Locked OUT of my GTS

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I have seen TONS of threads on this topic, but I must not be typing in the right words on the search window haha

anyone direct me to how to get my Viper started again?

I went to unlock it, didn't hear it click open, but I still opened the rear hatch. Now the car won't start.

Tried disconnecting the battery cable under the hood to reset, but no go.

thanks!!!

-Leslie

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the battery dead?

I would imagine the alarm would be going off if you had not disarmed it.

Is it cranking?

Need more info!

There is also an alarm reset in the glove box, you need to put your key in it and turn.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
won't even crank, what direction do I turn the key and do I return it to the center position?

am thinking something must have drained the battery-I do have an aftermarket stereo/sub/amp-that might have done it. battery is only 6 mos old (optima)

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The key only turns one way, but if the car is not even cranking, you most likely have a dead battery. This explains why your door will not open.

Turn the ignition on the look at the voltmeter, it should be close to 12 Volts, if it is below that, or there is no reading you need to get the car jump started.

I remember reading that dead optimas don't take well to trickle charging back up.

You most likely will need to jump start it. Make sure you let the car run a while or better yet, go for a short drive to allow the alternator to re-charge the battery.

How is life in Indiana? Guess we won't be seeing you at the fall cruise this year.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the help, you always have been there for me!!!

sounds like I need to get a jump. can I jump from the connection under the hood?

I LOVE South Bend area-got a place on the river and a 3 car garage oh yeh.

now I gotta be a Notre Dame fan huh?

I have the pic of our Seneca Rocks cruise on my desktop:)

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use the connectors under the hood for the jump start. Didn't you have a similar problem with your stereo when you were at my cruise?

Glad to hear you like it out there.

And our fall cruise is definately the highlight of my "Viper" year.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I recall, didn't you just swap out your battery not a long time ago? Maybe you left something on. If you have no lights or door actuation, first step is to look at the battery. I would also look at the charging system if I were you. May be problematic. I believe jumping instructions are in the 01 Manual. That should get you going for the time being.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Leslie,

When you jump start your viper, a regular car or suv most likely will not be enough amps to crank the huge motor over. You will hear clicking sounds when you try to jump it. If you are going to get others to help jump start you, use two cars. Obviously you will need two sets of jumper cables and hook them up. You should get your car jump started that way. postive terminals go with positive and same with negative.

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has the car been sitting for an extended period of time like 36hrs+ ?? or was this a sudden happening ?

is the car somewhere that you can put a battery charger on it for a while instead of jumping it ?

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh this has happened before, and yes it's a relatively new battery (red optima)....I suspect my aftermarket stereo is draining my battery.

Viper's been sitting for a week, which has never been a problem before and I wouldn't think would be if something ELSE wasn't taking my battery charge haha.

thanks for the help guys, I'll get a few cars over here to jump it tonight, that's a good idea about putting a battery charger on it.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that on my 2000, it once locked me out to where I could open the hatch, and release the doors...but the car would not crank. It turned out that the alarm thought it was being stolen...and it disabled the starter. You may want to try turning the keyslot in the console bin.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto Matt M. Same on my 2001. Locked out (I thought) but it was just my remote battery. Had to go through the rear deck lid...alarm blazing...and pop the manual door releases to get in (nice feature). Then had to reset the alarm with the swith in the "glove box" in order to start. Just like the owner's manual describes.

AMong

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it possible that ive put over 20k miles on GTS vipers and know nothing about the " glove box " switch ?? whats the deal ?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it possible that ive put over 20k miles on GTS vipers and know nothing about the " glove box " switch ?? whats the deal ?

Look in your glove box or put your hand in there and feel the top. There is key hole to put your key in to disarm the alarm in the event your key fob goes dead.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leslie, if you can't get it started with a jump, call me.

charger kept bringing up a code showing battery was too low to be charged.

gonna try one more thing, then off to get another battery....can't believe it, this one is only 6 mos old :evilmad:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leslie, if you can't get it started with a jump, call me.

charger kept bringing up a code showing battery was too low to be charged.

gonna try one more thing, then off to get another battery....can't believe it, this one is only 6 mos old :evilmad:

Should be under warranty. It is my understanding that Optimas go to sht if they ever go dead.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I have heard that too-once the Optima's die, forget it.

I ended up replacing the battery today, Viper fired right up. Thanks for all the help on the phone today Steve!

always good to have a local VCA member to help out

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh I have heard that too-once the Optima's die, forget it.

I ended up replacing the battery today, Viper fired right up. Thanks for all the help on the phone today Steve!

always good to have a local VCA member to help out

If the optima is only 6 month's old, most likely it is just dead and needs rechargeing. But you cant just throw a charger on it, You have to get another battery(doesn't have to be a optima) and connect the second battery to your dead optima, then you take your charger and hook it to the good battery. The optima plates are so dense, you have to jump start your optima to take a charge. I have had problems with my optima's going dead as well, and calling them junk, taking them back to the place where I got them. They told me to charge it this way, and it works.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow never heard of that way to charge the optima!

thanks for the info

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Leslie,

Steve called me today about your problem. He did not mention it was you, but a local member so I assume by this post it was you. I have extensive after market stereo work in my GTS. Are you running power cables from the amp directly to the battery? I am running a large Alpine digital amp now and have no problems as long as I keep a tender on the car. Even then it is good for a couple of weeks if it is not on a tender. I would check your connections mainly your power leads. Your amps should not be drawing this much power when off unless you have an enormous amount of watts or a highly inefficient amp.

Hopefully this will solve your problem for the future.

Kurt

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Leslie.

Kurt IS heavy into stereo...and knows a ton about it if you need assistance.

Enjoy your snake today!!!!

Hope to see you at Putnam...should be a great turnout.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt-Thanks, that will help, gonna take it into a local audio shop here and see what's drawing, I will tell them to check the power leads. Yes, I am running cables from the amp to the battery. The audio shop has changed out my 4-channel amp 2 times already in the past 6 mos, keep blowing fuses. When I pulled the spare tire and jack out of the car yesterday the compartment WAS wet-I had driven through a t storm right before the amp went out, wondering if I have a leak somewhere...?

Steve-thanks for the message last night, I feel like I bothered you so much, but I want you to know how much I appreciate you and your knowledge. You helped me get my Viper back on the road-this morning's run was nothing short of OUTstanding.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I really think that the "ignition-off draw test" will be important...should not exceed 35 milliamps per 2001 service manual. This could help flush out a short, including a chaffed wire. One could start over by totally rewiring the stereo...just a thought.

If you don't have a manual, I can fax some pages on this to you if needed.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leslie, we miss you but it certainly sounds like you landed with more than competent group! I learned something about optimas today.
1.Question on the recharging part. If you have to use another battery does the optima have to be removed from the car to do this or could the the charging extra battery just be connected to the posts under the hood?
2. Ab, when you made the comment about using two cars was that because of this difficulty in charging the optima? I have been able to jump my GTS with a standard battery from one other Viper with no sweat in an emergency.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leslie, we miss you but it certainly sounds like you landed with more than competent group! I learned something about optimas today.
1.Question on the recharging part. If you have to use another battery does the optima have to be removed from the car to do this or could the the charging extra battery just be connected to the posts under the hood?
2. Ab, when you made the comment about using two cars was that because of this difficulty in charging the optima? I have been able to jump my GTS with a standard battery from one other Viper with no sweat in an emergency.

Answer to question 1, I personnaly have not done it that way so I cannot comment on if it will work or not. I just have personnaly done it with the battery out of the car and it works great.

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leslie, we miss you but it certainly sounds like you landed with more than competent group!
I miss you guys too-the trip to Seneca Rocks last fall was the BEST Viper cruise I have ever been on:) I am discovering all the core Viper folks with this club are in Indy, think I might need to move again :p

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leslie,

Just another thought. When you stereo is on have you felt your amplifier? If it is running extremely hot, then I would definitely say that it is wired wrong. Today's amps really do not run as hot as older ones so if there is significant heat, there is a problem.

Your water discovery could also be causing an arc which would explain your dead battery. Another good point to check.

Another test with your replacement amplifier, I assume you went up in power? If so, does your new system actually sound louder than your old system or does it seem to lack the power of your old system? Does the bass sound tight and punchy when you turn it up or does it sound weak? If you are experiencing any of the previous sound conditions then your system may have some wiring issues. I agree with Steve about tracing the whole wiring setup for the stereo. These cars are not as easy to put aftermarket systems in correctly as a general Honda is. You have more power concerns and noise filter concerns due to the HUGE electrical system already present.

Hope this helps. I would definitely try and find a custom stereo installation place to look at your system rather than a large chain.

Kurt :2tu:

OP
OP
L

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kurt-thanks I appreciate the advice! My amp is the same power as the first one, but both went out. Base sounds tight and punchy, but sounds like I might have wiring issues.

My amp is under warranty, so I am going to go back to Circuit City to get the replacement, but I think I'll find a local audio shop that really knows wiring to relook the setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960