Just Totaled My Viper

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first thing I tough my kids when they stared driving was, " HIT THE DARN DEER!!!!" Never avoid any animal. Here in Michigan, Insurance covers everything, including deductible, if you hit an animal. Impact is a whole lot less than a tree, rock building, pole, etc. Thank God, none of then had to put it to the test yet.
Thank God that wanted survived, cars can be replaced, people can't.
I hope that things will work out.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The first thing I tough my kids when they stared driving was, " HIT THE DARN DEER!!!!" Never avoid any animal. .

I have lost an uncle and a friend to antlered animal impacts.

My uncle died in his Ford SW after he hit a deer, then a tree. He was coming back from -you guessed it- Deer Hunting in WI. He was a Nat Geo photographer, specialty: Birds of Prey. His Osprey layout is still definitive.

I inherited his Pentax SLR and his 44 mag deer rifle. I was better with the rifle than I was with his camera.....His rifle improved his Man vs Deer score.

-----------------------

In Alaska, a dog musher friend hit a small yearling moose, which came thru the windshield of his Toyota pickup, and killed him instantly. The same could happen with a deer.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first thing I tough my kids when they stared driving was, " HIT THE DARN DEER!!!!" Never avoid any animal. Here in Michigan, Insurance covers everything, including deductible, if you hit an animal. Impact is a whole lot less than a tree, rock building, pole, etc. Thank God, none of then had to put it to the test yet.
Thank God that wanted survived, cars can be replaced, people can't.
I hope that things will work out.

I have lost an uncle and a friend to antlered animal impacts.

My uncle died in his Ford SW after he hit a deer, then a tree. He was coming back from -you guessed it- Deer Hunting in WI. He was a Nat Geo photographer, specialty: Birds of Prey. His Osprey layout is still definitive.

I inherited his Pentax SLR and his 44 mag deer rifle. I was better with the rifle than I was with his camera.....His rifle improved his Man vs Deer score.

-----------------------

In Alaska, a dog musher friend hit a small yearling moose, which came thru the windshield of his Toyota pickup, and killed him instantly. The same could happen with a deer.

I wouldn't recommend hitting a deer, unless you want to be decapitated.

this was posted some time ago:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyxqTYlW1FM[/media]

:dunno: do you think the viper v deer & truck/sedan v deer would have diff results? i think the viper v deer would be more like this vid :dunno:

:eater: :eater: :eater:

edit some other vids:

YouTube - Motorcycle hits a deer
YouTube - Car hits a Cow
YouTube - Rally car VS Deer
YouTube - Deer hit by cop doing 90-95 mph!

(will remove if in bad taste)

Last edited:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's your point, eucharistos? You found five videos of a collision with large four-legged animals and they all kept driving, even the motorcyclist?

If I wanted to spend the time searching the internet I think I could find five videos of collapsed hoods and caved in windshields & headless humans. I drove up on one example in South Dakota in the 70's but I didn't have my video camera with me.

Bob

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with GRNBGONE on this and that is what is taught by the state in commercials. The state tag line is don't veer for deer. Many more dangerous accidents result from the avoidance than impacts. Not that either are without injury/death. It just improves your odds to avoid running off the road, rolling or into trees or oncoming traffic.

My small suburb leads Michigan in car deer accidents and without question braking is the best policy. Came close many times. Even in my own driveway! Just a few months ago I was backing up and my rear avoidance sensors went off (those parking things). I was not paying any attention but stopped anyway. Guess what a group of deer just standing in my drive and I had come within a few feet of them.

Rochester Hills leads area in deer-related accidents - The Oakland Press News: The best place for news in and around Oakland County

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are lucky you were able to swerve at the last second and avoid impact to the driver door. Good to hear you're okay. But, again, these cars are very dangerous in conditions under 50 degrees (maybe 60 degrees...who knows). The tires are like ice skates. Be careful in low temps. You cannot manuever the car and because it has NO safety features like ESP (ESC, DSC, etc), when you're out of control, you're in trouble.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with GRNBGONE on this and that is what is taught by the state in commercials. The state tag line is don't veer for deer. Many more dangerous accidents result from the avoidance than impacts. Not that either are without injury/death. It just improves your odds to avoid running off the road, rolling or into trees or oncoming traffic.

My small suburb leads Michigan in car deer accidents and without question braking is the best policy. Came close many times. Even in my own driveway! Just a few months ago I was backing up and my rear avoidance sensors went off (those parking things). I was not paying any attention but stopped anyway. Guess what a group of deer just standing in my drive and I had come within a few feet of them.

Rochester Hills leads area in deer-related accidents - The Oakland Press News: The best place for news in and around Oakland County

thanks for the link GR8_ASP, this is the kind of answer i was looking for :2tu:

“When motorists were asked how to react to an impending crash, one-third of drivers answered incorrectly as to what to do,” Peet said. “The first rule is: Don’t swerve.

“Police statistics show that most motorist deaths and injuries occur when drivers swerve to avoid hitting the deer and strike an object such as a tree or another vehicle,” he continued.

“No one wants to see the deer destroyed, but striking the animal is often the safest action,” Peet said.

:dunno: this is probably counter intuitive and must be taught,

the wife of a bud of mine rolled their audi into a ditch avoiding a cat. i told my wife and kids in this situation they should think "dead cat" :omg:, good to know this applies to deer sized animals also

peace

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are lucky you were able to swerve at the last second and avoid impact to the driver door. Good to hear you're okay. But, again, these cars are very dangerous in conditions under 50 degrees (maybe 60 degrees...who knows). The tires are like ice skates. Be careful in low temps. You cannot manuever the car and because it has NO safety features like ESP (ESC, DSC, etc), when you're out of control, you're in trouble.

One man's "feature" is another man's hinderance... :cool:

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One man's "feature" is another man's hinderance... :cool:

I've always wondered...how much would a DSC/ESC/ESP system weigh? You can always turn it off...but it would be nice to have as a safety feature when you are just driving around town and hit rain or a slick spot or gravel, etc.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always wondered...how much would a DSC/ESC/ESP system weigh? You can always turn it off...but it would be nice to have as a safety feature when you are just driving around town and hit rain or a slick spot or gravel, etc.

Would also be nice to just hire an Andretti to be your personal driver while you enjoy a latte in the passenger seat :rolleyes:

Or... you can just buy a Vette. They're VERY fast... VERY nice.. and nannied to all heck that you can leave on if you decide to speed up and slalom when you hit rain or when you spot a slick spot. Most of us in Vipers just slow down in those conditions.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would also be nice to just hire an Andretti to be your personal driver while you enjoy a latte in the passenger seat :rolleyes:

Or... you can just buy a Vette. They're VERY fast... VERY nice.. and nannied to all heck that you can leave on if you decide to speed up and slalom when you hit rain or when you spot a slick spot. Most of us in Vipers just slow down in those conditions.

Ewwwww....Vette?? Just because I ask about a safety system doesn't mean I want a Vette!

I like everything about the Viper just as much as you or anyone else on the forum and I drive it very carefully. But, the point is, unexpected things do occur (deer, slick spot, etc). It would be nice to have a back up safety system so people don't get injured or die. And, maybe the car might survive too! I doubt anyone on this forum is Andretti which is why I ask: Would a system that is computer based really weight that much more?

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ewwwww....Vette?? Just because I ask about a safety system doesn't mean I want a Vette!

I like everything about the Viper just as much as you or anyone else on the forum and I drive it very carefully. But, the point is, unexpected things do occur (deer, slick spot, etc). It would be nice to have a back up safety system so people don't get injured or die. And, maybe the car might survive too! I doubt anyone on this forum is Andretti which is why I ask: Would a system that is computer based really weight that much more?
No... You don't like EVERYTHING abouta Viper. Especially the MOST important part where it's a minimalist car that relies on the driver, NOT nannycrap. Looks like all u like are the accolades that someone gets when they can master driving such a beast... Without having to actually do it.

How many times do I have to say... nannytech DOES NOT DEFY PHYSICS! If a deer jumps right in front of you while going a hair faster than 50mph, you are screwed and no nannytech in the world is going to save your @$$. If you're too dumb to slow down in the snow and hit black ice going 80 on a mountain road, a million supercomputers couldn't calculate a way to save you and your car.

Don't bash the Vette. It's a very capable car... And right up your alley. Don't fight the feeling.

Last edited:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't think most of us in Vipers ever slowed down. :drive:
So then you either run out of gas, have killed many people at intersections, or have plowed through your garage.

Anyone can be a clown... Just remember that driving a viper is a serious task.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No... You don't like EVERYTHING abouta Viper. Especially the MOST important part where it's a minimalist car that relies on the driver, NOT nannycrap. Looks like all u like are the accolades that someone gets when they can master driving such a beast... Without having to actually do it.

Don't bash the Vette. It's a very capable car... And right up your alley. Don't fight the feeling.

I'm not bashing the Vette...but if you are a true automotive enthusiast, you know that Vettes and Vipers are like Lambo and Ferrari. Styling, personality, heritage, etc are all different. I would never get a Vette or a Ferrari. Not because they are bad, but because of all the other reasons. It's a lot like music. Certain people like different styles of music, not because one is necessarily better or worse, but for intangible reasons that can be much deeper.

With your philosophy, Vipers should do away with LSD, ABS, and the airbags should be detachable to reduce weight. They would obviously have to ship them with airbags for govt standards though. They should also get rid of crumple zones and reinforcements to reduce weight. Obviously, those are ridiculous suggestions. Who cares about a couple pounds of weight when you are dead?!

Again, my point and question was simply, why not a DSC/ESP/etc for the car. I'm sure it doesn't weigh that much since it's a computer program and it can be deactivated for the minimalists!

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So then you either run out of gas, have killed many people at intersections, or have plowed through your garage.

Anyone can be a clown... Just remember that driving a viper is a serious task.

Agree...it is a serious task. It is a beast and deserves to be treated like one or serious things can happen.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have asked the SRT engineers about the weight of a DSC/ESC/ESP program when I met them at the Illinois VCA meeting in January :(

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm still wondering how much weight it might put on. Is their TC the same as DSC/ESC/ESP? Usually DSC/ESC/ESP is a step forward because it helps you steer, not just accelerate. That's the advantage of DSC/ESC/ESP.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have asked the SRT engineers about the weight of a DSC/ESC/ESP program when I met them at the Illinois VCA meeting in January :(
Essentially nothing. Just a switch and wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte