looking for exhaust parts or recommendation

dave1123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a set of 2000 exhaust manifolds and had them jet-hot coated. I also bought the Mopar/Borla performance cat back exhaust. it looks like the piece of exhaust pipe from the manifolds to the cats is different from what my '96 GTS has. actually I knew from the beginning it was. I was wondering if anyone has the pieces from the manifolds to the cat for sale or what recommendations anyone has for how to install the 2000 manifolds on my '96.

I plan on cutting my cats out completely and was just figuring on get some stainless pipe and have it bent in to fit. I wouldn't object to buying some used parts from a 2000 or up to make it easier, but I'm not paying for the parts new, when I can go buy the pipe and have it custom fit for a fraction of the price. any suggestions. thanks

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy SS pipe - straight or with different deg bends -
on the internet. For straight pipe J C Whitney has some of the best prices.
If you have the option - get the thickest gauge they offer.
They're other sites on the web that sell all the flanges and adapters you need.
So if you can't find the stock pieces - or want 3" - get the parts and
take them to a muffler or welding shop.

You will have a decision to make on mating the pipe to the 'cat-back'
I think the front of the cat-back is reduced to 2 & 1/2 OD - I just
cut out the reduced section and went 3" all the way, but it's up to you.

OP
OP
D

dave1123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya, I saw that site and was considering exactly what you were suggesting. the only thing I'm worried about is the connection from the new pipe to the manifolds. the 2000 stock ones have that flange on there and I really don't want to cut through the jet-hot to take it off. I called a muffler shop that has done several of our local club's cars and he said it wasn't a problem for him to fab the bends and he has the pipe in stock. I guess what I need to do is take the header down to him and see if he can replicate the flange for the other side on the new pipe. thanks for the help

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave,
Yes, you need the section from the tube headers to the cats, or including the cats, INCLUDING the flange clamps. I did the same thing last winter; replaced the cast manifolds with late model tube headers, and had to get the piece from the header flange to the cats, and CLAMPS.
Call JonB at Parts Rack

[email protected]
360-837-3937

Later,

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto that, I did the same.

I say hunt around for the cat/flex pipe section from 98-02 and know that all the fittment is there. The angles might be hard to replicate as the pipe seems to pull back to the exit at the front tire and then turn out from there, may be tricky to get right. The clamps are not cheap, I think 60 bucks for the two, might have been each, ouch!!!

Good luck,

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just make sure your diameters all match from component to component. I believe the Mopar Borla cat back has a 2.5" inlet into a 3" outlet after the muffler. So your system in front of the cat back needs to be all 2.5" diameter or you'll have a step down which would create backpressure.

OP
OP
D

dave1123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have the clamps, they were around $30/each. I was going to just get the flex pipe, but they want $400/each for the part. well, that's excessive!!!! If I could find the used parts some where and they were reasonable, I'd go that route. I haven't been able to find them for sale any where though. does anyone know where to get the used parts at decent prices?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I called Jon B with this exact same request several months ago and he indicated that it would take him too much time and he did not want to be bothered with such a request. I posted a "wanted" ad here which was not successful. Been watching the parts ads as well.

I also have been looking for the flex pipe portion of 2000-2002 exhausts. With all the header installations someone must have the old sets that are of little to no use to them anymore. If so please email me with how to obtain them.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have the clamps, they were around $30/each. I was going to just get the flex pipe, but they want $400/each for the part. well, that's excessive!!!! If I could find the used parts some where and they were reasonable, I'd go that route. I haven't been able to find them for sale any where though. does anyone know where to get the used parts at decent prices?

J C Whitney has 3" flex pipe for around $75
If you go through the trouble and expense of high flow headers and 3" cat
back pipe - why wouldn't you connect the two with something equivalent.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact Archer Racing for take-offs of 2000 and up flex pipe sections..... That's where we got ours....

OP
OP
D

dave1123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the help. there is definately several ways to go about this. All I know is I need to get these mods out of my living room and on to my car. the anticipation is just eating me up. worse than Xmas!!!