Just hit 250 again!

heatandair

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2001 GTS w/ 3.55’s and side pipes. Tonight I was fooling around for less then 10 minutes and hit 250 degrees on the gauges. This is the second time this has happened. The first time I was cruising at highway speeds. I have herd of bad water pumps in the cream puffs but how do you get dodge to fix something that doesn’t always happen? Also have I done any damage to the car at those high temps? I never ran the car more than five minutes each time at those temps. I have less than 5,000 miles on the car. Any advice?

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
considering the thermostat is 210 I believe?, that is pretty warm, I don't think motor damage has occured.

Keep in mind the absolute boil temp is raised beyond 212 under pressure (formula not handy). guessing 3 degrees for every pound, either way that's up there.

Hopefully someone will chime in with more solid advice but I just came in from a cruise in 90 degree weather, and I avoid the AC in the car, when I run it with the air the temp near redlines, not good. Have a wedding to go to in a week as well, and hoping to take the Viper, we'll see......

I did add 2 bottles of water wetter and ran a 70/30 mix on the juice (antifreeze is half as efficient as water for heat dissipation). Consider dropping the freeze % for the summer perhaps?

best of luck,

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
be careful adding too much water because I believe the antifreeze also raises the boiling point so you don't boil over in the summer. So if you go too much water you might be boiling away your coolant. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heatandair,
First off it's not a creampuff!!
Tell your Tech to pull the pump! Yes it's that simple! If he/she dose not take your word, tell them to call me, and I'll explain it to-em! Get rid of the water/weter!

Ryan it's a 195deg.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck you are the ****>
smile.gif

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bad water pump impeller is spacific to the 2001 model year. I personally know 2 '01 owners who had this problem, Ben Treynor was one of them and it really screwed up his motor, DEMAND TO HAVE IT CHECKED, it is a known problem and there may be a TSB on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine