Kenne Bell 2.8H Upgrade

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK..picture limited on this forum...5 max.

Basically no huge issues with this project. Here is what I have learned:
1. Sell your used 2.4. I got $1000.00 for mine on EBAY. Mustang guys are always looking for the 2.4 since they are an upgrade to their smaller blowers...hard to get I guess.
2. New Kenne Bell 2.8H black annodized cost $2399.00. Sean can get if for a hundred or two less if out live out of state. Talk to Matt at Tech Support..WOW...what a great guy!! Can't say enough. A real American hero in my book. Personal service like no other!!!!
3. Make sure you order it with the 03/04 Cobra drive hub extension (pics provided). The basic unit comes with the flush drive (where the green spyder gear fits). The Cobra unit pushes the drive "cogs" out about an inch so our nose extention can engage. No big deal..just need the Cobra unit. Costs an additional $40.00. Once installed, the old nose drive bolts right up (pic). No issue at all and is the same end-to-end length as the older 2.4 blower.
4. Rear inlet on the 2.8 is larger than the old 2.4 (pic) . Needed to significantly modify my rear inlet so it fit the design of the 2.8 and allows the max airflow to get in (Pic). Not sure how the later Roe Racing units that have the longer rear inlets will need to be modified. I had the older unit so the length was right, but the bolt pattern and flange required modification. My Roe inlet was painted so I could mess it up as much as needed. If yours are chromed or powdercoated, modifying the inlet will require refinishing when you are done. Just letting you know. If Sean comes out with a replacement rear inlet, that solves the problem tinkering with modifying it. Good opportunity for someone to make a nice over-the-top billet one....hint.
5. Injectors. I sold my Green Tops for $100.00 and bought 10 new Siemens DEKA IV 60 lb injectors (from the same guy) for $260.00. SO 10 brand new injectors for $260.00. Deals are out there. At 55 PSI these should flow well over 70 lbs/hr. Direct drop-in swap. Again I have pics. if the Forum would let me upload them at that size.

Anyways, it started right up and now I need to do some tuning. I'm also curiuos as to the PSI it will pump out. I left on the 2.5 in pulley (10 PSI) so it will be spinning to max RPM again!! Oh well...its under warrantee and KB has never had one gernade from spinning it up to its max.
Look out Paxton guys...

Attachments

• Install_1.jpg
    Install_1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 193
  • Inlet1.jpg
    Inlet1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Drive_Spacer.jpg
    Drive_Spacer.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 2.8_Rear.jpg
    2.8_Rear.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Front_Snout.jpg
    Front_Snout.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 107

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NICE! I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I can't wait to see the hp & 1/4mi difference between the 2.8 and 2.4. You tuning this yourself? SCT?

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you use any of the other Kenne Bell goodies - like the boost-a-pump, or knock-out system? Also, i couldn't see from the photos, but it didn't look like that design has the extra injectors in the rear inlet.

On the 2.4L system I did for my JGC, those three things really made a huge difference in the performance and reliability of the system. I also had to convert my speed density system to a mass-airflow - but Kenne Bell has all the computer upgrades to make that happen.

The way mine is set up, at about 2psi of boost, the boost-a-pump kicks in and raises my fuel pressure from 50 psi to about 60 psi, then at about 7 psi of boost, the rear injectors open up. From there all the way to 10-11psi of boost it's a pretty wild ride in an old Jeep :) Unfortunately I built this system around 94 octane gas - and now all I can find is 91. So I've either got to go easy on the gas or drop a few gallons of 100 racing in the tank. Otherwise I have to rely on the "knock-out" system where I installed a knock sensor in the block and the system will pull back the timing (pretty drastically) when detonation get's 'dangerous.' I've got 120k miles on the system and it's been driven hard, and so far the engine runs good as new.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have not backed it off the lift yet...but pedaling the throttle in the garage is like "right now" spin-up. Can't really hear the blower running it in the garage. No rear injectors on these set-ups...just my W/M injection. I will tackle the fuel system next since my BAP will probably be maxed out at this point. I'll be watching my fuel pressure on my pillar pod while I'm tuning to see at what point it drops. Not sure anyone has "really" measured the limits of the stock system and with these Seimens injectors I really have no idea where I'm at regarding fuel. I have the Walbros all set to go in but want to get the basic drivability tune worked out first. So all in all an interesting little project.

Did you see the modified ROE manifold on Sean's web site? Go to his site and look at his add for replacement supercharger belts. The belt is sitting on his new manifold and you can see that he's added a centerline rib to the base of the manifold. It appears it runs the entire length. I assume its a bit lower that the top of the manifold to allow air to pass to either side. Interesting...maybe it alleviates some of the airflow harmonics. Don't know but it sure can't hurt the situation !

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool find on the manifold
this must mean Sean is serious about bringing the s/c kit back to life

so is Sean going to help you with tuning since you are going into uncharted territory?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am excited for this project. Makes me want to piston swap and go to town. Only downfall is that you didn't get your car on the dyno prior to the upgrade.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pre-Install dyno...LOL...just the twin patches of BFG KDW. If anything over the years I've learned is that I should have spent more time at the dyno. But I never envisioned taking the car to this point. I did do a baseline "before any mods" dyno log back in 2006...but as far as comparing the 2.4 to the 2.8 I guess we'll just have to wait and see what this will lay down in a month or two. Really busy with work and family...lame but true. I'll get one at some point. Inquiring minds want to know....and I'll be tuning with the VEC for now. I hope to be at the Cars & Coffee in Sanford Florida Saturday AM...

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No hood mod. Matt at KB is sending me a new dipstick for the blower since the current one sticks up pretty good (hits the hood pad). I do like being able to simply unscrew it with my fingers and check the level. Really simple. I guess they have a "limited clearance" one that will solve that issue. Not sure what it looks like but should be here in a day or two. I'll post pics of the two. Hood still closes just fine, just makes an indent in the hood pad.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No hood mod. Matt at KB is sending me a new dipstick for the blower since the current one sticks up pretty good (hits the hood pad). I do like being able to simply unscrew it with my fingers and check the level. Really simple. I guess they have a "limited clearance" one that will solve that issue. Not sure what it looks like but should be here in a day or two. I'll post pics of the two. Hood still closes just fine, just makes an indent in the hood pad.

Definitely leave the easily unscrewable dipstick in - one thing I've learned after working with Kenne Bell type superchargers over the past ten years is they leak... I've never heard of one failing on it's own when properly maintained, but I've heard of a LOT of them failing because the owner didn't check the oil regularly. It really doesn't take too long for them to go dry enough to eat up the bearings and gears.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More pics. You can see the progression of the modification to the rear inlet. For those that have had theirs off, you know its basically a rectangular flange that just bolts up. On the 2.8 you can see where I made the manifold conform to the inlet design. Otherwise the square flange obstructs a significant portion of the rotor lobes.
Also I received the low profile dip stick today from KB. Pretty slick and works just great!

I love the front shot of the blower sitting on the bench. Looks really tough...almost like some military weapon!!
Oh and here are the 10 Siemen's injectors.
Went for a quick drive on the city streets (about 4 miles R/T). The blower really whines! I love it. Didn't stab it too much since the tune is way off, but it pops 10 PSI on the gauge reall quick at part throttle. I have to believe this thing is going to roar when I get brave enough to work on the tune. it just feels "different".

Attachments

• Inlet_Mod_1.jpg
    Inlet_Mod_1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 41
  • inlet2.jpg
    inlet2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Dipstick1.jpg
    Dipstick1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Injectors.jpg
    Injectors.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Tough View.jpg
    Tough View.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a view of the blower drive hub when it arrived. Notice it is flush with the housing. And with the 03/04 Cobra hub extention installed. Notice it now extends about an inch to mate with our stock ROE nose extention.

Attachments

• DSCN1792.jpg
    DSCN1792.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 03_04 Drive.jpg
    03_04 Drive.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What else to post..Oh here is my manifold. Slight port job. Nothing like Greg good does but better than stock.

If you compare the old rear to the 2.8 rear, you can see where Kenne Bell found some of the additional displacement. Looks like they increased the bore size of the case w/larger impellers.

Attachments

• Manifold.jpg
    Manifold.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Old_rear.jpg
    Old_rear.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.8_Rear.jpg
    2.8_Rear.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 44

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doing a great job so far! Can't wait to see what number it puts down relative to similar 10lb Roe setups.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the stock airbox. I have messed around with many variations of cone filters attached to this and that but could never come up with anything I really liked (without spending $400+ on the gold standard JMB unit..yes I love that set-up). I ended up removing the stock outlet and grinded flat the back of the case. I then cut, formed, fastened aluminum panels where the OEM tubes used to be. I then cut 3.25 holes in the aluminum panels and installed some slick air filter tube adaptors that are grooved to fit right into the aluminum hole. I then ran a 3" stub out and attached this really handy hi-temp wire reinforced flexible duct. Ridged on the outside and smooth on the inside. Similar to what is used for brake duct cooling. Flexed it up to the throttle bodies and walla. Keep the functionality of the OEM box and get the benefit of hi-flow 3" tubes with W/M nozzles. I know..a bit dated but at this point I have so many parts on shelves that if I can reuse something I'll give it a try.

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is funny...I just finished emailing Kenne Bell to inquire about swapping out my 2.4L instead of rebuilding it. Then I come over here and you posted all the pricing and everything. So, basically you were out of pocket $1400? I'd be out of pocket $700 minimum (depending on what they find). I'm curious to see what the extra displacement makes power-wise.

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,...selling my used 2.4 for $1000.00 was critical to keeping both my car and my marriage. Again, the only real issue is the rear inlet. SOMEONE should make a prototype and mass produce them. $395.00 would be about the market value IMO. If my unit wasn't all back together and installed, I guess I could have gone down that path. I did make a separate steel template of the rear inlet that I have...But just too busy with other stuff and wanted to get the car on the road and prove-out/verify the upgrade. BOTTLEFED 'Tim' you listening??? Right up your alley man.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Are you using the 2.8 LC unit? If so, did you use a seperate pump, heat exchanger etc?

2. What is the trick to get through to Matt? I have talked to him previously but it has been impossible to get through.....:dunno:

Kenne Belle was scheduled to start shipping the 3.6 out on 3/10...

OP
OP
E

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh...even though its not LC, the larger oil reseviour in the front housing is a nice upgrade the 2.8 comes with vice the old 2.4. Just an all around updated unit and it really "sings" even under light accelleration. Can't wait to really open it up to redline and hear how it sounds.