gauge their interest and ability to pay, wouldn't you think they would buy them before the cars have too many additional miles?

Even if you think that's still a potential problem, why not plan to have a car people can drive and sacrifice a little margin on that one car so you can sell more cars overall after people drive it and decide they want one because it drives so well?

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most dealers arent getting a dozen allocations like them. Instead one or two and they bought into SRT to sell grand cherokee's, challengers, 300's etc in volume for profit. The flagship car in a single allocation sits in the showroom not to be breathed on. I get it. But if the demo is available it should be driven.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People that are seriously wanting to buy a $100K+ toy should have no problem booking a plane ticket to a dealership that has a test car, if they want to drive one that badly. There should be about 50 of them out there.