My first Viper

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up my car today 96 B&W, I got some questions and hoping some of you veteran Viper owners can help. 1)The car shakes like crazy when it hits 75-80mph. drives fine at any speed lower than 75mph. Should I have the tires balanced first?? 2)I am at very low speed for incidence driving in a parking lot, at around 1000-1500 in first or second the car boggles and jerks almost stalled the engine. 3)when I am accelerating hard in any gear, there is this nosie comes out from the engine. It sounds like drag a metal chain around on the ground. Are the above experinces normal for a 96 GTS. Anyone have any answers please chime in, thanks in advance. Derek.
You must be registered for see images attach

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Are the tires original? If so, they are too old, get new. If not, then get them balanced.

2. Vipers don't like to cruise along at idle. But if your's is stalling it could be several things. Go with new plugs and wires first.

3. Not sure. Are you using 93 octane?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just picked up my car today 96 B&W, I got some questions and hoping some of you veteran Viper owners can help. 1)The car shakes like crazy when it hits 75-80mph. drives fine at any speed lower than 75mph. Should I have the tires balanced first?? 2)I am at very low speed for incidence driving in a parking lot, at around 1000-1500 in first or second the car boggles and jerks almost stalled the engine. 3)when I am accelerating hard in any gear, there is this nosie comes out from the engine. It sounds like drag a metal chain around on the ground. Are the above experinces normal for a 96 GTS. Anyone have any answers please chime in, thanks in advance. Derek.

Congrats on the car. Looks very nice. As for the problems that you were having:

#1: You probably need new tires since it sounds like they are original or pretty old. Check and see the age. It is not uncommon for them to be originals if it is a low mileage car. By the way, how many miles did you buy it with?

#2: That is very normal and happens in all Vipers.

#3: Never heard of this one.

OP
OP
D

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the tires have 12000 miles on the. But, they have a lot of tread left, I do mean a lot

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the tires have 12000 miles on the. But, they have a lot of tread left, I do mean a lot

Tread may be good but the tire could be separating from the cords, which you would not see. Again, if they are the original tires or old, replace them.

OP
OP
D

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they are not original tires, but had been with the car for 5 yrs already

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Those tires are not original tires...look at the tread design.

you may want to check if the mettalic noise is a heat sheild or something exhaust related rattling around.

If it's coming from the inside of the engine, doesn't sound too good. Did you notice these problems when you first bought it? Hope it's not serious.

OP
OP
D

Derek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noise might also be the whistling sound coming from the throttle body. I am not sure.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase but you should of had it checked out by a Viper Tech before you took delivery. I remember a car I once owned sounded like a chain was being dragged through the motor, ends up the car was low on coolant and it was starting to overheat.
Is that salt and snow on the ground????

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Derek!!! Yer not gonna drive that any more this winter, are ya?????!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
The finest tuner shop in N.W. wisc. can check that bad boy out for ya!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vibration around 80mph may just be a simple wheel balancing problem, or it could be a bent rim. Speacking from experience, its easy to slide the rear and hit a curb on a narrow road.

On the second thing, yes this is not another flashy tuner car. The Viper is a beast and hates to be taxied slowly.

The third thing if the power is there, don't worry if it doesn't sound like a Dodge Caravan.

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Derek, before you keep driving her around STOP!!! it is not normal for the chain dragging on the ground sound PERIOD. i have a 97 gts and yes the other occurances you saw are normal and what make our cars what they are. bas asp rides. but please look into the noise you describe cause that is too pretty a viper to see dead for awhile. and you stated that maybe the niose is the throttle bodies whistling. doubtful. first you state a dragging chain sound, then a whistling sound, which is it cause no throttle bodie setup for these cars on the planet cause that noise. if you have smooth tubes and clean airfilters like kn or sb it will sound like a soft vacuum and light whistle at idle and on the gas. NOT A CHAIN DRAGGING NOISE. how many miles are on her.

Kaiyin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
at least give me credit for the pics! Except the first one...I don't take bad pics. haha j/p

Here's one that I touched up a bit. My favorite one that I took.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow awsome viper! congrats

at least give me credit for the pics! Except the first one...I don't take bad pics. haha j/p

Here's one that I touched up a bit. My favorite one that I took.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you picked her up! Congrats Derek! :2tu:

Check the tire pressure, too much can cause the shaking at higher speeds also. Keep the pressure around 30lbs or so. Do not read the side of the tire and fill it too 44lbs or what ever it says!

I hope it all works out. I'd call the previous owner and ask him about everything. Mark should have all the answers!

Good luck!