Milky Wheels???

rgifford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wanted to hear from everyone that has milky wheels? What is the deal, 70k car and the wheels turn turn to milk after 6 months and 3.5k on the clock. Has anyone had succes in dealing with a dealer on this issue. I just find it hard to accpept that this is <FONT size="6">OK</FONT s>.

Hiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing here
frown.gif

My car has only 2,600 miles, and I have those disgusting milky wheels
pissed.gif
Called my dealer, no response. I'm getting the HRE 547s, so I dont know whether or not I should pursue this matter further with my dealer. But I think I should.

If anybody knows any product which makes the wheels look new, plz tell me!
bounce.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
GOT MILK ?

Clearcoat clouds and turns milky.

Are you very careful with cleaners you choose? The Viper clearcoat in 1999+ is very different from 1996-1998. Seems softer.

Are you using a non-abrasive as you would use on the body clearcoat paint? True: I know a guy that THOUGHT he had "CHROME WHEELS" as his dealer told him, and he took a brillo pad to them to clean off the tar!

Brake dust from metallic pads is abrasive, and must be cleaned carefully. Calif Car Duster is best...then wash.

(Another reason why Aramid-Kevlar EBC pads are kind/gentle on wheels !)

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've got 8300 miles on mine, and I bought it new. The wheels have never had anything but carnuba (SP?) wax applied to them, and then daily dusting, with a car duster reserved for the wheels only. (It gets too dirty to use on the paint afterwards)

My wheels still look new. Not a brag. Just sharing info.

Have any of youze guyz used any cleaners, like brake cleaner? Or metal polish?

One time, a young ignorant Vette owner I used to know, ah-hem, well, he used brake cleaner, to get the entrenched brake dust off his aluminum rims. The brake cleaner ate through the clear protective coating, leaving the aluminum bare, after which it oxidized rapidly. That was one unhappy Vette owner! After that I, oops, I mean "he", never did that again!

OP
OP
R

rgifford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing but the best Zaino. I wet the wheels wet and then take 100% cotton cloth to wipe things off. I jsut can not believe that these things are as fragile as crystal and tarnish like silver, at least there is a cure for tarnished silver.... Anyone got any solid reccomendations or a number to call, I am really getting worked about this...

Milkly,

Robert

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rgifford:
I wanted to hear from everyone that has milky wheels? What is the deal, 70k car and the wheels turn turn to milk after 6 months and 3.5k on the clock. Has anyone had succes in dealing with a dealer on this issue. I just find it hard to accpept that this is <FONT size="6">OK</FONT s>.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
milky wheels???
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's that?
confused.gif

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wheels are perfect, like the day I drove the car of the showroom floor.

The only thing I use to clean the wheels is Soap and water, and a soft cloth. If no soap or water is available, then quick detail and cloth.

You guys must be using something abrasive to cause this condition.

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't but that it's a cleaning issue. I don't think anybody, even a detail novice, would take anything abrasive to that shiny a surface. I hope it would be common sense to use a non abrasive cleaner/wax. I use a non abrasive polish/wax and use a dedicated California Duster (the small one).
This sounds like a clear coat problem from the facory specific to some 2001's.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ M:
My wheels are perfect, like the day I drove the car of the showroom floor.

The only thing I use to clean the wheels is Soap and water, and a soft cloth. If no soap or water is available, then quick detail and cloth.

You guys must be using something abrasive to cause this condition.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russ what year is your car??? They are talking about 2001 Vipers. Nice way to stand up for your fellow Viper owners too.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If all else fails, you guys could always have them stripped and re-coated. or have them ACTUALLY chromed or anodized-(for color...would look neat)

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soap, Water and a spunge is the softest thing you can use.
Do not wipe the wheels when they are dry! The brake dust is vary abrasive and will leave small scratches that will add up to severe damage to the clear coat.
Dan

Rich01RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got Milk too -

Only used soap/water, 100% cotton towels, Zaino products and California Duster from day one.
(Also 2001)

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 96 Vette with coated aluminum wheels. They are perfect as are almost all of the aluminum wheels we all see every day. Coated aluminum wheels are not unusual or hard to take care of and they don't require any special caution in order to last years and years. Let's face it, if these guys are all having the same trouble with milky coating on aluminum wheels, then that means that something was wrong with the way they were coated or the coating was defective. Let's see DC step up and fix it.

Hot Rod

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've used nothing but Windex and paper towels to clean the dust off my wheels and follow it up with Zymol polish. It's a '99 with 14,000 miles and wheels still look like new.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one out of four slightly milky!!!!
I thought it was just me..
but no matter how much i clean it Zaino products only...
cant get it to sparkle they way it should.
it is very clean but not as shiny as the others.
Not milky yet... hope it doesnt get worst. just slightly duller than the other 3...

So now what do we do??????

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem? I have a 2001 and 3 of 4 wheels are turning dull starting closest to inside of the rim. Is this possibly a heat problem. My front driver side is still in good shape. I use only Zaino car wash soap and have never polished them. Every time i wash the car they seem to be getting worst-except for the drivers side front. I am taking the car to the Dealer, but for some reason I don't think (Dublin Dodge) will be helpful. I talked to So Cal Rebell and he said his were replaced a year ago on a 2000 under warranty. Any help out there?

Joe B

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am responding to this post because I am in the painting business. Clear coats go on milky and dry clear, especially acrylic (plastic) coatings. The clear coat will only turn milky again if- Some solvent has softened the coating, or there is a problem with the clear coat. Different solvents can damage the clear. Petroleum or alcohol based cleaners. But this is not the first years for clear coated rims and as Jon B said. The clear may have been changed. Government regulations VOC laws may have something to do with the change. But there could be a chemical problem with the catalyst that has caused the clear to remain soft and turn milky over time. My guess is- Bad batch, or bad technician measuring and catalyzing the clear. But only speculation. Only shows up over time.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never had any problems on my early model year 2000. On day one I did the whole Zaino thing twice to the whole car including wheels (wash, polish lok, polish, spray stuff, polish, spray...yada, yada, yada...) and never got milk. Was always amazed how easy dust came off of them and I very rarely re-Zaino'd the whole 9,000 step process.

Am about to do the same Zaino thing at least twice on the new '02 tomorrow though these posts are making me think twice about the wheels...

As an aside, my 2000's paint looked much better (brighter and deeper) than a local dealer's '02 ACR especially after his get ready people installed their own special dealership swirl marks.

JoeB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SoCal Rebell,
Tell me how your wheels were before they were replaced. Were they starting to turn milky white from inside out.

Thanks

Joe B

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm starting to "get milk" too. I'm having my car in for service (again) in a few weeks, so I'll see what I can see then.