Now MY car won't start: help wanted...

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Car was having trouble starting, I thought it'd be the battery, as I've needed to replace it every year(even with a tender). I replaced the battery over the weekend, and it still won't kick over.

First, I'm COMPLETELY mechanically incompetent
What the car does:
aftermarket alarm works
locks, radio, etc... work
fuel pump initiates on "on position", (I've tried doing it back and forth to feed more than one second of fuel)
car attempts to kick over, (not the fast paced clicks)

Thing's I've done:
Replaced battery = nothing.
Checked fuses, replaced fuel pump fuse just to be sure.

I'm assuming it's the starter, alternator, or fuel pump... How do I go about checking it? I have no equipment... Help me MacGyver this problem!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assumed you charged the new battery as it may have lost its charge on the shelf? Starter solenoid bad? Without a meter you may have to just call a tech over with the right equipment.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say car attempts to kick over- what do you mean. Does it crank slowly, or like normal?

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Charged battery, don't know about solenoid.

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try pumping the gas pedal like you would for a car that is not fuel injected when you try to start the car. After you get it started, you might need to hold the throttle down at around 2000 rpm for 30 seconds to 1 minute before the computer will reset. Try this and report back.

Rev

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the stock alarm still hooked up? It's not the battery or starter as it's cranking. You could check if your getting fuel at the schrader valve in the engine compt. Get a rag and a small screwdriver and push the tip of the valve in while you cover it with the rag. Hold it in till the fuel stops. If some fuel comes out, try to start the car again and if it doesn't start see if the fuel got replenished at the valve again. If you have fuel then maybe your plugs got fowled.

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may need to disconnect the pcm for a while. I think I had to do that when I replaced my battery

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try pumping the gas pedal like you would for a car that is not fuel injected when you try to start the car. After you get it started, you might need to hold the throttle down at around 2000 rpm for 30 seconds to 1 minute before the computer will reset. Try this and report back.

Rev

Tried pumping the gas pedal. Never can get the car to start.

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the stock alarm still hooked up? It's not the battery or starter as it's cranking. You could check if your getting fuel at the schrader valve in the engine compt. Get a rag and a small screwdriver and push the tip of the valve in while you cover it with the rag. Hold it in till the fuel stops. If some fuel comes out, try to start the car again and if it doesn't start see if the fuel got replenished at the valve again. If you have fuel then maybe your plugs got fowled.

I don't believe the stock alarm is still hooked up. Easy test? I will check for fuel at the Schrader valve in the morning.

You may need to disconnect the pcm for a while. I think I had to do that when I replaced my battery

How do I go about that?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
first thing in all seriousnes-- get rid of that silly aftermarket alarm--- they **** and will drive u nuts when they go awall

MAVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would first look at the aftermarket alarm. Immobiliser probably staying armed?

MARKL488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just Push Lock On The Stock Key Fob Then Push Unlock And Try To Start The Car

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had the aftermarket alarm since 2007, but maybe that would be why the battery needs replacing every year (even on a tender).

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Try to reset the alarms as everyone has said, then, instead of pumping the gas pedal, just hold it to the floor while you crank the engine over, this is clear flood mode and will shut down the injectors completely. Pumping the pedal is almost guaranteed to flood the engine. If that doesn't work we'll have to punt---or just do some testing whichever is more likely to determine the cause of the no-start.

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try to reset the alarms as everyone has said, then, instead of pumping the gas pedal, just hold it to the floor while you crank the engine over, this is clear flood mode and will shut down the injectors completely. Pumping the pedal is almost guaranteed to flood the engine. If that doesn't work we'll have to punt---or just do some testing whichever is more likely to determine the cause of the no-start.

How do I reset the stock alarm? Just lock then unlock with the original keyfob?

The aftermarket alarm has been a pain and I thought it may be the source of my battery woes, so recently I have been using the original keyfob to lock the doors when I take it places.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disconnect the Positive cable attached to the battery and Ground it by holding to the frame or scratching some rust off the battery tray and holding to that.

MARKL488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Open the center console in the back or the top inside there should be a key cylinder put the ignition key in and turn the cylinder and let it come back to center that will reset the factory alarm

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're hearing the fuel pump come on when the key is turned, then it's probably not a fuel issue. As others have said, I'd be very suspicious of the alarm, and I would be checking to see if you have spark at this point.

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a blown fuse down underneath the dash, don't remember which one, but check those carefully and see if you missed one.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it'd be the battery, as I've needed to replace it every year(even with a tender).

Cost of Aftermarket Alarm + Battery1 + Battery2 + Battery3 + .... = :brick: :bonker:

A battery on a tender should last for a very long time, i'd think over 10 years.

Open the center console in the back or the top inside there should be a key cylinder put the ignition key in and turn the cylinder and let it come back to center that will reset the factory alarm

I forget, What years have this??? Negative on my 97...

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've tried lock and unlock on the original keyfob to disarm the alarm. No luck. My car is a 96 GTS, so I don't have the key cylinder in the console.

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Disconnect the Positive cable attached to the battery and Ground it by holding to the frame or scratching some rust off the battery tray and holding to that.

Actually at the battery site behind the wheel, or under the hood? Can it be done at either location? I've already got the wheel back down.. :(

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What are the chances that the PCM is fried? How do I go about testing/replacing that?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Limit, I'm sorry that you are having this trouble. I'm sure there are many unanswered questions that you still have (and, probably questions some of the other posters have as well). I would respectfully suggest that you allot the necessary time, call one of the many well known professionals who regularly post here,and have a focused discussion concerning your car and situation.
Playing post-tag here may/may not work in complex cases...and, sometimes more problems are created than are solved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang