Is this true or not about the new viper?

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a previous thread you mention something about thinking you could be the youngest Viper driver in your area....maybe others, so you are what ....20 years old ?

You also stated that you want the new ZR1 to come out before you decide what to buy, then that you are in fact 1-2 years away from purchase

If I was a dealer, based on the above, I wouldn't let you test drive a Viper either......

Showing up in a Shelby doesn't say anything at all about your ability to drive a performance vehicle like a Viper...two totally different animals

Matt

Lol no not 20. But mid 20s. 2nd if I ordered a viper today I probably wouldn't get it for another year anyways. There is a 6 month delay and on top of that it takes 6 months to build the car from what the dealer told me. 3rd the shelby is completely unrefined and has more hp than the viper so what are you talking about? This new viper is completely refined and new and with those wide tires I 100% bet it is way easier to drive than the shelby. Maybe if you were talking about the old vipers I would agree with you which is why I never was interested in vipers till now.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People that are seriously wanting to buy a $100K+ toy should have no problem booking a plane ticket to a dealership that has a test car, if they want to drive one that badly. There should be about 50 of them out there.

Point me in the direction of one of these 50 test cars and I'll go. Though most people wouldn't want to do that because you have to think of the true cost of that plane ticket. That ticket may cost 400 bucks but the cost of not working for a whole day could be hundreds or thousands of dollars at the income range of people who can afford this car.

So in reality that trip would cost me like 2k just financially not to mention the headache of having to do that in the first place.

Hemotoxic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 dealer visits so far to dealers with cars and not only would they not let me sit in the cars they didn't want me touching. In all fairness 3 of the 4 were already sold.
Try to look very old and wealthy. Or look pitifully eager and hold out your phone and say "will you take a picture of me in that one you haven't sold yet?"

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/...151502624879332_1643156442_o1_zps83fd2653.jpg

Show them a shoulder if you need to.

I can see how dealers would be skittish about test drives in supercars unless they've run your credit and qualified you to leave with it that day. I'd guess it's partly to satisfy those customers who throw a fit if their future garage queen has more than two miles on the odo, but mostly because not everybody has sufficient respect for 640hp/600tq. My ridiculous old Chevy hatchback weighs the same as a Viper and only has 430/424 and that's plenty to get yourself into way more trouble than the electro-nannies can get you out of in time.

When I was looking at a 2012 Z06/07 still for sale last month, even though it had over 200 demo miles on it and I have 53,000 miles on Vettes, they were glad to let me sit in it and run the engine, but wouldn't allow a test drive before a credit check, given the $101k sticker, even though it's marked down to $87k. When shopping for high-performance sports cars, let alone supercars, you can't let your feelings get hurt so easily.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I opted to fly to Detroit to pick up my 13, then drive it home 1450 miles. In the rain for the first half.

And, I still had to pay the MSRP $2000 destination fee, $640 for a 1-way plane ticket, 3 nights of hotels, a lot of gas, and 2 days off work.

You'll get no sympathy from me ;) hehe

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There is something to be said about driving one before you buy it though. I bought my 04 used but realized a plane ticket home if it didn't look good was cheaper than buying a car to drive home. In the long run I paid maybe another $500 between and inspection and plane tickets (bought one for my brother to help drive it back). I'd think the cars might be spead out enough that you could maybe just drive to one (though it might be a bit of a trip).

Reaction score
Playing Devils Advocate, it sounds like you are saying people that drive the car will decide not to buy it. If you screen buyers and gauge their interest and ability to pay, wouldn't you think they would buy them before the cars have too many additional miles?

Even if you think that's still a potential problem, why not plan to have a car people can drive and sacrifice a little margin on that one car so you can sell more cars overall after people drive it and decide they want one because it drives so well?

I actually think that anyone "with the means to purchase" A Gen5 would buy one after just sitting it, let alone if they drove it ;-)

I could see in a largely populated area how lot's of potential buyers could rack up miles on doing demo drives. I would also say that if you were looking to buy wouldn't you want to drive the car you were likely to buy rather then one specific demo if even available? I could also see that the miles accumulated could be a deterrent to future buyers based on the responses here in other threads. I'm just trying to point out that even though test drives are an awesome selling tool, that same tool can cost the seller down the line, so which is the best way to go if a demo car is not an option?

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think that anyone "with the means to purchase" A Gen5 would buy one after just sitting it, let alone if they drove it ;-)

I could see in a largely populated area how lot's of potential buyers could rack up miles on doing demo drives. I would also say that if you were looking to buy wouldn't you want to drive the car you were likely to buy rather then one specific demo if even available? I could also see that the miles accumulated could be a deterrent to future buyers based on the responses here in other threads. I'm just trying to point out that even though test drives are an awesome selling tool, that same tool can cost the seller down the line, so which is the best way to go if a demo car is not an option?

I understand and agree with all of this. But the dealer is ******** in the case of me and I explained to them. I only wanted to go for 2 miles to see how it felt and I didn't even have to be the one driving. If they do that and if they do some off MSRP instead of selling that viper that the MSRP was like 130k they could be selling me my viper with an MSRP of 145k and in the end they make more money. But if they don't deal with me they miss out. My circumstance is very unique and they could have just entertained my offer and not lied to me saying SRT says they can't do it and they could have sold a better car. But they honestly think that 2 miles is going to deter anyone from buying it? Seriously??? How much unseen damage could you do in 2 miles? Maybe if it was someone who never drove stick before I could understand but come on.

But yea just looking at the viper and sitting in it I was 95% sold. Driving it gets the other 5%. But something I noticed the leather is definitely not the same maker as bentley or ferrari. I went to a local bentley rolls dealership today and they happened to have a ferrari too and the leather in both the bentley and ferrari were way softer and plush than the viper leather. But don't get me wrong the viper was close to the quality more so than any other car I have sat in. But if it came from bentley maybe they give them the leather they throw in the trash lol.

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your 2 miles + the next guy's 2 miles + the next guy's 2 miles etc....

If they allowed test drives, and people knew it, there would be a line of people around the block wanting to do so.

How about you make the deal on the car you want, and say that a 2 mile test drive is required before the final paperwork is signed? That would illustrate how serious of a buyer you are.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But something I noticed the leather is definitely not the same maker as bentley or ferrari. I went to a local bentley rolls dealership today and they happened to have a ferrari too and the leather in both the bentley and ferrari were way softer and plush than the viper leather. But don't get me wrong the viper was close to the quality more so than any other car I have sat in. But if it came from bentley maybe they give them the leather they throw in the trash lol.

It's all just dead cow anyway:D Honestly... leather is BS with today's technology.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah it takes four dead cows for one single Bentley interior....but that's a luxury piece. I wouldn't expect luxury in a street legal race car; I'll settle for moderately comfortable.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol no not 20. But mid 20s. 2nd if I ordered a viper today I probably wouldn't get it for another year anyways. There is a 6 month delay and on top of that it takes 6 months to build the car from what the dealer told me. 3rd the shelby is completely unrefined and has more hp than the viper so what are you talking about? This new viper is completely refined and new and with those wide tires I 100% bet it is way easier to drive than the shelby. Maybe if you were talking about the old vipers I would agree with you which is why I never was interested in vipers till now.

I am just basing my feedback on what you have said. At mid 20's you wont be considered all the young owning a Viper based on the somewhat ridiculous threads about "youngest owners' that have surfaced over the years

You did mention that you wanted to wait for the new ZR1 to be available before you made up your mind. Now you are talking about ordering one today.......

Sorry....your Shelby just based on the HP still wont be anything like the Viper. Not saying that the Shelby cant get you into trouble, but its not the same. I have a 1 off Steeda Mustang that will run circles around most other Mustangs available and compared to my Viper........well, there just isn't any comparison. Having said that, I have a Gen3 Paxton but I really can imagine that the Gen5 is going to be considered 'forgiving'.

No trying to give you a hard time. You are just starting to look. Gathering info is a good thing before laying down 100K plus. There are a few cars out there the choose from but the Viper experience is unique. I think thats one of the reason you have so many passionate people on this forum.

Matt

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Your 2 miles + the next guy's 2 miles + the next guy's 2 miles etc....

If they allowed test drives, and people knew it, there would be a line of people around the block wanting to do so.

How about you make the deal on the car you want, and say that a 2 mile test drive is required before the final paperwork is signed? That would illustrate how serious of a buyer you are.

Really this seems like the most logical solution for all parties. It shows you really are interested and capable of actually buying the car. Kind of like a lemon law, you more or less "buy" it, but can take it back if there's something just too wrong with it.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah it takes four dead cows for one single Bentley interior....but that's a luxury piece. I wouldn't expect luxury in a street legal race car; I'll settle for moderately comfortable.

Hey Ferrari has both. This interior was suppose to come straight from Ferrari

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it does-- google "Sabelt" They are the seats used in Ferrari's. I believe the Laguna special interior ran me an extra $7500-ish.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am just basing my feedback on what you have said. At mid 20's you wont be considered all the young owning a Viper based on the somewhat ridiculous threads about "youngest owners' that have surfaced over the years

You did mention that you wanted to wait for the new ZR1 to be available before you made up your mind. Now you are talking about ordering one today.......

Sorry....your Shelby just based on the HP still wont be anything like the Viper. Not saying that the Shelby cant get you into trouble, but its not the same. I have a 1 off Steeda Mustang that will run circles around most other Mustangs available and compared to my Viper........well, there just isn't any comparison. Having said that, I have a Gen3 Paxton but I really can imagine that the Gen5 is going to be considered 'forgiving'.

No trying to give you a hard time. You are just starting to look. Gathering info is a good thing before laying down 100K plus. There are a few cars out there the choose from but the Viper experience is unique. I think thats one of the reason you have so many passionate people on this forum.

Matt

I was using today as an example to show that it doesn't matter if I order today or a year from now because it takes a while to get the car. But I think new viper would surprise u if ur basing the experience off the older generation with even more hp. This new viper handles better and is more refined than the shelby that by definition makes it easier to drive. But hey by the time I am ready to order I will be 26 if someone else is younger hey wat can you do? Lol. All the owners regardless are living the dream. This is another reason the viper appeals to me more than the Vette it is more exclusive.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it does-- google "Sabelt" They are the seats used in Ferrari's. I believe the Laguna special interior ran me an extra $7500-ish.

I know the seats r that's fine. I am saying the quality of the leather was suppose to be the same as Ferrari/ Bentley because they all get it from the same place but its not. But it is very close. It is still 100000000x better than nappa or any other bs in a car that is 180k or less. That includes Porsche

VRYALT3R3D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not have ordered a 2014 GT500 without a test drive.
I was offered test drives on brand new ZR1s, Z06s, ect....

Driving it,and sitting in it are two different things. If I can't test drive it, I would not purchase it.

Not allowing a test drive to a serious customer seems like a deterrent to me...

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I daily drove a Bentley up until a few weeks ago. Its cool but subtle and when every tom dick and harry around you mods a chrysler 300 to look like it, it gets really old really fast. I've seen and felt the leather on the gen V and I dont think its too far off. I believe its swedish leather?

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Potential Gen V buyers fall into probably a few distinct profiles, and may have different requirements when purchasing a car. Take mine as an example:

Upper-mid and high-end car buyer, lifetime high performance sport car buyer and enthusiast, 10+ yrs advanced level run group with PCA, BMW, and various other track day organisations.

Interested in purchasing a Viper only now because of the extensive upgrades for the Gen V that make it a good consideration for my track/pleasure/dinner out/road trip cruise in relative comfort with the wife needs. I've admired and respected the Viper for the 10+ years I've diced it up with them on the track, but I've never driven one, or even sat in one until recently (a '10 ACR). Had I wanted a dedicated track car I would quite possibly already own a Gen IV ACR, but until now has not had the level of fit, finish, and features we look for.

I have three sports cars that I use on the road and track now, and each one fits me like a glove. I can adjust the seat and wheel for good driving position while wearing a helmet and outward vision. The pedals are good for heel and toe. They're quick, reliable...and most of they're all fun and enjoyable to drive on the track, and on the street.

I have the exact same "got to have one" feeling about the Gen V that I have had with all the others. I can afford to purchase a new one. I have yet to determine if it will fit me like a glove, or close enough to it, and whether it will be as fun to drive as the ones I already have. Will I find the cockpit is just too tight, or the seat just too hard, or not supportive enough for my minor lower back issues, or can't get the driving position adequate, or find the pedals aren't placed well enough for heel and toe, or use of the dead pedal, and will I find the windshield header too low and general outward vision too compromised, or the trunk too small for basic weekend away needs, or the drone of the exhaust drives me crazy, or the dealer mis-handles me so badly... I suspect these needs could be met with many or most modern high performance cars, but they have all been concerns raised by reviewers and owners of the Gen V, not me.

Unfortunately, the findings of those of you who have bought previous or current Vipers, sight-unseen or after a thorough testing, can't answer these concerns...I'll need to determine them for myself. Some can be crossed off the list just by sitting in the car, others only by driving it. If I won't be able to drive one I don't see the point in sitting in one. In time I hope a dealer will offer both, but if they don't then they aren't concerned enough about me being satisfied when becoming a new owner, and will be even less concerned about me when it comes time to service it. I'm glad it's worked out for some to buy it on a hope and a prayer, but I suspect just as many may have resulted in disappointment and selling it.

Dealerships will decide for themselves how they want to sell the vehicles, and either enjoy or suffer from that decision, but I can't imagine that upscale car buyers will buy it without a test drive, and a survey of my friends said they would not. In the end I don't think I care what they do as the car I lust after will be the one I see and drive and can't live without...and it's engine will still be hot when I sign the purchase agreement. My chances of it being a Viper may be better if SRT or dealers recognize their functions as Sales Professionals instead of simply Order Takers.

Bruce

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The dealership owns the cars. They certainly can let you test drive if they want. However, with that being said, I understand not letting just anyone test drive the car. I think if they felt you were a serious buyer then the test drive wouldnt be a problem. I didnt test drive mine. One buying that type of car knows how it drives. What would there have been in a test drive that would have made you not want to buy it? Seriously, go to any dealership selling 100k plus cars and you will find they are not keen about test drives unless you can assure them you are a serious buyer. I wouldnt like buying one with some miles on it knowing they were from joy rides or from people just wanting to see how it drives. But yes, they can let you test drive.

commandomatt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I think new viper would surprise u if ur basing the experience off the older generation with even more hp. This new viper handles better and is more refined than the shelby that by definition makes it easier to drive. .

You really have no idea what you are talking about......'it handles better and is more refined and that makes it easier to drive than a Mustang' ????

You are forgetting to consider steering, brakes, clutch operation, pedal spacing, seating position, gear box operation, visibility and much more. All those things that actually determine how easy a car is to drive.

I think your best bet, if you cant get a dealer to offer you a test ride, is to locate some one that owns a Gen 4 Viper and go for a spin as a passenger. This way you will have a better idea of what a Viper will do and feel like. Sure the Gen V is a different car in some respects, but it also has a lot of similar features.

Stop trying to compare it to your Mustang. I guarantee that it will be a completely different experience. You may not even like it as its not for everyone.

Matt

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealership owns the cars. They certainly can let you test drive if they want. However, with that being said, I understand not letting just anyone test drive the car. I think if they felt you were a serious buyer then the test drive wouldnt be a problem. I didnt test drive mine. One buying that type of car knows how it drives. What would there have been in a test drive that would have made you not want to buy it? Seriously, go to any dealership selling 100k plus cars and you will find they are not keen about test drives unless you can assure them you are a serious buyer. I wouldnt like buying one with some miles on it knowing they were from joy rides or from people just wanting to see how it drives. But yes, they can let you test drive.

Disagree. Looking at Porsches I drove a $130k C4S without even giving my DL over

Nissan wouldn't let me test the GT-R
Audi wouldn't let me test the RS5
Chevy wouldn't let me test the Z06 (used!!)

Clearly Porsche gets it, other lower end brands do not, including Dodge. They think $100k is some magical price point. Fact is, if really isn't much anymore.

Hemotoxic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya--you're not biased. Not at all. =o)

But you could be right. I was thoroughly impressed with a couple minutes' sit-down in a GTS. The seat fit just right and the interior was everything I could ask for, and it didn't even have the Laguna package. If I could swing the deal--which would mean tripling my payment and doubling my fuel bill, out of the question at the moment--I would need to at least start and run the engine and try the sound system, but refusing a test drive would not be an absolute deal-breaker. On a Gen IV it would have been, because I've heard of a few people buying those before trying, and found them unlivable in the real world. But I'm confident that the Gen V is squared away as is.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree. Looking at Porsches I drove a $130k C4S without even giving my DL over

Nissan wouldn't let me test the GT-R
Audi wouldn't let me test the RS5
Chevy wouldn't let me test the Z06 (used!!)

Clearly Porsche gets it, other lower end brands do not, including Dodge. They think $100k is some magical price point. Fact is, if really isn't much anymore.

The cheapest Porsche on the lot is what, $65K? Customers visiting a Porsche dealership likely have a higher income range than the typical Dodge dealership walk-on. Porsche doesn't have the Avenger, Ram pickup, Caravan, and Dart customers coming in, hoping for a free trial of a Viper that they likely can't afford. So, Porsche in itself sort of pre-screens the customers that arrive on the lot, shopping for an expensive car in the first place. Also, those Porsche dealerships do not have concerns with allotment of vehicles, since the expensive ones are all they carry, and the only thing they carry. They likely have a few of each in stock, other than the ultra high-end models. 911's are pretty common. If they are going to throw me the keys, I'll drive them. If I wanted one, however, I'd be okay buying one without driving it. These are passion purchases, not necessities. There aren't 3 other companies that build a similar 911, nor are there any other Vipers. If you want one, you want one. If you find you dislike it later on, simply sell it.

Am I right?

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The cheapest Porsche on the lot is what, $65K? Customers visiting a Porsche dealership likely have a higher income range than the typical Dodge dealership walk-on. Porsche doesn't have the Avenger, Ram pickup, Caravan, and Dart customers coming in, hoping for a free trial of a Viper that they likely can't afford. So, Porsche in itself sort of pre-screens the customers that arrive on the lot, shopping for an expensive car in the first place. Also, those Porsche dealerships do not have concerns with allotment of vehicles, since the expensive ones are all they carry, and the only thing they carry. They likely have a few of each in stock, other than the ultra high-end models. 911's are pretty common. If they are going to throw me the keys, I'll drive them. If I wanted one, however, I'd be okay buying one without driving it. These are passion purchases, not necessities. There aren't 3 other companies that build a similar 911, nor are there any other Vipers. If you want one, you want one. If you find you dislike it later on, simply sell it.

Am I right?

Best post in this entire thread. I must say, I currently own a 2003 Viper, 2013 Dart, and 2007 SRT8 Charger Superbee. The Bee and the Dart I purchased new from dealers. The American car dealer experience is what is is. Accept it, and move on.

KB Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Am I right?

You are correct.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't imagine that upscale car buyers will buy it without a test drive, and a survey of my friends said they would not.

I can't imagine how you can't imagine that upscale car buyers would buy the Gen V Viper without test driving it. There is post after post on this forum from "supposedly" upscale car buyers that have purchased the Gen V Viper without test driving it. Maybe they do not fit your definition? I must not understand who you are defining as an upscale car buyer. Perhaps a person that has no specific interest in a Viper, but, just wants a car to look good in and show off at the country club? If so, why would they care how it drives? If you are talking about serious car enthusiasts, you are talking about the type of people that have been posting here that they bought it.

Just busting your chops a little in a light hearted way. I bought my Gen 2 without driving one first. I feel that I am a ********* enthusiast. I did not care if it fit like a glove. I bought it because I like experiencing speed and performance in different ways. I understand that there are guys who only want to "be with" one specific type of woman. There are others that want to "experience" different types of performance, as long as it is not a forever deal and doesn't result in a permanent loss in assets.

Some dealers probably think that there are enough buyers like me, to justify their strategy. Their business plan makes perfect sense to me. They are NOT looking for Viper buyers who need a test drive. So be it. So what.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I daily drove a Bentley up until a few weeks ago. Its cool but subtle and when every tom dick and harry around you mods a chrysler 300 to look like it, it gets really old really fast. I've seen and felt the leather on the gen V and I dont think its too far off. I believe its swedish leather?

Yes it is swedish leather. But then I don't know why they say it came straight from ferrari or bentley. I don't know what leather bentley uses but ferrari uses shecldoni.

OP
OP
S

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really have no idea what you are talking about......'it handles better and is more refined and that makes it easier to drive than a Mustang' ????

You are forgetting to consider steering, brakes, clutch operation, pedal spacing, seating position, gear box operation, visibility and much more. All those things that actually determine how easy a car is to drive.

I think your best bet, if you cant get a dealer to offer you a test ride, is to locate some one that owns a Gen 4 Viper and go for a spin as a passenger. This way you will have a better idea of what a Viper will do and feel like. Sure the Gen V is a different car in some respects, but it also has a lot of similar features.

Stop trying to compare it to your Mustang. I guarantee that it will be a completely different experience. You may not even like it as its not for everyone.

Matt

Have you driven in the new ones? Why would I drive an old one that is a brute and compare it to the more refined new ones? I don't have to drive the new one to realize its refinement. You just have to look at the specs. The entire thing is redesigned. That is like saying go drive in a c6 vette and then go drive in a c7 and they are similar. I've been in both and they are WORLDS APART. The viper is the same way. I'm only comparing it to the mustang and that if it is not easier and better to drive at twice the price then the car is a complete and total piece of sh**. The clutch is softer, the pedal spacing is adjustable, the seating position is adjustable, the gear box is smoother, the brakes are better, the steering is more predictable, THE ONLY thing I think may deter me from buying it is the windshield visibility as that *****. But everyone else seems to find a way to drive it so it could be something that just takes getting use to or i'd have to drive it actually to find out. But other than that its better than my car and the previous vipers in every possible way. There is no category in which it falls short compared to both cars.

If this means I don't know what i'm talking about then I guess I should say damn even ferrari at 250k could still **** ass and the ferraris from 20 years ago are the same. It doesn't make sense to me when the specs are all better and the body is redesigned to go and drive the old raw version to get an idea of the new ones. If you said go drive a 2011 gt500 to get an idea of a 2013 gt500 I would agree with you on that. But what you are saying is like go drive a 2007 gt500 to get an idea of a 2013 gt500 which makes no sense to me at all they are completely different cars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi