Long distance deals....

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK….so I am on the verge (finally) of buying a Gen 3 Viper from a VCA member on the east coast. Not gonna tell you which one, coz I don’t want anyone to get it before I do… :rolaugh:

How is the best way to transact this, since he is so far away? I don’t want to wire money, or send any money at all until I know he will follow through.

Has anyone else “done a deal”, long distance, in the past? What should I be aware of, to make sure that I don’t get scammed?

Thanks all....:2tu:

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've bought 2 Vipers basicaly sight unseen and long distance and I sold my current viper a couple of weeks ago to somebody in Pennsylvania sight unseen except for a bunch of pictures I emailed him.
Just cover all your bases and be smart about it, you will be fine.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe a local trusted vca member can be the go between guy for you ? or a trusted viper tech/vendor ?

what state is the car in ?

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe a local trusted vca member can be the go between guy for you ? or a trusted viper tech/vendor ?

what state is the car in ?

Hey PC,

The car is in New Jersey....the guy seems OK, but I am nervous about sending any money. Apparently, he wants me to send over the money, to pay off the lien, and then he will send a bill of sale.

The suggestion to contact the VCA in that state is a good one. Does anyone know whom the VCA president or contact is over in Joizey?

Thanks! :2tu:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you pick up the car, give him a check payable to himself and the lien holder. He can give you a bill of sale then and the bank will send you the cleared title.

Do not let him have both the money and the car.

If the lien holder is local, you can both go there and finalize the transaction.

If the car is being sold for under market value, be extra cautious.

Best to go there and inspect the car prior to sending more than a small deposit to hold it.

Hope all goes smoothly.

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you pick up the car, give him a check payable to himself and the lien holder. He can give you a bill of sale then and the bank will send you the cleared title.

Do not let him have both the money and the car.

If the lien holder is local, you can both go there and finalize the transaction.

If the car is being sold for under market value, be extra cautious.

Best to go there and inspect the car prior to sending more than a small deposit to hold it.

Hope all goes smoothly.

Guys - thanks for the info. I'm actually in Arizona, and the car is in Joizey. So, I will look up some VCA contacts over there and get some eyes on it, and also help with the transaction.

And thanks for the suggestion with the check payable to both...a great idea.

:rock:

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine off Ebay. It was listed here and i was concerned about sending the money ,but when i realized he also had it on Ebay,i went that route so as to take advantage of the Ebay buyer protection plan.Mine went smooth as silk. Seller had excellent buyer feedback though.Good luck!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go slow. Lots of VCA guys in Jersey have someone look it over for you.
Plum knows lots of the Jersey guys listen to him.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
May I suggest that you utilize a Viper oriented Dodge/Viper dealer to act as the administrator?

Tator, Buhler? They can be the "hub" to hold the car AND title holder until all checks clear?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my ACR from California and i'm in Ohio. All was sight unseen except for pics. Lots of pics. :D We did a wire transfer. I was a bit nervous but everything went great in the end.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my Viper which was 600+ miles away, I got my butt in a car and drove down to see it, handed the money over on sight because it was a advertised and drove it home with my co pilot following in the car we drove up in. If you are serious about buying it way not fly out and see it in person and arrange transport to meet you at a certain day and time, some transportation companies will do this for an extra fee or if possible drive it back. I would never hand over a large sum of money to someone I didnt know and a car i had not seen in person. If this is not an option have the seller list it on Ebay Motors, they offer buyers protection for up to $50,000 and i believe this protection is free if you buy it through the site, the seller does not have to do auction style, he can list it for the agreed price and have a "buy it now" option to complete the transaction. This is what I did before I made my trip to buy my Viper. The payment term are also customizable, I arranged no down payment the the close of auction, the seller agreed for full payment on-site if it passed my inspection

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno:

Thanks for all of the good info, guys.

Fast forward - I decided to back out of the deal for other reasons other than feeling uncomfortable with the long distance transaction. I did contact a VCA member (thanks, Plum!) who personally knew the seller, and also offered to go take a looksie at the vehicle for me. It's great to have so many helpful VCA members out there, throughout the country, offering to help each other out like this.

But the bottom line was that I was not as financially ready as I thought I was to acquire a second Viper to park alongside my Gen 1. And, was not ready to sell my Gen 1 to be able to afford a "replacement" Gen 3...and probably never will let the Gen 1 go anyway! But hey....maybe that settlement will come, so maybe the Gen 1 will have company sooner than later..?! :dunno:

But it was good to get lots of good advice from others who did the long distance transactions...so if/when that time comes, I'll be ready, with a little help from my "VCA" friends!

Thanks again. :beer:

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it didn't feel right, then you did the right thing by backing out. Contrary to what some say, there are still some good people out that can be trusted with long distance deals.....you just have to find them and to be a little trusting that not everybody is out to screw others.