New member looking to buy a '96 Viper

Snake Charmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys: I am looking at buying a 1996 Viper GTS with 8000 miles on the clock for $35,000.00 from an estate. Car was supposedly in storage for a number of years.

Is this a good price? Seems like a very good price to me.

Is there something I should look for wtih these cars that I am missing?

Is this a good year and model as far as Vipers go???

How do they drive, handle, hold up??? Are they reliable or money pits. Are they solid cars or do they shake and rattle.

I know 0 about Vipers.

The other car I am looking at is the Boss 302 LS.

Any guidane would be appreciated.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy it unless I had it inspected. If it has set for a number of years and not been serviced there could be a lot of issues that would require a big injection of money. If the tires are older than a 4 or 5 years they need to be repalced and that's about $1,600.00. Then there's the maintenance items, fluids, etc. If all that needs to be done there's anther couple hundred bucks. After all that I think the price is pretty good. If you buy it and get it road ready the driving experience would be quite a bit more satisfying than that Mustang IMHO. The Mustang would be more daily driver friendly because of the nature of the beast (Viper). You would have an 8000 mile car that would give you more driving excitement than 10 Mustangs. It's a toss that only you can call. I'd say buy the Viper if all looks good and give it a try.

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy the 96 GTS.............not the LS Mustang......to me it is a no brainer......

Hi guys: I am looking at buying a 1996 Viper GTS with 8000 miles on the clock for $35,000.00 from an estate. Car was supposedly in storage for a number of years.

Is this a good price? Seems like a very good price to me.

Is there something I should look for wtih these cars that I am missing?

Is this a good year and model as far as Vipers go???

How do they drive, handle, hold up??? Are they reliable or money pits. Are they solid cars or do they shake and rattle.

I know 0 about Vipers.

The other car I am looking at is the Boss 302 LS.

Any guidane would be appreciated.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only real question is why does this car interest you? Normally, most buyers are people who have loved the cars since they first saw one and know all about them. If you're truly not one of these people, then it may not be the car for you? Just being honest.

OP
OP
S

Snake Charmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car interests me because cars are a passion for me. Alot cheaper then girlfriends when you are married too! Other significant rides include 2005 FGT; Shelby Continuation 427 Cobra; '09 GT500KR; '07Sheby Mustang GT heavily modded for the track; 2011 Carrera GTS with aerocup package. The Viper also interests me as it also has a connection to Carroll Shelby. I've been a Shelby fan since grade school.

I just have no knowledge of Vipers, i.e. how they drive, reliability, particular issues or problems etc...this car is apparently all stock.

Is the 1996 GTS Viper a good Viper model to acquire? The $35,000.00 asking price seem like a very good price.

Also, if I buy the car what is the best header and exhaust setup to give the car the best exhaust note.

Are there any performance mods you guys suggest besides headers and exhaust short of a supercharger?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Blue/White 96 Viper is perhaps one of the most desirable and coveted model ever.

It was the first Coupe model made, and had a new 450 hp engine under the fantastically curvey hood.

There was a huge interest in that car, and Dodge even restricted purchase to existing Viper owners with a Voucher system that kept the dealerships from adding huge mark-ups to the sticker price.

They had a very good reputation for reliability. If you had engine trouble (as many owners took them to a hard life on the track) they were boxed up and sent to Arrow Racing for rebuilding and came out making even more power.

Weak spot was a braking system that used very little rear braking, and tended to flat spot tires when emergency braking was called into play.

Another area of concern is that when you floor the throttle, the air conditioning was shut off to send all power to the rear wheels. This can be a concern at first, but you soon get used to it.

First time you use the windshield washers you will break out into laughter as you witness their unique snake dance motion. (They clear the windshield really well, and are fun to watch)

96 was the first year for the uber cool Road to Road racing stripes.

All in all 96 was a pretty vintage year for Viper.

Biggest issue is that it is a 16 year old car with few miles. A good going over by a trusted mechanic with Viper experience would always be a good idea on the purchase of any such car with the performance capabilities that this Viper offers.

These coupes typically are rock solid. No shakes or rattles should be expected.

Price is great, mileage low, color fantastic. Opportunity like this does not come along everyday.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not the best daily driver? 70K miles and counting on my gts, 30K on my rt/10. I drive one of them at least twice a week. Of course, I also drive a 750hp Bandit trans-am with t-tops and no AC in the middle of summer:)

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Blue/White 96 Viper is perhaps one of the most desirable and coveted model ever.

It was the first Coupe model made, and had a new 450 hp engine under the fantastically curvey hood.

There was a huge interest in that car, and Dodge even restricted purchase to existing Viper owners with a Voucher system that kept the dealerships from adding huge mark-ups to the sticker price.

They had a very good reputation for reliability. If you had engine trouble (as many owners took them to a hard life on the track) they were boxed up and sent to Arrow Racing for rebuilding and came out making even more power.

Weak spot was a braking system that used very little rear braking, and tended to flat spot tires when emergency braking was called into play.

Another area of concern is that when you floor the throttle, the air conditioning was shut off to send all power to the rear wheels. This can be a concern at first, but you soon get used to it.

First time you use the windshield washers you will break out into laughter as you witness their unique snake dance motion. (They clear the windshield really well, and are fun to watch)

96 was the first year for the uber cool Road to Road racing stripes.

All in all 96 was a pretty vintage year for Viper.

Biggest issue is that it is a 16 year old car with few miles. A good going over by a trusted mechanic with Viper experience would always be a good idea on the purchase of any such car with the performance capabilities that this Viper offers.

These coupes typically are rock solid. No shakes or rattles should be expected.

Price is great, mileage low, color fantastic. Opportunity like this does not come along everyday.

What he said^^^^^^^^^

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First check it over for accident repair and clean/free and clear title, if all looks good at that price the odds are in your favor. Tires, oil change, belt, wires, coolant pressure check, and a few factory weak part upgrades and your on the road. Do a fluid swap to get it on a maintenance schedule. Some people daily drive, majority do not. I do not so I cannot speak of the nuances, I sure would be keeping one eye on the prize when leaving unattended. These cars attract attention when parked, sometimes more bad than good.

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well being a new member, you sure new how to pick them. the 96 B/W is problably the most iconic of them all. Its arguably what started the ball rolling.

Take the advice of all the above as they all have great points as what to look for and service. In the end, youll have one of the greatest cars in the world and you'll be part of one of the greatest clubs in the world

GTSHolgi

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What you should also look for is whether or not Recall 998 has been performed on the vehicle (correctly). This is one of the major recalls for '96-'99 Vipers and involves some frame work (steering rack crossmember and differential mounting bracket).

OP
OP
S

Snake Charmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys: Thanks for the advice. I will definitely get the VIN and check the recall out. If it didn't have the recall done is it too late for the dealer to do it as it has been sitting in storage for a number of years? I have pics and the last time it was apparently driven was in 1998 based on the inspection sticker. I have pics and the car looks like it has been sitting. A little dusty. Definitely needs a full detail!!!

It was owned by a car collector that died and his son (a retired airline pilot is selling it and has no interest in cars).

If I buy the car what headers and exhaust should I put on it to get the best rumble out of that V10?

What are some must do mods (there are always some with any car) short of blower???

Voodo Rob: Love the wheels on yours. What are they?

Should I put new 18"'s or 19"s on???

Thanks again for the input!

So many questions.

OP
OP
S

Snake Charmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rev: The car is about 2 1/2 hours away from me and I have made plans to see it in a week or so. Spoke to my friend this morning and he will get me the VIN. When I get it do you want the last for digits????

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are some must do mods (there are always some with any car) short of blower???

Well, for some easy power, add smoothtubes and K&N Air filters for 10bhp (same add-on as the Gen 2 ACR have for the claimed 460 bhp). HIgh flow cats and low restriction exhaust will free up power as well. There are some threads on the forum with dyno testing with this setup. Some also have a custom ECU tune.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, in 96 Vipers Coupes had a really cool lumpy cam. Gave it that big block feel. The shifter also normally vibrated a bit at idle. They called the sound neutral gear idle.
The frame recall was focused on reinforcing a gusset that showed up with heavy track use. Good idea to have it done by having a plate welded in, but for street use it did not seem to be a issue.
If you do not wish to purchase the car, please post details here, and I bet others would love to snap it up.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The recall 998 is for those who track their rides. Seems as though most have decided to do this.
Many reputable Techs that can preform this for you

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy the 96 GTS.............not the LS Mustang......to me it is a no brainer......

^^^This for sure. Mustangs are a dime a dozen. I've never heard of someone wishing they would have bought a Mustang over a Viper. I have heard it the other way around though.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good, you're a car guy. Definitely a nice pick. Go test drive it and if you get it you'll know you've fallen for it.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it's a bone stock car and you start putting mods on I would suggest you hang on to the original parts if you have the room and get all the paperwork on the car that you can. An original low mileage '96 is a good find, it may be worth more in the future if it's stock or able to be switched back to stock.

As far as the exhaust goes, there are lots (and lots and lots and lots) of exhaust options and opinions around here. Check out this link and go to a couple club events, listen to the cars you like and talk to the owner.
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...ust-Clip-Thread!!!?highlight=ultimate+exhaust

Go get the car before we find it!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Snake Charmer, we all love the 1996 GTS...what a car !! There are, however, a few "issues" to consider, sort, track, plan for.

First, I ALWAYS recommend that you visit a Dodge dealer near you and ask them to run the VIN...noting that they cannot show you the prior owner's info. Look for ownership, locations, service history (if any), repairs, warranty repairs, etc. CarFax helps, but is not fool proof.

I would suggest that you TALK with an owner or two who KNOWS these cars..and is not just selling you the glamorous side of these beauties.

There were several "small worries" that evolved with time...including oil leaks, cracked wheels, timing chain gasket failure, many door harnesses have fatigued and failed, just to name a few.

Maintenance is a critical issue...often overlooked (in MY opinion) by collectors. I still see Gen I and II cars running original fluids at our events...SAD !!! At least track rats maintain their cars!!

Here is a little insight into the oil leaks:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/575897-96-v-97-Viper?highlight=porous+block

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/551964-96-GTS-oil-leaks?highlight=porous+block

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads.......still-leaking.....?highlight=porous+block

Now, PLEASE do not let this discourage you...they are great cars...lots of fun without any electronic nannies. Be informed BEFORE you tr to snap up a bargain.

Next Phase

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a great price on that car... some minor issues to look out for, but nothing crazy.

All I ask is if you don't buy it, pass it to someone from the club...

harley56

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy it, buy it and, again buy it! Then drive it and see what you think of the experience, it is pretty unique. At that point look into mods. If you don't like it you will easily get your money back.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love my 96 GTS... Go for it but as stated above, look it over good, change fluids and inspect the weak links for problems before driving it any long distances.

PS, RevHeats doc that he wrote (stated above) is a must when owning a 96 GTS. He did a great job on it!!!

Last edited: