My garage is possessed. Waiting for car to explode next.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone remember when the setting sun tried to set my tire on fire? Here's that post with pics:

http://forums.viperclub.org/2638281-post1.html

Fast forward to this weekend. Vacuuming the trunk out and notice a burn spot on the back of my passenger side seat. I grabbed a Sharpie before the camera to color the yellow foam black, as it was either that or shoot off a few rounds at the sun, but ***?

You must be registered for see images

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a spot just like it but i did it with a bulb way back when i was installing the nitrous. trying to see better i got to close to the seat with a bulb and burned a nice spot like it

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you think its from Dave?
I have a spot like that on each of my seats. They were there when I bought the car. They look like big cigarette burns but are in the exact same spot on both seats, and in the same place as the one you have.
They bother the hell out of me every time I open the hatch.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you think its from Dave?
I have a spot like that on each of my seats. They were there when I bought the car. They look like big cigarette burns but are in the exact same spot on both seats, and in the same place as the one you have.
They bother the hell out of me every time I open the hatch.

I obviously have a problem with some prism effect coming off something, and powered by the sun. For 17 years I parked my truck and dune buggy in the main 2 car garage, and then when I got the Viper the dune buggy went to one of my garages in the back and the truck became an outdoor vehicle.

-> 17 years of truck/buggy in garage nothing melted.

-> 3 years of truck in driveway and Viper solely in garage 2 melted things.

Is my truck the prism? The angle and location of each of these is the same relative to the sun/door/truck.

I'll get a small piece of cloth and glue it in behind the hole, but when will this crap stop? Will the next one be on the rear bumper cover or...?

And please remind me to never store flammables in my garage on that side!

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave or should we call you SUNNY BOY! lol

Your car is RED its sooooOOooooo hot that its catching on FIRE!

I’ve heard of spontaneous combustion but man that takes the cake!

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to tint you windows in the garage. Had a customer a few years back with a RT and chrome covers in the door opening. We were talking beside the car and we see smoke. The sun reflecting off the chrome melted a spot in his door panel.

Its really Global warming. Need to support Al Gore to really fix the problem.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the white hood vents hit the mirrors on your garage ceiling, reflected onto a shiny metal piece on your garage door, then into the car to melt the seat. Note, this was all at night with the garage door down and the lights off........ :lmao:

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White... What a powerful color that is too huh? Emits burning rays in total darkness... Adds 20 rwhp average per hood vent... Chicks remove their ******* when they see them...

Yup, the hood vents are gonna stay! :rolaugh:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw such a spot like that on my seat on the FE 2002 also ... any conspiracy theories :dunno:

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track with the prism analysis. Something is concentrating the suns rays onto a small area or spot.

During a car show I had the hood of my Cobra up and the sun relected off the top of the chrome air cleaner and burned the bottom of my hood. With the movement of the sun, and by the time I discovered it, I had a one foot long burn on the paint. Fortunatley the hood had a void between the lower and upper panels so the top was undamaged.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on Dave, gimme a break........ Give it up! We all know what's going on so just let us in.... We can help.... It's obvious your garage is bored. Please, a few hot girls in there and all these little issues will go away.......

Nobody cares that your ride has a hot spot on the seat... if you know what I mean....:omg:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:nono: tom, is that a _____ ref :dunno:

Ooops. I don't get this.

Are you implying that the moon has something to do with this?

Prism with red. Dark side (666... +6). Moonlight is the sun's reflection. All seems to fit.

Dave, another poster commented that there are similar marks on the back of the seats. Perhaps a 300W shop light, at night and moved around behind the car, would give you an idea of how or where the sun position needs to be to create the resulting beam that travels through the hatch glass and concentrates on the seat back.

Or buy a house with only northern exposure.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, I guess you going to have to spend the next sunny day sitting in your garage waiting for the sun to do the same thing.
My garage windows blinds are always closed. I have had no problems yet with my GTS. my door windows only are tinted.

OP
OP
D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ummm, close the garage door.

OK ??

Please advise on car removal technique with this garage door closed strategy. :hmmm:

And Tom... I'll be looping Dark Side of the Moon at full Dolby 7.1 in an attempt to exorcise these fascist light bending pigs from my neighborhood. I can envision a scene similar to the ending of the first Ghostbusters. White hood vent creme everywhere.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm expecting my life to turn in to this shortly thereafter.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:lmao:

Nah,,,If your rear window is indeed the prism, then all is well because the light would not touch it.

There are so many variables to tracking down the issue that this could drive you nuts...
Placement of the viper,
Placement of the truck.
Time of day,
Time of year.
Placement of spares tire or any other highly reflective surfaces...

You could place a white piece of paper over the back of the seat and set a up camera in time lapse mode to take pictures. This would be a starting point in tracking down your mystery light.

BTW- Is that an 8 Ball shift nob?

Great idea. Have the burn marks on the front of my new seats.

:rolleyes:

Silly Kalifornians.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960