Oh boy, got some problems!

Hotrodder00

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Had my first viper delivered last week. The dealer had to replace the battery, so I've put on about 200 miles getting the drive cycle reset, to no avail. Then today, I got some smoke and a little bit of fluid on the windshield, so I immediately went home and found oil all over the engine. Looks like it originated from the supercharger! What do you think?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Am I absolutely crazy to think I can keep driving it to try and reset the drive cycle...my temporary plate expires in 2 days! Help!

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO you'd be crazy to keep driving it, yes. You need to track down the source of your oil leak and have it fixed.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand wanting to get plates on your car, but I'd figure this one out before driving it any more. The supercharger seems to be the likely candidate looking at the splatters on the hood and the rest of the engine bay, but the better question is why? Hot oil flinging around the engine bay is not a good thing, and if it is spraying everywhere, the part that needs that oil will soon be deprived of it.

Just normal driving, or were you generating some heat when it happened?

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I absolutely crazy to think I can keep driving it to try and reset the drive cycle...my temporary plate expires in 2 days! Help!

Don't drive it!
Get an extension on the temps today at the local agency... that'll give you the time to get things fixed without all the stress.
Good luck with it.

Mike

OP
OP
H

Hotrodder00

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I was literally doing 65mph for about 70 miles around Phoenix and found the splatters and oil on the garage the next day. I'm taking it to a viper tech, Eddie, on wednesday, but yeah, I decided I'm not going to risk driving it, I'll try and get an extension or pay the fines for not having it registered on time, but it's not worth compromising other parts of the engine!

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's nothin', when it really goes you'll need the windshield wipers on and you'll be ringing out that hood pad. :crazy2:

On a side note, looks like you have the wrong anti-freeze formula in there; coolant is G-05 (orange) from the factory. If green ethylene glycol is mixed with an orange formula such as DexCool they form a gel-like substance that restricts coolant flow and consequently the engine overheats. Hopefully someone did a full flush before adding the green coolant.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On a side note, looks like you have the wrong anti-freeze formula in there.

Where in those pics did you see the wrong anti-freeze?

Well i hope you get your car fixed up and there is not much wrong with it. Hopefully loose fitting or something. Good luck.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the green is caused by the camera flash to me. As I see green spots on the upper right coming down as well. But it would be good to check anyway.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe while its in the shop it should be givin a good once over.

OP
OP
H

Hotrodder00

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told that it was set up on stock boost. I hadn't even had time to take it to a Paxton dealer to have a once-over on the system. I also wanted to see about a boost gauge install.

I definitely am going to have it looked over carefully, thanks for the advice, everyone!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the green is caused by the camera flash to me. As I see green spots on the upper right coming down as well. But it would be good to check anyway.

You can see the green inside the coolant reservoir, last photo. Coolant should be bright orange.

Sorry to see the problems, especially as a new owner. Appears to be a head unit seal, as mentioned before.

Tony

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxton blew a seal. DONT DRIVE IT!!!! 2 locals here have had bad pistons because of oil in the cylinders causing detonation. Paxton doesn't stand behind thier product very well..............

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paxton blew a seal. DONT DRIVE IT!!!! 2 locals here have had bad pistons because of oil in the cylinders causing detonation. Paxton doesn't stand behind thier product very well..............

This. I had a Paxton in my V10 truck a decade ago, and had to sell the truck. I will never even consider a Paxton-anything again. There customer service, was non-existant.

That being said, congrats on the new car, and I hope you get it fixed.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off are you sure it is oil and not antifreeze? Is your oil level low? Your Paxton intercooler should have green antifreeze while the car should have red. Makes it easier to tell which one is leaking. If it is oil, then I would say the Paxton blew a seal. If antifreeze then you need to figure out which system has which color. My Paxton reservoir would blow antifreeze from under the cap, it was green. Rigged up an expansion tank to the cap and that stopped it, exactly like your car's radiator. Prior to doing that I would regularly have antifreeze all over the engine compartment. The fan would blow it everywhere. If it is antifreeze then check the cap on the intercooler tank to see if it is blowing by it. Have the same problem on my supercharged Saleen but haven't fixed it yet.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Take our air filter off. If you blew a seal you will see oil in there by the supercharger. It will come out the blow off valve on the drivers side bottom of the intercooler. It will spray as you drive but not usually on the passenger side.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...oh, and I'd add a wideband gauge in addition to a boost gauge. Or IN PLACE OF a boost gauge, if you only have room for one... IMO, no FI car should be without one.

Good luck with this, I know it's a bummer.

Rich

OP
OP
H

Hotrodder00

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it definitely has the look and feel of oil on the garage floor, haven't tasted it yet though. Antifreeze would be sweet to the taste....but slightly toxic.

What brand(s) of wideband gauge do you guys recommend/use? AEM? Do most people run those with a boost gauge on an A-pillar cluster? I'm not ready to track it yet, but I'm a fan of monitoring my car and making sure it's running like it should be!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can see the green inside the coolant reservoir, last photo. Coolant should be bright orange.

Sorry to see the problems, especially as a new owner. Appears to be a head unit seal, as mentioned before.

Tony
When my serpentine belt came off & some of the coolant overflowed it was a bright lime green. Is the Gen II's different than the Gen III's or does that mean somebody has put in a different coolant in it before. Never had any problems with it over-heating!

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960