Oxygen Sensor/Exhaust Install HELP!

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the stock exhaust (from cats back) undone and off the car EXCEPT the passenger side because the Oxygen Sensor bolt is striped and the open ended wrench is not catching anyway I try. I've sprayed on bolt/joint lubricant/loosener and that has not helped. How the hell am I going to get this thing off? Should I cut the wires? I really need some advice here. I was on such a roll getting this thing off till this happen. And unfortunately it was already stripped. HELP ME!!
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There was only one section where there were O2 sensors and that was on the intermediate pipe after the side muffler and before the rear muffler. I ended up just cutting the wires. I'll have to get a new sensor and plug. Now my problem is getting the clamps on the 3" part of the exhaust.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was only one section where there were O2 sensors and that was on the intermediate pipe after the side muffler and before the rear muffler. I ended up just cutting the wires. I'll have to get a new sensor and plug. Now my problem is getting the clamps on the 3" part of the exhaust.

"Rear muffler"?, well then its not a GenIII - but you might not want to assume everyone knows what year you've got. Not trying to be rude, but I might have been able to help if it was a GenIII...

Ron

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Haha, my fault, on the alley I have a signature, forgot that wasn't on here. It's a 97 GTS. I'm having trouble getting the 3" clamps on the parts of the piping where they are supposed to go. The 2.5" clamps went on no problem.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since the head of the O2 sensor is striped anyway, I'd just unplug it and replace it with a new one. leave the old one in the old exhaust and forget it.

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, thats what I ended up doing. Now my problem is that I can't get the 3" clamps on to the pipes. The 2.5" ones slid right on no problem. The other clamps are bigger than the 2.5's but I think they must have given me the wrong clamps. Just waiting to hear back from Corsa now, unless any of you other guys with the Corsa know what I'm missing?

OP
OP
C

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess I could try there. I went to Pepboys and they didn't have the same kinda clamps. I'm worried that if I used a different kind of clamp, I might have leaks

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the stock exhaust (from cats back) undone and off the car EXCEPT the passenger side because the Oxygen Sensor bolt is striped and the open ended wrench is not catching anyway I try. I've sprayed on bolt/joint lubricant/loosener and that has not helped. How the hell am I going to get this thing off? Should I cut the wires? I really need some advice here. I was on such a roll getting this thing off till this happen. And unfortunately it was already stripped. HELP ME!!
You must be registered for see images

Chipster,

One should never use an open end or box wrench on an O2 Sensor. Any parts store can order you a 3/8" drive deep socket that is made for removing and reinstalling O2 Sensors. The socket has a 1/4" slot down the side of it so the wires can fit in the socket and it has a hex on top so you can use a wrench or a ratchet on it.

Hope this helps,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang