Just how bad is it out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the NJ winter coming shortly and no true weather tight place to store my 08 (i live in a high rise secure roof garage but open air on the sides)rather than ask a favor(storage )from one of my friends i figured i would try to move the car at a great price.(In the spring of 09 i would like to pick up a coupe).My 08 Venom Red Roadster(1200 miles ) has been listed in the VCA classifids for over a week and not one call.The car is listed at 72800 which is over 8 grand under invoice minus dealer holdback.Either i am impatient or the market truely *****.With 06s going in the low to mid 50s i assumed low 70s on an 08 would move the car quickly.

mercury51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have been in the exotic sports car market for over 40 years.in all that time i have NEVER seen the market so bad.good luck with the sale.

Bill

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yea , i've seen 08 gallardo spyders advertised for less than 200k, 50k off sticker

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Place your car on consignment with a dealer that doesn't charge storage fees! Then pick it up in the spring (if it doesn't sell) and enjoy!

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is my price too high or am i just being impatient.(Sticker was approx 90 true dealer cost -invoice minus holdback=80)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
You must really want a coupe if you're willing to take that big a beating when there are plenty of storage places available. Did you check with your dealer to see what they would give you on a trade towards the purchase of that '09 coupe?

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the car at a great price(not losing that much )since the car has alot of equity in it its not worth tying up the money (plus insurance ect )for a toy that i will not use untill late March 09(The above statement predicated upon getting somewhere in the low 70s for the car)

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're also listing at a bad time... going into winter people don't want to buy a car like that. Have you tried ebay so you can list the car nationaly? You should have better luck with people in the warmer states...

- Anthony

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one of the other problem you might have is a lot of venom red for sale right now on dealers lots. They are discounting them to move also.

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
one of the other problem you might have is a lot of venom red for sale right now on dealers lots. They are discounting them to move also.
I know but bottom line is iam almost 8 grand cheaper than dead cost and not one call with even an offer.

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is a decent price. I do have to say though there are a lot of venom red vipers out there for sale that seem to be getting discounted. I was looking at them and that color seems for whatever reason to demand the least price. I still think your price is a great price though.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you absolutely need some storage space - Bring your car Cover, we'll put her in my secured warehouse. We can work the details out later....

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People are worried about money and the economy even though they may be personally unaffected by it for the most part. Nobody is spending 70K on a toy now.

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased an 08 vert a couple of weeks ago. Needed to get the tax advantage of trading in my '04 plus needed the financing at new car rates. Also got a great deal on the car. Others might have the same considerations.

Unfortunately, there were 6 Venom Red cars at the 2 dealers I talked to in Northern NJ. Cars are great looking, especially with stripes, but seem to be out there in some numbers.

Have you thought about adding one of the cool looking hardtops to your current car? Could be a great winter project to get you through the cold times between now and Spring.

Good luck with your decision and plan going forward!

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunatelt, the media(paper & tv) love to paint a grim picture of the economy, and world in general. You have your car at a great price. Truth is there are still many '08's on dealer lots. A local dealer here has NINE and they are all premium colors and packages. Just be patient.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me get this straight, you say you are not loosing much, but it is a great price? Why would someone buy a used car at nearly the same price you paid for it new? :nono:

Drop it to $8k below what you paid (i.e. what others would really pay for a new one) and you might have a shot.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can store it in my garage for free. You keep the keys and I will just admire it until next spring for you. Good luck with what ever you decide.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so.. you just sold your 06' and posted about how you had to give it away, now your trying to give your 2008 away.. Then, next spring buy a 2009, and give THAT away in October?? Is that the plan??

Not trying to smart here, but why not just keep the 08'?? There is a climate control storage place right in south Jersey for about $100/month... Just keep it there until spring, problem solved..

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me get this straight, you say you are not loosing much, but it is a great price? Why would someone buy a used car at nearly the same price you paid for it new? :nono:

Drop it to $8k below what you paid (i.e. what others would really pay for a new one) and you might have a shot.

Everyones defination of not losing alot is different in this case the car is available for close to 8000.00 dollars less than TRUE dealer cost which is invoice minus holdback=80000.00No dealer i have heard of(not yet at least is selling NEW 08 below true dealer cost .Not Yet.

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so.. you just sold your 06' and posted about how you had to give it away, now your trying to give your 2008 away.. Then, next spring buy a 2009, and give THAT away in October?? Is that the plan??

Not trying to smart here, but why not just keep the 08'?? There is a climate control storage place right in south Jersey for about $100/month... Just keep it there until spring, problem solved..
In accordinance with the topic of this thread if iam giving my 08 away why is no one calling to even place an offer ? As far as the feasability of keeping it over the winter as i replied earlyier the car has alot of equity in it that could be used in other places right now other than a toy which has to be stored ,insured and will not be used untill spring

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyones defination of not losing alot is different in this case the car is available for close to 8000.00 dollars less than TRUE dealer cost which is invoice minus holdback=80000.00No dealer i have heard of(not yet at least is selling NEW 08 below true dealer cost .Not Yet.

If you want to sell it, price it $8k below what you paid and you might have shot. How can you possibly expect someone to pay nearly what you paid? :dunno: In your methodology you may as well advertise it as $25k below MSRP and see if you find a sucker. Problem is that there are far fewer suckers out there with money now than even a few months ago.

You will probably need to sell it for close to $15k below what you paid in this economy.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
wonder if my pops would put it in his garage or my grandmother has a 3 car with one car in it! bergen county!!!

actually if you are going to get rid of it, why not just drive it in the winter, for all you know you it wont snow til january, which means no roads salts. i say drive it, heat shouldnt be a problem. why take a hit when you can drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to sell it, price it $8k below what you paid and you might have shot. How can you possibly expect someone to pay nearly what you paid? :dunno: In your methodology you may as well advertise it as $25k below MSRP and see if you find a sucker. Problem is that there are far fewer suckers out there with money now than even a few months ago.

You will probably need to sell it for close to $15k below what you paid in this economy.

What if i paid 60 for the car in accordinance with your thinking a used 08 should then bring 52.What if i paid 90 for the car in accordinance with your thinking i should get 82 .Its totally irrevelant what i paid that was then this is now.What your basically saying is that anyone trying to get low 70s for an 08 with 1000 or so miles is trying to make a SUCKER out of a prospective buyer.

OP
OP

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS what I PAID PLUS OR MINUS has absolutely NOTHING to do with the actual worth of the car .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21