Locking and unlocking the GTS

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a lot of key fob threads lately and here's mine finally. For more than a decade, my Viper key fob has given me a nervous breakdown everytime I need to use it. :dunno: Either it will give me a hard time locking or a hard time unlocking. To be specific, while standing within 5 feet of the car, I can get the car to lock/unlock only about 5% of the time on the first attempt. Lately it will not lock the car. What gives? A decade too late but I'm hoping someone can clue me in. :omg:

I have done all of the following:
- Key fob batteries: they always have well over the 3V charge needed.
- Key fob terminals: I have cleaned the inside of these terminals (circuit under the buttons) with alcohol.
- I have always pointed right at the car but pointing underneath seems to work better.
- Car battery is brand new currently.

Where is the alarm/IR sensor? Do I need to clean it? Did I pick up something on it years ago, that never got cleaned (not that I clean the car much anyways)? I have the service manual but it doesn't cover the alarm. :rolleyes:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Suggest you look for posts on this by Ron. He wrote the key fob reprogramming instructions in the upgrade section.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Have you adjusted the spring that pushes against the batteries? I've had mine stop working and all I have to do is crack it upen, bend the spring/prongs up a little and it works like a champ. You said you cleaned the button contacts, you might also try cleaning the battery contacts as well.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I clean the contacts from time time and that usually clears up any problems I have. Do you have two remotes or just one? If one works and the other doesn't, I would say it's a remote circuit board issue.

OP
OP
A

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery thickness is good. Battery contacts have been cleaned. I'll check the spring that pushes into the battery and let you know.

Does anyone know where the IR sensor is on the car?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the IR sensor is on the car?

The fob is an RF transmitter (at least on my '02); so, there shouldn't be anything to clean at the receiver. (If there is something that looks like an LED or dark plastic bubble on your fob, then it is likely IR. I am not familiar with older Viper configurations.)

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are all RF day one to present. The batt may have 3V, but does it have that under load? ie: when the button is depressed.
Could try a new remote, but I'd still suspect the battery first. The reciever is the EECM itself, as it is RF it does not need line-of-sight to work properly. Could try disconecting the box, three connectors, and recon., see if that helps.
Good luck with this, speaking from experience here.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are all RF day one to present. The batt may have 3V, but does it have that under load? ie: when the button is depressed.
Could try a new remote, but I'd still suspect the battery first. The reciever is the EECM itself, as it is RF it does not need line-of-sight to work properly. Could try disconecting the box, three connectors, and recon., see if that helps.
Good luck with this, speaking from experience here.

Isn't there an antenna wire off of the EECM? That if installed incorrectly or missing or ??? could be a problem?