Just found out I have....

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a rear main seal leak. It is so bad that my clutch barely works (covered with oil). I can put my emergency brake on, let out my clutch in first gear, and the car wont move or stall! It just keeps running in gear and not moving.

So, my question is does anyone have any idea of the repair cost for something like this? Also, has anyone else had this problem with only 12000 miles on their car? Thanks in advance.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think the fact you have to replace the clutch would be your biggest cost(about $250 if you do it yourself, $600 for a repair shop). Once the trans and clutch pack is off, the rear seal should be easy, and you can do an oil change in the process of dropping the oil pan :2tu:

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
See your other post. I think you may be able to change the rear seal without dropping the oil pan. (can't remember), If you are a DIY'er this really is not that bad of a repair.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My rear seal went out in my 97 GTS at 25k, went ahead and changed the clutch and had a lighter fly wheel installed, (remember old fly wheels can not be turned). I also had the oil pan seal replaced...my cost was $2,500.00 but I little more done while they had the tranny out, typically my local dealership charges $100.00 an hour to work on a Viper, you can call your work into your dealership and get a close repair cost...

Get her done, spring is around the corner and you dont want to get left out of the fun you know....

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hemibeep:

You do have to drop the back of the pan, otherwise you cannot seat the new rear seal. The rear seal assembly has to seat on the pan and if the pan is not lowered you can get the assembly mounted.

OP
OP
R

red98RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your advice. I already bought a new stage 3 clutch and an aluminum flywheel, but I was nervous about changing the main seal. I may go ahead and give it a try....after all it's not brain surgery, right? :2tu:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
awe..just do it....you will be happy you did and make your more confident in tackling other jobs on the car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo