Lost Keys prior to sell - Pittsburgh, PA please help

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey,
I found a 2006 Dodge Viper vert that I want to buy in Pittsburgh from an independent dealer. Took off this morning from DC to pick it up and I get a call. When the dealer dropped it off at the shop to get it detailed, the shop (D&R?) lost the key! Why there wasn't more than one ****** me off. Is there anyone that knows where I can get a blank for this key tomorrow? Anyone work for a dealer that might know they have some in stock??? I really want this sale to go down but I can't buy the car if it doesn't have keys, and I have to be back at work monday morning. The only lock smith the detailing shop "trusts" is a guy that's out of town. I'm sooo ********** right now. Can anyone help? Thanks!

v/r
Justin!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I suspect a stalling-delaying tactic.
It is easy enuf for a legit dealer to get a key-code and a key cut.

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I did something that I should have done a lot sooner, I bought a carfax on the car, found out it had a salvaged title... I don't DO salvaged titles and this ***** of a dealer was never going to tell me until I saw salvaged on the titled with my own two eyes.... argh!!!

2006 DODGE VIPER*CONVERTIBLE*6 SPEED*6K MILES*LEATHER*LIKE NEW!!!!!!!!

I like how it tells you that ANYWHERE... let down, again...

Thanks guys!

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what benifit they could get from stalling the sale. New key should be super easy though, so don't know what they're on about.

If you want the car for resale then don't consider it. If you want to own the car and drive it for years then tell them to knock down the price for the rebuilt title. Find out what was wrong with it and what was repaired. Check with previous owner if you can. There's lots of cars out there in that price range with clear titles.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was just looking at this exact car. i love that color. but no way am i gonna try and deal with bringing a salvaged vehicle over the border.

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This dealer has had this car for a long time. There was another person who looked into the same car months back and found out the same thing.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the fine print at the bottom of the ad (in the black part)? WTH?

"619273891-82398478327-48329847932-1732941 You already know the Ford Mustang is an automotive icon that says "fun". Now add to that a convertible top and four college students on spring break, and it spells a rousing good time. You can get attention by cruising the beach with music booming from the SYNC-equipped Shaker audio system, and if that isn't enough, the **** styling will definitely have the beach babes swooning. 1B3JZ65ZX6V100186 104504"

It would be a nice idea to have a thread dedicated to salvage Viper VINs. It could be broke down by year and have the VINs listed numerically to make it easy to search. I know it can't be 100% complete, but something beats nothing, especially for cars like this where the seller is a crook and refuses to disclose the salvage title.

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been scouting this car since atleast December. I knew there was either a catch that he wasn't saying or people in this area had better things to spend their money on than a Viper... It wasn't until 2 weeks ago I finally stopped into the shop. What a effin fraud! When I asked him if there was anything I needed to know about the car, that would have been a GREAT time to say something.

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the fine print at the bottom of the ad (in the black part)? WTH?

"619273891-82398478327-48329847932-1732941 You already know the Ford Mustang is an automotive icon that says "fun". Now add to that a convertible top and four college students on spring break, and it spells a rousing good time. You can get attention by cruising the beach with music booming from the SYNC-equipped Shaker audio system, and if that isn't enough, the **** styling will definitely have the beach babes swooning. 1B3JZ65ZX6V100186 104504"

It would be a nice idea to have a thread dedicated to salvage Viper VINs. It could be broke down by year and have the VINs listed numerically to make it easy to search. I know it can't be 100% complete, but something beats nothing, especially for cars like this where the seller is a crook and refuses to disclose the salvage title.

I've looked at that add a dozen or more times and I never thought to highlight the post. That's pretty awkward if you ask me!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe that there is a car dealer out there that does not disclose all pertinent facts ! What is this world coming to ? We need some more laws protecting buyers who assume that they will be told everything that they think that they should know.

Sorry for that perhaps harsh bit of sarcasm since I don't know you, and I have also had to learn my lessons.

The lesson is, that you can not believe one single bit of information that a seller tells you as being the truth, nor can you assume that they will tell you everything that you think that they should tell you. The car speaks for itself. If you asked "Is there anything that I need to know?" and they didn't tell you about the salvage title, they are NOT dishonest. If you asked "Does the car have a salvage title" and they said NO, then they are dishonest; but, not unexpectedly so.

OP
OP
N

NoVaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe that there is a car dealer out there that does not disclose all pertinent facts ! What is this world coming to ? We need some more laws protecting buyers who assume that they will be told everything that they think that they should know.

Sorry for that perhaps harsh bit of sarcasm since I don't know you, and I have also had to learn my lessons.

The lesson is, that you can not believe one single bit of information that a seller tells you as being the truth, nor can you assume that they will tell you everything that you think that they should tell you. The car speaks for itself. If you asked "Is there anything that I need to know?" and they didn't tell you about the salvage title, they are NOT dishonest. If you asked "Does the car have a salvage title" and they said NO, then they are dishonest; but, not unexpectedly so.

You should go in to used car sales. You'd make a killing deceiving the people you sell cars too. Good day, Sir, thanks for your input.

Anyway, thanks guys. I'll keep looking.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should go in to used car sales. You'd make a killing deceiving the people you sell cars too. Good day, Sir, thanks for your input.

Anyway, thanks guys. I'll keep looking.

I shouldn't have posted it that way. I would have said it to a friend that I know; but, shouldn't have said it to a potential friend that I haven't had an opportunity to meet. I was wrong.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I shouldn't have posted it that way. I would have said it to a friend that I know; but, shouldn't have said it to a potential friend that I haven't had an opportunity to meet. I was wrong.

Wow! Way to redem yourself :2tu: I would accept that apology any day.

BTW...I didn't think it was that rough, but he is understandably POed

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AZTVR, Is one of the many class acts you will meet in the Viper nation, but at the same time he's not far off in his original post, the old adage "trust, but verify" comes to mind.

Look forward to seeing you at VOI XI Jim!

Ron, I don't see you signed up on the caravan thread.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Art, whatcha doing?

Look again, I'm in and ready to go. Missed you this weekend. Run to Big Bear was :cool:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look forward to seeing you at VOI XI Jim!.

Thanks, Art. Sometimes my fingers type faster than my brain can comprehend what was written, and I press Enter before the civilized part has a chance to catch up.

I have to say that I have definitely not been careful enough on some car purchases in the past and been burned myself. I ended up pissed, also. Half at myself and half at the other guy.
It seems that with the internet, though, it is much more easy to hook up with someone who could burn you. I am pretty darned cautious now.

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang