Moving to Miami

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there is a good chance that I will be moving to Miami very soon. What are the good places to live in that are Viper friendly? Also I'm looking to rent the house first then buy later. Any recommendations? Thanks! :2tu:

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was born in North Miami Beach and lived there when I was younger, lived in Boca Raton scince then about 30 min or so north of FT. Lauderdale/Miami.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Florida realestate is ultra hot right now. Buy & make some$$ Call me for a mortgage.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 3/3 on the water to rent in West Palm Beach. :2tu:

2000 GTS Steel Grey
6 piston Baer claws up front, Front brakes in back, Quaife differential, GKH half shafts,
Alloy fly wheel, Short throw shifter, Polished aluminum intakes, K&N air filters,
Optima battery, Sterling silver key. :usa:

matthyoo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where in Miami? You could find a nice house in Coral Gables, or in Pinecrest. Where will you be working, how far do you want to commute to and from work, will I get a ride in the Viper since I have never been for a ride in one...

matthyoo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be working from home.

Well, do you want to live in Miami, like downtown? Or on the water, in a gated community? There is so many nice, middle/upper class places in "Miami" it isn't even funny...

And do as Chuck said... :p

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a house or a townhome to rent 1500-2000 sq ft. gated community with 1-2 car garage..pool, gym and other good things. I want to live in a place that I would not be scared for my car or my life LOL. So what are good areas? I want to be close to restaurants and cool hang out places.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Learn Spanish and forget English...

Learn to say "how do I get to airport"
"Big Mac", "Coca Cola"
and other useful phrases..

Gerald

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Learn Spanish and forget English...

Learn to say "how do I get to airport"
"Big Mac", "Coca Cola"
and other useful phrases..

Gerald

"Don't shoot, I'm unarmed."
"Here, take all of it, it's yours."
"Can I have her back when you're through?"

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
El Diablo,
I've lived in Miami for 30 years and have 4 Vipers at my house (along with another 8 cars or so). No problems. If you want to live in MIAMI, you'll want to live in Coral Gables or Pinecrest (maybe Key Biscayne). If you want to live in Ft. Lauderdale, I think you'll want to live in the Boca Raton area. In either case, we'll look forward to having you in our club. Ivan ** is the president. If you PM me, I'll send you my phone number and we can hook up as soon as you get down here. I can also turn you on to some reputable realtors if you want.
Crime isn't any more prevalent than it is in any other large city and the climate here is great.

GRocks10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
North Miami Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, you'll be a kid in a candy store there.. HAH!

Gerald

I happen to live in the North Miami Beach, FL area. I noticed theres a beautiful Dodge Viper in red that lives right by me. The other day when I was driving in my car I happened to see the driver come out of his driveway in the VIPER! I was in a state of happiness just looking at it! I had a short chat with him while we were side by side and he gave me a nice quote that I liked alot. Most of all, he told me to drop by for a ride one day!!! I came over like a week later to his house because I took what he said serious but I guess no one was home. :( I was just curious, but could that person be you or anyone on here? Do you remember talking to a young guy with a Black Pontiac Grand AM? If so, that would be so cool that you're a member on here! =)

Regards,
Gabriel

P.S.,

ElDiablo Viper,

North Miami Beach is a nice place to move to. I think you would like it here especially when you take the snake to South Beach. Make sure you bring me along!! :)

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've lived in Miami for the vast majority of my life, though I now spend most of my time out of the country, so I'm qualified to answer your questions.

As others have mentioned, Coral Gables and Pinecrest are both good choices in Miami. Pembroke Pines is also a decent choice if you are looking to live in the far north Miami / far south Ft. Lauderdale are. Personally, I find North Miami and Ft. Lauderdale to be boring, but others will disagree.

Miami Beach has the highest number of clubs/hang-out spots of any area in Miami, but central Miami (Kendall) also has a few places to go, as does Coconut Grove. Both are also decent places to live if you find the right neighborhoods.

An oft neglected area of Miami, and thankfully so, is the deep south part of Miami. Just south of Miami is Homestead and Florida City, and there is also the far east side of southern Miami - neighborhoods along Old Cutler Road. This area of Miami is not like the rest. English is still the common language, though Spanish is not rare. Crime is low, population thin and traffic light. But you are still in short driving distance to Miami - say 30-40 minutes to downtown Miami on an uncongested day. Another novelty of this area is that you can drive to the upper Keys in approximately the same amount of time. Housing costs are relatively low in this area, but rising very, very quickly. And like any other area, the specific neighborhood is important. West homestead is quite bad, while east Homestead is quite nice. Also the very far west is the Redlands, which are very safe and you get a lot of property for your dollar.

It's all in what you want. If you want to be in walking distance to clubs, live on Miami Beach. If you want peace and quiet, but to be a relatively short drive to Miami, pick a place down south. If you want a neighborhood that's a bit noisier, and where you're a really short drive to the action, choose east central Miami.

Miami is a GREAT town. But having grown up there, I've been saturated. While I still love it, I no longer feel I'm missing out on anything by not being there, but it took a solid 25 years to get to that point :laugh:

Good luck!

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The one thing you may find disapointing about S. Florida is that there is no place to go out and enjoy driving your car. By that I mean there are no good hilly and twisty roads down here, just boring flat east, west, north, and south roads with way to much traffic. I took my car to Ohio this summer and found many nice country roads to have fun on. I think I would enjoy my car much more if I still lived there. The roads are so boring down here that the thought of selling the Viper has even crossed my mind. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and the weather down here, the roads just ****!

OP
OP
E

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback! This is great. As it stands now it looks like I'll be in Miami in mid Feb. I think that I will have to paint my car white LOL. Also black BMW does not help!

BTW how is the state inspection? I have no cats...is there a sniff test?

matthyoo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can find a nice house like what you're looking for at a place called Gables by the Sea. It's right off Old Cutler (which takes you to Coconut Grove, which is a popular hangout), and is extremely nice. Very beautiful houses, and if you have the cash, you can get a place on the water...

I live in Homestead. I love it out here. The houses are all on 5 acre lots, and basically it is all farm-land. No ********, no problems, etc. My house is about 3000 sq. ft, 2 car garage, pool, tennis court, 4 bed, 3.5 bath, all said and done, we spent about $200,000 on the house and fixing it up, and now it's worth over $600,000. Plus the added benefit that we have an avacodo grove in our backyard, and that gives us a $3,000 tax exemption because technically we are "farmers". If you don't mind driving 30-45 minutes to downtown/all the happening places in Miami, Homestead is a great place to live.

If you have any questions, PM me or IM me on AOL Instant Messanger. I've lived in Miami for my whole life and know a lot about it..

My AIM screen name is: NouseforaWeiner

Matt

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
matthyoo,

Whereabouts in Homestead do you live? I 'live' in Keys Gate, but as I stated before, I'm out of the country far more often than I'm in so I use the term 'live' loosely.

You say you lived there your whole life, so where did you go to high school? When did you graduate? I'm a Ridge Rat myself. Moved out of Cutler Ridge even further south to Homestead a few years back.

matthyoo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live off of 238th St and 162nd Ave. Ever hear of Knaus Berry Farms? Right down the street from there. I graduated from South Dade Senior High School...last year. I'm only 18, but I know this area like the back of my hand. Where abouts in Key's Gate do you live? Maybe I could check out the Vipers? :cool:

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ohhhhh man... Knauss... Just the word makes me drool. (drrrrooooooolllll)

One has not lived until one has eaten warm cinnamon rolls from Knauss on a cool winter morning, or had a strawberry-key lime milkshake on a warm afternoon.

Great. Now I'm suffering a nostalgia attack.

Anyway, I don't have a Viper, yet. As I said before, I'm out of the country and am not due to return to the States until mid-July. I plan to start casually shopping online in April and May, seriously shopping online in June (and will buy online if I find a great deal), and shopping with extreme prejudice in July with every intention of having the car by August 1.

But if all goes well, and you're still on the boards at that time, I'll take you for a spin. Homestead race track used to let people run their cars on the weekend for something like $200 per day. Do they still allow it?

matthyoo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if they still allow it, but I've seen some track days that happen down there, and it looks like a good time.

Haha -- want to know something funny? I work at Knaus Berry Farms, and more than likely will take it over if I stay in Homestead long enough. I am sick of the cinnamon rolls though...yuck. The black bottom cakes are where it's at ;)

WilBriK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You work at Knauss? I thought you had to be a Mennonite to work there, or have they started bringing in 'outsiders'? I do remember seeing a couple non-Mennonite girs working at the shake stand last year.

Then again, maybe I have the religion wrong. Are they German Baptists?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21