Looking to buy

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an article Jay Herbert wrote on what to look for in a used Viper. I'm sure someone will post the link. In general, there are no Viper years to avoid -- it's all a matter of what features you consider important and what you want to pay. There are two generations of Vipers and two body styles, and very few options. So there's not a lot of varied choices. This is a good time to buy a used Viper, as it's a buyer's market.

Gen I -- RT/10 (roadster) 1992 thru 1996: 400 HP (415 in 1996); no side windows; great performance for the true sports car enthusiast; some Viper fans consider this version the only true Viper. Lots of good, clean cars available in many colors besides red: black, yellow, white and green. 1996 was a hyprid year, with many of the Gen II suspension components. Downside: the newest of this generation is 7 years old; could be tough (but not impossible) to get a warranty; this generation is prone to head gasket leaks; but if you find a car with an Arrow engine rebuild (done under warranty), that's a big plus.

Gen II -- GTS (coupe) 1996 thru 2002, RT/10 1997 thru 2002: 450 HP, 490 TQ; more refined than Gen I; interior features real power glass side windows, adjustable pedals; add power side mirrors, brushed aluminum trim, 18-inch wheels for 99 and later. ABS added in 2001. No major mechanical issues with this generation. 1996-1999 were the strongest of the stock Vipers; a cam change and a switch to cast pistons in 2000 cause the 00-02 Vipers to be affectionately called "creampuffs." The 00-02 cars are smoother to drive than 96-99, but do not respond as well to certain modifications. However, we're talking 10-15 horsepower difference here -- nothing major. If you were buying a car to do some forced induction mods, the 96-99 vintage would be the best choice. Otherwise, availability, price and color choice will probably determine what year car you buy (unless you want red).

Do a search for "buying a viper" and you'll find lots of info. Or talk to the VCA president for your region. He'll be glad to help.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got the cart before the horse.

There are lots of Vipers available in your price range from a variety of sources. But, that's the third step in a Viper purchase.

The first step is to hang out with the local Viper club. It's so much easier to understand your options when you can get your information first hand.

The second step is to find a Viper Tech. You'll want someone you can trust no matter which Viper you buy. Again, the local club can be a great help here.

THEN, you are ready to buy a Viper. By this stage you'll probably already have a line on a local car. You'll at least be ready with expert's for advice and someone for a competent pre-purchase inspection.

OP
OP
R

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric Johnson is the AL-TN region president. Check out the Alabama-Tennessee VCA Web Site.

VCA members, regardless of region, are always welcome at our events. (This is true for all VCA regions.) If I can be of any help in answering your questions, drop me a PM with your email address.