mod or not to mod

mach4444

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is the question.

I purchased my car with some tasteful mods already done.smooth tubes, k+n, cat delete after market mufflers. car sounds great, runs strong and for 30,000 miles has been ultra reliable.
now I've got the bug. problem is every time I buy a vehicle it gets more and more outta control. next thing I know I've got some hyperactive beast that starts being finicky, makes me deaf, attracts to much of the wrong attention and steals all my money.

it has happened with bikes, motorcycles, jet skies, cars, thank god I don't have airplanes. I even tried it on my ultralight until I crashed and said enough was enough.

I love my car and drive it often and want to continue to drive it whenever I want with no
headaches. I am partial to American muscle so in the past the decision was easy.
some pulleys, rear gears, upgraded clutch,off road h-pipes/exhaust etc.

curious as to what some of you guys think. I do not plan on much 1/4 mile or road racing (maybe a gts in my future for that) yet want to beef it up some. I searched and just got lost reading.

what is the point in changing rear gears in a viper? the thing already lights em up at will. in my old cobra the rear gears turned it into a 1/4 mile beast but made 1st gear useless. I purposely bought what everyone else calls a cream puff (2000 rt/10) to keep things under check, but now I want more. I would like to stay naturally aspirated but who knows if the right mods come along.
reliability is a must.

with mustangs there was a set path- pulleys, gears, exhaust, headers, heads, superchargers etc. but the viper is way to expensive a car to not make the right choices on the first try. help.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine with some tasteful mods too....roller rockers, headers, exhaust, SRT brakes, Snakehydes interior, vinyl stripes, 18" wheels, supercharger, etc.....:rolaugh:

Mod it man, mod it!!!:drive:

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fat albert is selling one of his motors, it will cost you close to $20K but the thing is rock solid and will put over 600 to the wheels. I amy do this down the road, If you need more than throw a S/C on top. Call him and he will gove you the specs...the engine is well built and can handle more than you can throw at it.

PS...I thought about getting a vette just to mod the heck out of it.
there are some cheap C5Z06's out there

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With my 05 Commemorative Edition (my second Viper), I was just going to "leave it completely stock"....yea right! My Gen 1 was S/C'd, 3:73's, Roller rockers, NOS, H2O ****, the whole ball of wax, so I just couldn't "leave" well enough alone with the Gen 3. It felt "slow" compaired to the old tircked out Gen 1. Well, a Paxton, 3:55 gears, Belanger headers, high flow cats, and Belanger exhaust, PS2's, and a computer re-flash and it's the time of your life,& I won't look back! The modded car is EXCEPTIONAL, VERY, VERY FAST,and very reliable. Mod it! It's the only way to go!

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MOD IT! I just bought a 97 GTS with a Paxton blower and Corsa exhaust. It's ubelievable! I'm already looking into other mods.

From everything I have read, Roller Rockers, Headers, Full Exhaust and a computer chip/re-flash are good places to start. There's always nitrous as well for those quick "as needed" HP bumps.

I too came from the Mustang camp. A lot of the same performance rules apply here, you are just starting out with more power.

MOD IT, MOD IT, MOD IT!!! :2tu:

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mod it, make it your own. That's part of the fun of Viper ownership... or any car for that matter.:2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang