lowering cap install help...

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can not take the bolt off the bottom coilover. I'm not sure what the unit that has ball joints is but it's not removable.

help?

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the rod that connects to the other side of the car (circled in red) doesnt move so I cant take the bolt out that is holding the front coil over on.

any suggestions?

Last edited:

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've installed caps on a couple cars and had the same problem. It helps if you loosen and remove the top mounting bolt and pull the shock from the upper mount. Then, you can twist the shock a little bit (clockwise)....enough for the lower bolt to clear. Note: Mine still barely cleared....but it made it around it with a couple taps on the bolt from the opposite side. Hope this helps! :)

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've installed caps on a couple cars and had the same problem. It helps if you loosen and remove the top mounting bolt and pull the shock from the upper mount. Then, you can twist the shock a little bit (clockwise)....enough for the lower bolt to clear. Note: Mine still barely cleared....but it made it around it with a couple taps on the bolt from the opposite side. Hope this helps! :)
Ha Ha, yes did mine exactly the same way :2tu:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the nut off the bottom of the lower control arm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Screw the nut off until it is flush with the end of the stud and tap upwards with a hammer, finish removing nut. You have to do both sides at the same time. Rotate the sway bar out of the way and remove lower shock bolt. When you put the lower shock bolt in, PUT IT IN THE OTHER WAY so the next time you don't have to remove the sway bar links.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You just need to remove the sway bar link. It looks like your links is bad as well.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly the same procedure I used, except I had a hammer and drift to help things along too. Good work Jeff! Just be glad you don't have to remove the rear shocks from their forks! And yes, your stabilizer link boot is gone and it won't be long till the joint makes noise or fails. If you replace it, use the 'two hammer' method to pop the link from the eye.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So do I need to remove the sway bar to get that off? Anyone have a part number for that boot?
I'll make that a weekend project in the future

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it!!! took me about 3hrs of labor... i just finished..

let the car settle overnight then i'll take a pic. not real noticable yet.. hoping the coilovers just need to settle.. ?

Last edited:

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
new sway bar links are 55 a pair on ebay, same price for front or rear, just did mine a couple weeks ago and put a little never-seize on the tapered part so it is easier to remove the next time, also put poly sway bar bushings in at the same time since the links were off

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I regret not using a tape measure to check ride height.. previous pics are all I have to go with but I'm a little unimpressed with caps. If there is a difference it isnt visually noticeable. and it was a LOT of work for a novice in a residential garage.

Before:

Now:

these are the IPSCO lowering caps. maybe the suspension will settle a little but I was hoping for .75 inch drop as advertised.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you moved the car? If not, the suspension is binding from being jacked up. Drive it around, it should settle in.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that could contribute to the perceived lack of drop is tightening the coilover mounts with the wheels in the air . . . . proper procedure is to torque everything up with the suspension loaded. The easiest way to to do this in a garage setting is to put a jack beneath the brake rotor and raise the hub until the suspension travel stops and the car starts to rise off its jack stand. At that point, tighten the upper and lower mounting bolts to spec.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to drive it a little and it settled.
Its stance doesn't look too low. More like how it should have came from the factory. Looks good.
I'll post a pic later

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everytime you jack up the car, it will have to be driven to settle the suspension back down.....Lowering caps are a great way to get tid of the huge fender gap. I did mine last year and it looks far better than stock.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this is as soon as I was complete:

You must be registered for see images

this is after it settled:

I'm satisfied. Did all the work myself which was gratifying and it was all under $100 total. Viper sits as it should from the factory now, might even sink a little lower when I put some fuel in it.. on E.. hope i make it to the gas station.
oh and A+ seller Grisoman..

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this is as soon as I was complete:

this is after it settled:

I'm satisfied. Did all the work myself which was gratifying and it was all under $100 total. Viper sits as it should from the factory now, might even sink a little lower when I put some fuel in it.. on E.. hope i make it to the gas station.
oh and A+ seller Grisoman..
Looking fine, Jeff. Glad you were able to get most if done yourself (you wisely outsourced the cap installs). Nothing like the feeling of doing your own work. And thanks for the props . . . .

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One thing that many folks miss when lowering the car is the proper loading of the suspension bushings. When a car is lowered, the upper and lower control arm bushing mounts must be untightened to let the car settle to the proper ride height, if you lower the car and do not do this then the bushings will bind up, causing a rough ride and damaging (tearing) the bushing.

With the suspension loaded, tighten the upper and lower control arm bushings and the upper and lower shock mounts. The car will sit lower, ride better and have less alignment change over time.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that many folks miss when lowering the car is the proper loading of the suspension bushings. When a car is lowered, the upper and lower control arm bushing mounts must be untightened to let the car settle to the proper ride height, if you lower the car and do not do this then the bushings will bind up, causing a rough ride and damaging (tearing) the bushing.

With the suspension loaded, tighten the upper and lower control arm bushings and the upper and lower shock mounts. The car will sit lower, ride better and have less alignment change over time.

there certainly wasnt a lot of play.

would you suggest going back and loosening each side and adding some load at this point? I'd be more comfortable putting a jack under there with the other 3 wheels on the ground... when I had it all suspended it was kind of nerve racking.

and as i'm sure you're aware.. these caps dont really lower it substantially.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
new sway bar links are 55 a pair on ebay, same price for front or rear, just did mine a couple weeks ago and put a little never-seize on the tapered part so it is easier to remove the next time, also put poly sway bar bushings in at the same time since the links were off

How were you able to get the links off? remove sway bar?

ttamez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How were you able to get the links off? remove sway bar?

i just took all mine off to replace cause they're bad. take the top nut off all of them, use a ball joint separator ($20 at harbor freight, best tool ever), then the sway bar will swing/pivot up and then you can repeat same steps for bottom and pull them out.

OP
OP
J

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just took all mine off to replace cause they're bad. take the top nut off all of them, use a ball joint separator ($20 at harbor freight, best tool ever), then the sway bar will swing/pivot up and then you can repeat same steps for bottom and pull them out.

thanks man.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I did 100% the same.....

Take the nut off the bottom of the lower control arm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Screw the nut off until it is flush with the end of the stud and tap upwards with a hammer, finish removing nut. You have to do both sides at the same time. Rotate the sway bar out of the way and remove lower shock bolt. When you put the lower shock bolt in, PUT IT IN THE OTHER WAY so the next time you don't have to remove the sway bar links.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang