Locked Out !

DIAMOND

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I tried to get into my 2003 SRT10. I always keep it in the garage with the keys inside and the windows closed. I wanted to take it out on "the open road". However, I found out that the car was locked. I got my spare key and remote transmitter. The remote didn't open the car. Of course I check the batteries and they were at full strength. I also checked the car battery. That was perfect too.

I finally open the trunk, removed the back of the convertible top. Using a long pole and a bent piece of metal, I was able to grab the passenger side door handle and open the door.

I tested the transmitter that was locked in the car. NO RESPONSE

I put the key in the ignition. A strange sound was heard (clicking from inside the dashboard). As if by magic, the interior lighs went on and the car started. The transmitters worked. What Happened??????

Why did the locking system self lock and why wouldn't the remote transmitter open the door. Also, is there another way to get into the car without taking everytrhing apart ?

It was a pain in the butt trying to open the car. I never want this to happen again.

Please help

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is funny,,,I thinking he may be kicking himself in the ass after viewing this post. Man to think of the bull crap he went through to get the door open, he probably scratched the crap out of the handle too. poor dude..lol and to think he had a easy way in the whole time.......lol

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lmao, I read the owner's manual the day I bought my Viper. I was shocked to actually learn there were keyholes on the door, never would have looked under there ;)

Tony

SuperBee364

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday I tried to get into my 2003 SRT10. I always keep it in the garage with the keys inside and the windows closed. I wanted to take it out on "the open road". However, I found out that the car was locked. I got my spare key and remote transmitter. The remote didn't open the car. Of course I check the batteries and they were at full strength. I also checked the car battery. That was perfect too.

I finally open the trunk, removed the back of the convertible top. Using a long pole and a bent piece of metal, I was able to grab the passenger side door handle and open the door.

I tested the transmitter that was locked in the car. NO RESPONSE

I put the key in the ignition. A strange sound was heard (clicking from inside the dashboard). As if by magic, the interior lighs went on and the car started. The transmitters worked. What Happened??????

Why did the locking system self lock and why wouldn't the remote transmitter open the door. Also, is there another way to get into the car without taking everytrhing apart ?

It was a pain in the butt trying to open the car. I never want this to happen again.

Please help

This must be a fairly common occurence with Dodge's entry system. I've had the same exact thing happen on my SRT-8 SuperBee Charger several times. The key slot on my door is a bit easier to find, though. :)

YELLOH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't feel bad . I onced had my keys in my jacket pocket and got warm out and placed jacket in the trunk and closed it. Had to call Dodge got a locksmith $100.00 later door open. So find a spot under the hood and place a spare key.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diamond---:rolaugh: I realy am sorry that happened but dang thats funny as hell!! The lock under the door flang and shazamm youre in... :drinker:

ViperDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While the answer could have been found on this board, or in the owner's manual, or through the replies that came in, of course that all takes time.

Calling the Dodge dealer and talking to the Viper tech when there's a problem is a good idea as well. Making friends with him before hand is even a better idea, and even better - ask him for his cell phone number in case you have a real emergency sometime.

The tech in my area at the dealer I go to gave me his cell number like the 2nd time I came in for a service. I didn't even ask him he just offered. That says something about the car, the dealers, Dodge, and the people who work on them I think.

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't feel bad . I onced had my keys in my jacket pocket and got warm out and placed jacket in the trunk and closed it. Had to call Dodge got a locksmith $100.00 later door open. So find a spot under the hood and place a spare key.

Did the same exact thing last night, driving back to NY from CT. Stopped at gas station, and my dad over-filled the tank so a little gas spilled. I was so frantic to get a rag to clean the gas, I sat my keys in the trunk and then.......CLOSED IT!!

Called local locksmith, gave him vin, and he cut a key and opened the trunk. It took me 10 minutes to get him to believe that there is NO interior trunk release! I'm like dude, if there is no HOOD release in the car, where do you think the trunk release falls in order of priority!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog